Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 1:37:16 PM EDT
...I'm buying a new car this afternoon.

I already got the price/terms/details all worked out with the sales guy.  Should be pretty straightforward paper signing.  But I'm no stranger to car buying and I know the third level of hell (after the sales guy and his manager) is yet to come.  That's the last part before they finally hand you the keys.  That's where you sign the final papers and the finance manager gets one final shot to get you.

They know you are tired.  You just want to be done.  You want to go home.  He'll then launch the all on assault to sell you VIN etching, trucoat (you know they install that at the factory), and fifteen levels of various extended warranties.  He'll leave the desk numerous times.  Then he'll act like you personally murder his beloved kitten...because you the the first person ever to turn down such a fantastic deal on a warranty.  Then when he ain't making headway, he'll summon his boss.  He will than act shocked...shocked that you'd be such an irresponsible new car owner to deny the rust-proofing pixie dust to sprinkle on your car.

Any advice?

Cup my ears and just start screaming "NO...NO....NO!!!!"  
Suddenly pretend I no longer speak English?
Ask him to repeat everything over and over?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What you planning on getting?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if he doesn't go along on the test drive
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

...I'm buying a new car this afternoon.

I already got the price/terms/details all worked out with the sales guy.  Should be pretty straightforward paper signing.  But I'm no stranger to car buying and I know the third level of hell (after the sales guy and his manager) is yet to come.  That's the last part before they finally hand you the keys.  That's where you sign the final papers and the finance manager gets one final shot to get you.

They know you are tired.  You just want to be done.  You want to go home.  He'll then launch the all on assault to sell you VIN etching, trucoat (you know they install that at the factory), and fifteen levels of various extended warranties.  He'll leave the desk numerous times.  Then he'll act like you personally murder his beloved kitten...because you the the first person ever to turn down such a fantastic deal on a warranty.  Then when he ain't making headway, he'll summon his boss.  He will than act shocked...shocked that you'd be such an irresponsible new car owner to deny the rust-proofing pixie dust to sprinkle on your car.

Any advice?

Cup my ears and just start screaming "NO...NO....NO!!!!"  

Suddenly pretend I no longer speak English?

Ask him to repeat everything over and over?
View Quote

Ask him if he bought all of these items on his vehicle.

When he says 'yes, I did', tell him "Show me".

That'll keep him busy.

OR...you could just say....

"I'm leaving this building in 15 minutes and not a second later.  You should get going."

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Only if he doesn't go along on the test drive
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm faced with the prospect in a few months myself. I've considered buying a truck from my hometown in AR just to avoid dealing with the car dealership sleeze in south Florida. I went to high school with one owner, went to high school with the owners daughter and generally don't get any static from them.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Pack a lunch
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The Salesman will be standing right outside the Finance Office to catch you running out and calm you down before throwing you back in "The Box" so the Finance Manager can finish closing you.

"FINISH HIM !! "
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm getting another Honda Odyssey to replace the one that got totaled out in an accident.  Nothing too exciting and I knew exactly what I want and what I'd be paying.

I've never stepped foot in this dealership before.  Set up the deal via email and phone.  It's a fairly good deal...13% under MSRP.  End of model year and they have a bunch of these on their lot yet.  They are probably taking a hit on this car so I suspect the F&I Manager will be cranking the pressure up to 11.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
So, how'd it go?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Be willing, I mean WILLING, to walk the fuck out.

If they won't play ball, go elsewhere.  Let them know you ARE buying a car, but not necessarily from THEM.

If they won't give you what you want, LEAVE.

They are NOT the only dealer on the block.

They are professional assholes.

You HAVE to be a bigger asshole, or you WILL get fucked.

Well, you get fucked either way, but you CAN get kissed a time or two in the process.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]
"Am I being detained?"

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask if you're being detained.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Just so "no", "not interested", "no thank you", then "go fuck yourself" if he persists
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#14]
When I bought a new car I went in and said 'I have a 30 minute lunch, if I can leave here in 20 minutes I'll buy the car from you'. It was amazing how many people were running around trying to get me out of there in time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top