Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 10:01:31 AM EDT
Suck it, RINO boy!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-5761204,00.html

CHICAGO (AP) - Former Gov. George Ryan, who drew international praise when he commuted the sentences of everyone on Illinois' death row, was convicted of racketeering and fraud Monday in a corruption scandal that ended his political career.

Ryan, 72, faces up to 20 years in prison for racketeering conspiracy, the most serious of the charges in the 22-count indictment.

The jury found him guilty on all charges.

Ryan was accused of steering big-money state contracts and leases, including a $25 million IBM computer deal, to his friends and political insiders.

In return, Ryan was rewarded with annual winter vacations in Jamaica, stays in Cancun and Palm Springs and gifts ranging from a golf bag to $145,000 in loans to his brother's business, prosecutors said.

U.S. District Judge Rebecca R. Pallmeyer summoned attorneys to her courtroom Monday for the verdict to be read.

The jury's decision ends the state's biggest political corruption trial in decades, and draws a conclusion on the long career of a politician who gained international fame as a death penalty critic but left office in 2003 amid a widespread corruption scandal.

The charges stemmed from an eight-year investigation of corruption, starting at the drivers licensing bureau and eventually reaching the governor's office.

Ryan was indicted about a year after he left office. He was charged with racketeering conspiracy, mail fraud, obstructing the Internal Revenue Service, tax fraud and lying to the FBI, much of it from his time as secretary of state in the 1990s.

Ryan's co-defendant, Chicago businessman Larry Warner, 67, allegedly made $3 million from Ryan-era deals. Warner was charged with racketeering conspiracy, mail fraud, attempted extortion, illegally structuring bank withdrawals and money laundering.

Neither man took the stand during their trial, but both repeatedly said nothing they did was illegal.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#1]
seeeeya
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#2]
[emeril]Bam![/emeril]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
[emeril]Bam![/emeril]

BAM BAM!

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeeha, couldn't ha've happened to a nicer guy.  Goodbye and good riddance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#5]
And the sad thing is...I miss him.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, great.  But WGN is showing that crap instead of Magmum, PI.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
And the sad thing is...I miss him.

This is so true. Now if this article was about Daley...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Ah Illinois politics. Gov. Ryan, D.Rostenkowski, E. Vrdolyak, H. Washington,
                          Both Daleys, Dorothy Tillman  (Hat lady) and a host of other scumbags
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You forgot, Judie Barr Topinka is running for Governor...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Look what I dug up on Reuters :

CHICAGO (AP) - In addition to the aforementioned story on Former Gov. George Ryan, the trial had a different twist than most.

Near the end of the trial, an older gentleman listened closely for the jury to come bag with the verdict. As the judge read the convicting verdict aloud, the older gentleman, who wishes only to be named as TheBeekeeper1, rose quickly and yelled "TAG!" before the crooked governor could receive his sentencing to ban him from public society.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You forgot, Judie Barr Topinka is running for Governor...

Vacated Illini in 93'
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dont forget Betty!!!

The only negative about his conviction is that it will likely wrap up Blago's re-election bid. They will likely wear out the video clip of JBT (Topinka) doing the Polka with Ryan The new "assault weapon ban" that Blago and Daley and all of their cronies support calls for prohibiting possession, sale, and manufacture of all weapons which fall under the ban. Armalite, RRA, LMT, and other IL. manufacturing residents will have to stop making AR's or move out of state. Law-Abiding IL. AR-15 owners will (by law) be required to surrender, or move their rifles out of state

Other than that, im glad he was convicted, and hope Daley is next!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#13]

illegally structuring bank withdrawals

What's this mean?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#14]
AMF
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Look what I dug up on Reuters :

CHICAGO (AP) - In addition to the aforementioned story on Former Gov. George Ryan, the trial had a different twist than most.

Near the end of the trial, an older gentleman listened closely for the jury to come bag with the verdict. As the judge read the convicting verdict aloud, the older gentleman, who wishes only to be named as TheBeekeeper1, rose quickly and yelled "TAG!" before the crooked governor could receive his sentencing to ban him from public society.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What's this mean?

Another thing for the feds to get you on.

Basically banks must report larger withdrawls and deposits to the federal government, often in the name of the war on drugs or the war on terrorism or whatever phantom menace exists.

If you make an effort to stay below the radar by making many withdrawls / deposits below the reporting threshold, they can get you for 'structuring'.

So you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's this mean?

Another thing for the feds to get you on.

Basically banks must report larger withdrawls and deposits to the federal government, often in the name of the war on drugs or the war on terrorism or whatever phantom menace exists.

If you make an effort to stay below the radar by making many withdrawls / deposits below the reporting threshold, they can get you for 'structuring'.

So you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

NExt time I buy a vehicle, I'm gonna pay cash, just to give those fucks something to waste their time on...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll believe they're serious about cleaning up corruption in Illinois politics when I read this about Daley.  This is a good start, but I won't be holding my breath.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top