Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/26/2003 5:16:44 PM EDT
I am making some bookcases, barrister style.

The overall height of my units is 16 inches, with a usable height of 13 after the hardware and cross pieces/shelves.

Will it look okay to make one of the four case pieces 20 inches (17 inches usable) for my taller books?

I am making it out of red oak, and just got the first two units glued up today.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:21:49 PM EDT
Pictures, we need pictures!! I find little that relaxes my soul more than transforming raw lumber into items of use in my home.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:50:21 PM EDT
Hell NO. what kind of a psycho idea is that? Making bookshelves that your books will fit in? Why Why Why that almost makes sense. You're supposed to make home projects that nothing fits in. These are individual stackers that you stack on each other right? Actually I'ld probably make them all the same height. If you have the room go for the same size, if you don't go for what fits. It's always easy to have extra room and not use it, it's not having enough room that gets annoying.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:51:46 PM EDT
Anybody want to make stocks and handguards for my Dragunov? The handguards look nice, but are veneer over plywood. The stock is butt ugly (pun intended). The shape is cool, but it looks like it was made from exterior grade plywood and shellacked to death.[puke] What would be cool is hardwood handguards and a laminated stock, both made from something like bloodwood. Just tossing out an idea... CW
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:00:27 PM EDT
It might look more balanced if you make one unit twenty inches, one unit eighteen inches, and two units sixteen inches. Tallest unit on the bottom, graduating in size as you go up.
Top Top