Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 5:30:12 PM EDT
[url]http://www.canada.com/news/story.asp?id=FC0FE1BE-AB75-4D41-B83B-9D6276EC8B50[/url]

Woman helping out at day-care centre charged for breast-feeding another's baby

Canadian Press

Tuesday, June 03, 2003
ADVERTISEMENT

STIGLER, Okla. (AP) - A woman was charged with breast-feeding someone else's baby at a day-care centre without the parents' knowledge.

Prosecutors charged Shannon Denney, 32, with outraging public decency and public morals, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $500 US fine. Denney, whose own child attended the day-care centre, apparently decided to help out one day in late November or early December by breast-feeding a three-month-old girl, authorities said. "The baby was crying and they were feeding it a bottle and that didn't stop it," prosecutor Ron Boyer said.

The baby's mother found out months later when a rumour circulated around the town of 2,500, he said.

"It got back to the mother," Boyer said. "The mother confronted the woman and asked her about it and she admitted that it happened."

After the alleged incident, Denney bought the day-care centre, but she has since closed it.

The state Department of Human Services, which licenses day-care centres, has no policy on breast-feeding someone else's child.

"It's a common sense sort of thing," department spokesman George Johnson said. "It's something that today you don't even think about."

Viruses can be transmitted through breast milk.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=%22wet+nurse%22[/url]

One of the most common things in the world. Sorry, I don't see anything wrong with that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Word is that AIDS virus can be transmitted thru breast milk. I haven't heard about a "wet nurse" in years, but I'm not around infants or people that have them much anymore.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Word is that AIDS virus can be transmitted thru breast milk.
View Quote

What word is that?  Although the [b]HIV[/b] virus has been found to be present in breast milk, it is not an accepted modality of infection.  Similarly, while the HIV virus is found in saliva, kissing does not transmit HIV.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Why was a 3 month old at day care instead of with the mother??

I am always contantly amazed at how women leave their kids at a day care yet scream bloody murder when they disagree with the raising.

Hint women of the world.  If you want your kids raised a certain way then raise them your own damn self!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]

What word is that?  Although the [b]HIV[/b] virus has been found to be present in breast milk, it is not an accepted modality of infection.  Similarly, while the HIV virus is found in saliva, kissing does not transmit HIV.[/quote]

Could you explain why not?
(No hijack intended)
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Wonder if baby liked Daycare Lady's milk better?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
That link should've come with a pic. [rofl]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]
give me a flippin break...everybodies a victim!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
give me a flippin break...everybodies a victim!
View Quote

Yep...and this one didn't find out she was a "victim" until 4 months later!

We have reached the point in our society where most folks have entirely too little to worry about...and thus make up new things as compensation.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Just when I think I have heard it all, I come into ARF.com's GD forum and realize I haven't heard anything! LOL. This is by far the best news site on the web and I rarely ever bother checking the national media anymore. Hell, why should I? All the best stories are on this page!

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What word is that?  Although the [b]HIV[/b] virus has been found to be present in breast milk, it is not an accepted modality of infection.  Similarly, while the HIV virus is found in saliva, kissing does not transmit HIV.
View Quote

Could you explain why not?
(No hijack intended)
View Quote

I retract my earlier post.  It turns out breast feeding can transmit HIV although it is rare.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#14]
[baby] My young'un would have been stoked........ [naughty]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[baby] My young'un would have been stoked........ [naughty]
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
You know, this kinda makes you think, what if this had been a "gay care center"?[peep]

Later,

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
You know, I can't help but wonder what would have happened had this been a "gay-care centre?"   [peep]

Later,

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You know, this kinda makes you think, what if this had been a "gay care center"?[peep]

Later,

View Quote

good word play....im at a loss for words
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Possibly because the parents couldn't afford to raise a kid on one income alone? You know, what with the economy being kind of shitty right now? Taxes and all that?
Or in case she was a single mom, don't you prefer her working instead of sucking the government tit (contextual pun strictly intended)?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, it is quite evident that she.....did it for the child(ren)!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I retract my earlier post.  It turns out breast feeding can transmit HIV although it is rare.
View Quote

How about the spit?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you kidding!?!?!?! If that was my kid the woman would be in a world of hurt! Breast feeding can transmit HIV, HEP A,B,C. What this woman did is essentially assault and should be treated as such. I disagree with having a kid in daycare (Mrs Doc is a full time mom), but I can understand the need of both parents to work to live in our overtaxed times.
What this woman did was an incredible violation of trust and common sense much less a violation of contemporary mores.
I say keelhaul her!
Breast feeding actually can easily transmit HIV. French kissing can as well, although if the oral mucosa is intact, transmission is less likely. What this woman did is wrong, wrong, wrong.
Need I say I disagree with her choice?
Wrong!
Bad babysitter!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#25]

I am always contantly amazed at how women leave their kids at a day care yet scream bloody murder when they disagree with the raising.

Hint women of the world. If you want your kids raised a certain way then raise them your own damn self!

Sgtar15
View Quote

HINT TO NEANDERTHAL: Ever heard of a job or gainful employment? Of course you haven't, or you wouldn't have posted anything that STUPID.

Incidentally, this Shannon Denney is actually an attorney over in Stigler. Apparently her law practice is one of the full-service variety.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#27]
OK - then why are people having children they can't afford to raise on their income? With condom give aways at school, planned parenthood giving out birthcontrol and abortion on demand there has to be a way to control your reproduction?
View Quote

Who says they can't afford to raise their kids on their income? In case you haven't noticed, child care is fairly damned pricey.

Too many people don't want to give up the satellite television, two cell phones, the boat, the second new car, the big screen projection television, the vacation to the beach, the smoking, the drinking, the gambling, to bother to take care of their children.
View Quote

And too many people want to pay for their kids' college funds. Selfish bastards.

I've been around the world and have seen the filth of two dozen countries (join the Navy, see the arm pits of the world!). The people are living in hand made homes, eating hand-to-mouth and wearing rags, they're kids have no shoes and little future - but those people are happy. They laugh, sing, play and socialize unlike American society.
View Quote

So've I. So what?

It use to be that mom staid home and took care fo the kids. Taught them what life was, how to be human, and taught them maners. Yeah, we only had one phone line, black and white television, didn't have air conditioning until I was about 12, our first color TV set about that same time. Dad drove an old car and mom drove an older car.
View Quote

And it used to be that there weren't too many jobs or educational opportunities for a woman outside the home. Ozzie and Harriet were a TV family. Reality is different.

Your kids aren't going to remember having the latest gameboy, Nintendo game, or electric scooter. They will remember that you were never really interested in them. That stuff came first and they came only a distant second or even third behind that stinking job that pays for that all imporant stuff.

We have tens of thousands of feral children raised by the dozens - our future cold stone blood killers and ADD/HA-AAD kids.
View Quote

So you give everyone whose kids are in daycare that blanket categorization? Have you ever had any children?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The people are living in hand made homes, eating hand-to-mouth and wearing rags, they're kids have no shoes and little future - but those people are happy. They laugh, sing, play and socialize unlike American society.
View Quote

And they usually despise Americans.........  [rolleyes]  

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Take it easy on that "over taxed". After child care and earned income credits, some low income people don't pay any taxes at all, they get back more than what was withheld.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top