Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/11/2001 4:46:08 PM EDT
My wife has told me I can only have 4 guns (except for my business). 1 small handgun for defense. 1 set up for IDPA. 1 long arm. 1 shotgun. unless I can prove owning more is not weird or abnormal. Can I get some help here? Backround is she is from N.Ireland and really doesn't like guns because the brits used to point them at her and also killed some of her friends.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
First words out of my wife's mouth: "If her friends had had guns then they might still be alive."
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]
keep the guns, trade the wife.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say your best bet is to suggest the self-defense angle to get her shooting, it may become fun after a while, and she will want her own....

I find it kind of Ironic that coming from N. Ireland where the Irish are/feel oppressed by England, that she is not FOR arming yourself to keep ones freedom.

I think I'll leave it at that.

Now, as far as normal goes, a have 5 different handguns to fit different times/situations/applications.

I have many rifles of a historical nature.  I have self defense sport utility rifles, for myself, and my GF.  A shotgun for myself, soon my GF.  MY GF has/will soon have 3 different pistol to suit different carry applications.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I could never live in a situation like that. I hell have more than 4 .22's.

You could always tell her you will just spend the extra money on booze, drugs & other women.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Im only 24 and I have 2 handguns, 5 rifles and a shotgun. I don't care if there is no real reason to get a new one other than you want it. Look we are free in america and thats what makes us different than N. Ireland. I would set down and explain to her how important it is to you and that there is no logical reason to be limited to one of any type of gun. it only takes one gun to kill and the b@$tards in N. Ireland probably only used one gun at a time to kill her friends. If she is OK with one gun then it shouldn't make any difference as to how many more you have. Just sit down and talk about it if that doesn't solve it then you need to seriosly think about a shrink so she can deal with her past.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell her 4 is not nearly enough.  How is this for helping [img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/eQ/bX/tp/oI15097.jpg[/img]and I still don't have enough.  I have added 3 pistols since this shot was taken. Now, I live at the beach, so she has to know that I am not weird.  Tell her that we aren't the Brits.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
You need to add a few M1A's Larry.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, I have seen this type of thread MANY times, and will offer what advice I can.  Take it for what it is worth.

You may NEVER be able to convince her of your way of thinking.  Too much emotional baggage and history due to her past.  You can try reason, logic, emotion, threats, etc.  However, here is my advice:

Tell her that this is your HOBBY - it is something that you enjoy a lot, and if, after you work hard all month you have a little extra money left after bills, then you are entitled to spend it however you please.  If she starts copping an attitude, then turn the tables and tell her that you never place limits on her hobbies, spending, etc.  Why does SHE need so many pairs of shoes?  Dresses?  Makeup?  Perfumes?  Does she collect Hummel figures?  Does she have a hobby that she spends money on?  

Use this tactic, and her reaction will tell you a lot.  If she still doesn't agree or still bitches, then go ahead and do what YOU want to do anyway.  If you let her win this one, then next she'll say you should only have 2 guns, then 1 gun, then no guns.  See?  

If this causes a SERIOUS row, then you must ask yourself if this is the kind of relationship that you wish to continue.

Thank the powers that be that I have a wife who all but MAKES me buy more guns!

Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
My 18 year old daughter just informed my wife that "the first thing she wants when she turns 21 is a gun". Good luck, man!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You need to add a few M1A's Larry.
View Quote
For some reason, I just never could get into those.  Maybe because the M14 replaced the M1 and I thought that was sacrilegious.  Plus that would mean another caliber to keep up with.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife has 2 pistols, 3 22lr rifles and 2 shotguns. I have 2 Ar15s, 2 03A3s, 3 Garands, 2 308 long guns, 5 22lrs, 5 shotguns, 1 303 Savage 99 and 5 pistols and thinking about an M1A. A year ago April she wouldn't touch a gun said no one had a good use for gun. I go to the range these days because she keeps bugging me to take her. We're at the range at least one day each weekend. I got the BEST wife in world.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#13]
That's reasonable...

Now go buy a Colt Gov't Carbine Get an M4 flattop upper for it Trick it out with RAS, Aimpoint, ITT 6015, IR laser, Gem-tech Suppressor, and Beta C Mag, and .22 conversion kit.

Then Get a Barrett .50 cal with the best optics money can buy, and NV for that, too.

Then get a preban Franchi SPAS-15.

Now it's time for a preban Hk91, or the most suped-up M1A on Earth.

(figure a way to get an Hk Mk23 Tactical in there)

I could live with just these.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: My wife has told me I can only have 4 guns (except for my business). 1 small handgun for defense. 1 set up for IDPA. 1 long arm. 1 shotgun. unless I can prove owning more is not weird or abnormal. Can I get some help here? Backround is she is from N.Ireland and really doesn't like guns because the brits used to point them at her and also killed some of her friends.
View Quote

Take her out to the range with you sometime. It worked for me. A while back I decided to buy a pistol, took her out a few times and the rest is history. She enjoys shooting and is buying a pistol this weekend. After shooting my buddies AR she told me "We need to get one of those".

Good luck showing her the light...
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Your wife thinks owning more than 4 guns is weird? How did she arrive at that number? I can think of at least a dozen main stream shooting sports that each require a unquie type firearm , so tell her to chill out and cut you some slack and settle on a even dozen. Hell , my wife insisted on both of my kids getting a AR15 as their first birthday presents. my little girl is 4 years old and my new son is 5 months but they both have their own black gun. Now that might be a little weird.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Where the frick did your wife come up with the number 4??  I think what's really weird is that she came up with that number, not that you want to own guns.  Her argument would make a lot more sense if she didn't want you to have any guns, but four???  Man that's weird.  Tell her you have a different opinion and believe that more then 107 guns is weird.  107 is ok, but 108 that's weird.  Man that's like her saying you can only hold up four banks.  You're fighting against that cultural thing.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#18]
On one of our first dates, I took my wife shooting. She even helped me clean them afterwards.

Oh, and she had never fired a gun before that. She grew up in California and lived in Chicago for awhile. So she had little to no experiance with them.

Maybe I got lucky, but she doesn't say anything about my gun addiction as long as the bills get paid.

I don't know, but the four weapons thing sounds like a bit much to me. Try taking her out to the range.

Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#19]
My name is BusMaster007, and I am a gun-junkie...

My thought is that if you take her to the gunshop and/or gunshow and let [i]her[/i] pick one for herself, she will have the pride of ownership to start with.  Then, offer her a chance to take one of the women only classes that are available.

Buy her a NRA membership; a concealed carry license; etc.  Let her feel the responsibility and pride.

It might work for you.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Grow a pair.
Next time, look before you leap.  Since you are posting this on a gun site, I must assume that your gun collection is important to you.  You really should have figured this out before jumping in with both feet.  
I know, I know.  It feels soooo good.  Unfortunately, that does not a relationship make.
Tell her the brits used to point guns at us.  The difference is we pointed back.  We gave the diplomacy thing a chance.  Just not for 80 years.

Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Tell her you would like to compromise.  If she would only add a 0 after that 4, you could live with that.  No really, that's what I would do.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife won't let me anywhere near a gun, or intern for that matter.  [smoke]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Wotta load of BS.  Hell, you need four guns for cowboy action shooting alone!  Tell her it's better than spending the money on drugs, booze and chasing women.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My wife has told me I can only have 4 guns
View Quote

4.....4.....possible limit to 4 of the same type, actually that would still be a bit restrictive.

Tell her you don't like shoe's because your dad used to hit you with them when you were young and your friend was once knocked unconscious by one. So she can only have four pairs, boots, dress, running and her choice. You need the guns to keep away the bad people who may point guns at you and your family.
Also she needs to learn to shoot to protect herself while you are not around.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#26]
[img]http://a1964.g.akamai.net/7/1964/1392/1dcf6501c8f9fa/images.ucomics.com/comics/mb/2001/mb010711.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
keep the guns, trade the wife.
View Quote

i'll give you a pre ban ruger 10/22 aw and a 10 shot 870........i might even throw in a fine german 22 revolver
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#28]
i could cover all the bases with maybe 15 guns, but that would be waayyyy too restrictive
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I have five, and I am only 19. Mini-14 for PP, 16 gauge with ten shot extendor for pp/rabbit hunting, A-bolt .270 for deer, A 12 gauge for Turkeys/Geese/PP/Deer, and A Model 60 .22lr for squirrel hunting. Going to get an AR-15 to replace the mini-14 soon. Might get an SKS and add a full-auto simulator for fun. SO at age 19 I have five guns. MOstly  "inherited" or bought for me by a legal adult at a younger age.

One other thing, we fired back when the bittish pointed guns at us, That's how we got independance. If they would just arm themselves and actually put up a goodfight, they would be free too.

Finally if anyone one here lives in GA and wants a husband for their daughter who is a good-looking-church-going-patriotic-gun-nut. Thne please spare me of finding a wife like this guy did. LOL

-Chuck
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My wife has told me I can only have 4 guns (except for my business). 1 small handgun for defense. 1 set up for IDPA. 1 long arm. 1 shotgun. unless I can prove owning more is not weird or abnormal. Can I get some help here? Backround is she is from N.Ireland and really doesn't like guns because the brits used to point them at her and also killed some of her friends.
View Quote

Explain to your wife that in THIS country we can have whatever we want and can afford. Tell her we aren't running around killing each other based upon f*cked up religious beliefs, so we can safely own guns. Unlike some parts of the world just north of England.

But more importantly, what happened to "love, honor and OBEY?" She does remember that part right? So why is she issuing orders to her husband? And more importantly, why do YOU allow it? If you can afford it, do whatever. If she limits what brings you happiness and security then that speaks VOLUMES about how she feels about YOU and the marriage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can understand why she feels that way, but what difference would it make if you had four or forty(to her).

When I was in my teens, we made an annual trip to N.Irlend for three weeks in the summers. I will never forget my first year there. We were stopped at a checkpoint. The British soldiers, pointing automatic rifles at us,  made me, my two brothers, mother, aunt & uncle get out of the car and face down in a ditch. I remember my aunt said, "this is it" and she started praying and crying. She thought they were going to kill us all. But they searched us, detained us for about an hour and let us go.

We had found out later that a car bomb went off about a mile from the checkpoint and another car had fled the scene, it was the same color and make of my uncles car we were in.

A few years after that, on another trip, my cousin was killed, when the IRA opened fire on a two British soldiers who were in crowd of people which my cousin was standing in.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#32]
My wife says that if I can afford them to get them. Because they're going to outlaw them sooner or later.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't know how long you have been married but... about 12 yrs ago when me and my wife first met, she was deathly afraid of guns, especialy handguns.  I am an avid hunter so she had to get over the rifles and scatterguns.  After 2 yrs of marriage, and talking her into submission, I purchased my first handgun.  It was a disaster for I purchased a Davis .380 (I know, I know).  After a whole lot more talking I purchased a Ruger P89 and got her to shoot it with me.  Oh boy did that do it she had to have one then.  So we went out a selected a .38 spc revolver (Taurus) and she has been carrying since.  Now I own a whole lot more than four guns now and the only complaints I get is "how much did you pay for that one?"  So I guess its not so bad because I have a lot of idiot friends she does not know that sell me brand new guns at ridiculous prices. [:D]  

She lost some friends by the gun, so you might have a hard  time convincing her.  Try to talk her into shooting with you, It worked for me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:07:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife has told me I can only have 4 guns
View Quote

4.....4.....possible limit to 4 of the same type, actually that would still be a bit restrictive.

Tell her you don't like shoe's because your dad used to hit you with them when you were young and your friend was once knocked unconscious by one. So she can only have four pairs, boots, dress, running and her choice. You need the guns to keep away the bad people who may point guns at you and your family.
Also she needs to learn to shoot to protect herself while you are not around.
View Quote

Judging from your wifes exposure to the Brits armed to the teeth, and pointing at her, she has a strong fear of guns, which is not uncommon given the situation.

You need to be tactful and understand her arguement for what it is, she was terrorized at an early age!

Take her with you to the range, teach her everything there is to know about arms as a defense, have patience though, if she loves you, really loves you, she will come around! I bought my wife her carry piece, she loves it and knows how to use it, and not let a perp take it!

Do not however, get into a buying frenzy of impulsive lust of that nice weapon, simply because it could empty your wallet in a hurry, and that would surely signal trouble to any woman, who relys on her spouse for their financial well being! Remember, it is a give and take situation, she may want lets say, a nice ring, dress, or whatever, but eventually it would be a carry piece for herself!

You must consider though, if the shit hits the fan, how many arms can you carry, and what will happen to the other arms you have to leave behind? Can you cache them? What about all the ammo, I can tell you first hand humping a rifle, ammo, ruck, grub, and other little goodies will seperate the men from the boys in short order!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:19:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Remember that you are the BOSS!

You do what you want! And tell her to go fetch you a beer!  [+]:D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:57:34 AM EDT
[#36]
It also sounds like she thinks guns are stupid and that it is wasteful of money to buy them.  I have run into that situation with my wife.  We split "fun things" 50/50.  If I get a bunus we either save it or spend equal amounts of it and vice versa.  I have also been limited to 1 gun year partly because if my other hobbies (golf, hunting and fishing).  I would work hard to compromise.  Tell her, hell I have 4 what will a couple more hurt? Buy her something nice that has equal value when you buy the gun.  It is kinda like training a dog, once they find out if they stay they get a treat, same thing.  You also need to get the point accross that guns are a part of your life style and they  bring you joy and if she really loves you she would let you buy more guns.  However don't abuse it by going out and buying 3-5 guns a year, you too may need to moderate.  She also needs to know that every gun has  a different use and therefore you require more guns to fill those voids.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#37]
...Compare it to cars.
Let her know that it's like taking an old car and working on it, and turning it into a Hot Rod.
She won't understand this either, but she'll be more comfortable with it.  It will help her to see it as a hobby.  
(women love to shoot Mforgeries with Aimpoints. Low recoil, user friendly)
I was going to teach my wife to first learn the iron sights, get good out to 200yds, and then try the Aimpoint.  
I changed my mind.
Set her up at the 25, and the 50 yd. line with the Aimpoint.
She had fun, wanted to do it again.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:26:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Tell her 4 is not nearly enough.  How is this for helping [img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/eQ/bX/tp/oI15097.jpg[/img]and I still don't have enough.  I have added 3 pistols since this shot was taken. Now, I live at the beach, so she has to know that I am not weird.  Tell her that we aren't the Brits.
View Quote

Nice Rem 700's?  Thats on my want list now...
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#39]
My wife has come a long way since I picked up the shooting/hunting bug about 6 years ago.

We had been married about 3 years and were living in downtown Chicago (I have escaped since) when I brought home a Marlin 25N .22 bolt action rifle.  She was not happy.  "I don't want any guns in my home," said she.

Well, once she realized that guns do not come alive at night and shoot you in the dark, she did not object when I picked up more items, such as a couple of shotguns, an AR and an M1A and a handgun or two or three.  For a while I would just pick one up and not tell her about it.  Even though she probally does not know the full extent of my collection (I am up to about 10 now), I don't think she cares anymore.

I think the key is to move slowly.  Let her get used to the idea over time and she will forget the reasons for her original objections.  I was loading up AR mags in my living room last night and she did not even give me a dirty look.  having a gun in the house is just as natural to her now as having running water.

My wife has never shown much interst in shooting (although she has shot several of my guns at least once).  Thats ok, I don't have much interst in some of her hobbies.

My wife is politically conservative, so it helps to see her natural political enemies so anti-gun.  Recently she has even brought up gun control issues with me (and taken the correct side), something I don't think she would have done before.

A lot of women have a adversion of guns leaned from TV, movies, etc.  Take it slow, and if she is reasonable, she will compromise.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#40]
I can't imagine marrying someone who was not into guns. My wife has 4 of her own (Colt Python, Glock19, HKUSPC .45, 20"HBAR AR) and she thinks that all the guns in the safe are belong to her! Tell her that it isn't weird to need/want/own more than 4. It is weird to carry around destructive emotional baggage from a foreign land filled with religious zealots and alcoholics.(I am of Irish descent, so it aint racist!) Ever lose anyone to a car crash? Still drive don't ya?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention "Riverdance". Now that's F*@KING WEIRD!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
But more importantly, what happened to "love, honor and OBEY?" She does remember that part right? So why is she issuing orders to her husband? And more importantly, why do YOU allow it?
View Quote

I find this highly amusing coming from the man who caved in and shaved off his goatee because his then-fiance thought it made him look "too evil."  

[sarcasm] I guess you found your pants sometime between that incident and the altar, eh? [/sarcasm] [:D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#43]
If you are only allowed to have 4, start shopping at Wilson Combat or Les Baer.  Buy preban and Class III.  If you can't have the quantity, you might as well get the quality.  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:

I find this highly amusing coming from the man who caved in and shaved off his goatee because his then-fiance thought it made him look "too evil."  

[sarcasm] I guess you found your pants sometime between that incident and the altar, eh? [/sarcasm] [:D]
View Quote

You can hardly compare the two. One was a goatee that I can grow back ANYTIME and really wasn't that big a deal. I compared the two and found her happiness with my appearance took priority over the "look." The thing about my wife, is she would NEVER try and take away my hapiness. If I was REALLY attached to the "look" she would have let it stay. There were "other" factors involved.

The wife I have would NEVER try to put limits on what brings me happiness or security. That is why I married her.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My EX-wife tried to tell me what to do/not do...  Discussing and reaching a mutually arrived at agreement is one thing, but being told what to do is another.  Not a flame, just an opinion.  Good luck!
View Quote

I agree with you. Thank god I don't have that problem. If my wife told me I couldn't have a certain amount of guns or I couldn't have any. She would be minus 1 husband.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My wife has 2 pistols, 3 22lr rifles and 2 shotguns. I have 2 Ar15s, 2 03A3s, 3 Garands, 2 308 long guns, 5 22lrs, 5 shotguns, 1 303 Savage 99 and 5 pistols and thinking about an M1A. A year ago April she wouldn't touch a gun said no one had a good use for gun. I go to the range these days because she keeps bugging me to take her. We're at the range at least one day each weekend. I got the BEST wife in world.
View Quote

What part of NY are you in?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#48]
My lovely wife is in her mid 20's and ownes her own class 3 firearms.  Glad she likes guns!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
View Quote

Nice Rem 700's?  Thats on my want list now...
View Quote
Actually, they are Savages.  The one on the left is a 10FP (heavy barrel)in .30-06 with the Choate stock.  The one on the right is a 112FX (heavy barrel also) in .223 with the Choate stock.  Both accurate as hell.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Did you have guns before you met your wife?
Did She know about it?

If you can answer yes to the above questions tell her tough potato's baby, and make her justify everything she buys except basic food clothing and shelter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top