Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2018 5:29:19 AM EDT
A Texas woman filed for $1 million in damages from a Chinese buffet after she allegedly suffered a terrifying bout of “fried rice syndrome.”

Germaine Mobley, 62, said went to Asian King Buffet in Waxahachie for a lunch in 2016 that left her gravely ill in an intensive care unit, the Dallas News reported.

Mobley claimed in the lawsuit that she was sickened by Bacillus cereus, also known as “fried rice syndrome,” a type of bacteria often found in foods kept at room temperature.

Mobley said she ordered fried rice at the restaurant and began to feel sick during the drive home.

“Everything tasted fine,” Mobley told news station WFMY.

Mobley, who had pre-existing health conditions, went to the hospital the following day when her health continued to deteriorate, according to the news station.

“I just started vomiting,” she told WFMY. “The next morning, I was having problems breathing, so my husband called an ambulance.”

She stayed in the ICU for eight days, where she was put on a ventilator, according to the Dallas News.

“’Fried rice syndrome’ sounds like a joke, but it’s very serious,” Mobley’s attorney Kathryn Knotts told the Dallas News.

Asian King Buffet’s owner has denied Mobley’s allegations that its food made her sick, WFMY reported.

Linky
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:36:42 AM EDT
[#1]
They should give her a coupon for one free meal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
You know it's good rice when the VTEC kicks in yo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
So like, how do we know she didn't eat something earlier in the day that caused it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#4]
If it can be proven that the Chinese didn’t do something right with the food....then slap them.

1 million? Get fucked.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Smokey and the Bandit Germans
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#6]
After the drive home, she felt better.  But in half an hour, she felt sick again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:07:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I've seen enough behind the scenes at Asian restaurants that I don't eat at them. If forced by circumstances to attend, I'll have a Pepsi or hot tea. I'll hit White Castle on the way home.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:09:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Why you no rike a my shitty rice ?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After the drive home, she felt better.  But in half an hour, she felt sick again.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember being at a Chinese Restaurant in California years ago and seeing them place strainers on top of the floor drains in the kitchen then pouring pots of rice and boiling water into the strainers.

I told the manager they should not be doing that because of the back splash from the filthy floor drains and the steam rising back up from the hot water in the drain will contaminate the rice.

He said he would take care of it but I doubt he did, needless to say we left without ordering.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Sum ting wong?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Flied lice?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#14]
So she got food poisoning. That's not a million dollar thing, sorry.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#15]
First thing I thought of when I saw the name
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Why don’t Chinese restaurants just make people sign waivers before they eat?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So like, how do we know she didn't eat something earlier in the day that caused it?
View Quote
At a buffet, unless they got other sick customers, that's most likely.

Chances are this is a hambeast, and she's probably hoovering up food from all sorts of places in questionable condition.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#18]
It usually takes a LOT longer then 1/2 hour or so for food poisoning to hit someone. One usually has to look at what someone ate the previous day as opposed to the meal one just ate.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It usually takes a LOT longer then 1/2 hour or so for food poisoning to hit someone. One usually has to look at what someone ate the previous day as opposed to the meal one justy ate.
View Quote
Typically at least 3 hours to feel the first symptoms.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I went with an ex to a local now closed Hong Kong super (diarrhea) buffet. We made it from the buffet to my house before having a full bowel explosion.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#21]
My immune system must be next-level because I've eaten at just about every shady buffet (Chinese and otherwise) I've come across and I've never gotten sick.

The fucking Afghani restaurant by BWI put me in the emergency room, though
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Probably infected with Feline AIDS now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

She probably didn't wash her hands.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like some one is working on her retirement plan.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is when you hit 62 and realize you have no savings and SS is not going to cover it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, if she was at a Chinese buffet. That's a form of gambling. But, that's neither here nor there. If she got food poisoning from the restaurant, then they are liable.

Give her 7 free meals.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#27]
The American path to wealth has long ceased to be working hard and building a business but to suing the sh*t out of someone.  Instead of creating wealth, we transfer wealth today.  Tort reform now!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

She probably didn't wash her hands.
View Quote
It's already been discovered that she didn't get e-coli.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#29]
She should have had a better gut biome to handle the bacteria
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Mobley, who had pre-existing health conditions, 
View Quote
Of course she did.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#32]
The Chinese restaurant here got shutdown by the health inspectors when they found a road kill dear cooking in a pot. Apparently they had been collecting road kill for sometime. Glad I never ate there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I thought fried rice syndrome meant she was suing them for a cool milli because she felt hungry again half an hour later.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I went with an ex to a local now closed Hong Kong super (diarrhea) buffet. We made it from the buffet to my house before having a full bowel explosion.
View Quote
Those are the best, not only do you get to eat as much as you want but it's calorie neutral.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My immune system must be next-level because I've eaten at just about every shady buffet (Chinese and otherwise) I've come across and I've never gotten sick.

The fucking Afghani restaurant by BWI put me in the emergency room, though
View Quote
Interesting news piece, though.
Usually, the customers seem to graze away at the fried rice pan enough so the employees bring out a fresh and hot pan of fried rice regularly.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on the organism.

The patient landed in ICU, the medical bill will be outrageous. I'm willing to bet the restaurant has been sited for issues in the past.

Some of these organisms can cause organ failure and death from the toxins.

Some of them can come from contaminated food supply, like salmonella, some from shear negligence.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
At a buffet, unless they got other sick customers, that's most likely.

Chances are this is a hambeast, and she's probably hoovering up food from all sorts of places in questionable condition.
View Quote
Wrong.

People react to organisms differently. It has to do with many things. One that comes to my mind are antacids and other meds.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#38]
You can sue anyone .. the burden of proof and all this bull shit is on now the defendant .... Guilty unless you prove you're not  The loser should pay all the attorneys fees to avoid this crap.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It usually takes a LOT longer then 1/2 hour or so for food poisoning to hit someone. One usually has to look at what someone ate the previous day as opposed to the meal one just ate.
View Quote
There are illnesses caused by the bacteria living in your gut, and there are illnesses caused by the toxins secreted by the bacteria in the food. Those will hit you pretty fast.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Food poisoning is SOP at Chinese buffets.

Last time I ate at one I needed a seatbelt on the terlet the next day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I remember being at a Chinese Restaurant in California years ago and seeing them place strainers on top of the floor drains in the kitchen then pouring pots of rice and boiling water into the strainers.

I told the manager they should not be doing that because of the back splash from the filthy floor drains and the steam rising back up from the hot water in the drain will contaminate the rice.

He said he would take care of it but I doubt he did, needless to say we left without ordering.
View Quote
Holy shit
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Chinese restaurant here got shutdown by the health inspectors when they found a road kill dear cooking in a pot. Apparently they had been collecting road kill for sometime. Glad I never ate there.
View Quote
We had a similar case here as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Borderline racist.

Improper holding temp -- it's not just for fried rice.  Zona Peligrosa, Lana!

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank god it was not a Dirty Fork!

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#45]
MSG
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#46]
You go home now, you been here four hour.  You eat too much.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Gives me an excuse to post this.

Which is cool as shit.   Not sure how it tastes, but supposedly a little sweet since there's mung beans, coconut milk, and sugar included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_95LZR3dQY
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There are illnesses caused by the bacteria living in your gut, and there are illnesses caused by the toxins secreted by the bacteria in the food. Those will hit you pretty fast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. The incubation period for b. cereus, can be as short as 30 minutes for vomiting..
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Wife and I were eating at a Chinese restaurant many years ago in Charlotte, NC, and had a very large cockroach crawl across our table. The waiter reached across our table and grabbed it and proceeded to crush it in his bare hands directly over our plates, silverware and drink glasses. He then said that cockroaches were common visitors to this particular table as it was close to the kitchen.

We left, of course, but not before receiving a “heartfelt” apology from the owner, who also offered a substantial perk for our troubles . . . Rather than comp’ing our meal, he offered us a 10% discount off our NEXT visit.

Cue the “nope nope nope” meme.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:25:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Sounds stupid,... but a little bit of googling shows that it is a real thing. It is a really stupid colloquial term as it sounds like some made up bullshit, but it is a bacteria that tends to form on fried rice I guess?

Bacillus Cereus aka "Fried Rice Syndrome"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top