Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/29/2005 4:24:39 PM EDT
I am wanting to put in a wireless network and put in a PC in the garage so I don't have to run inside to look up something on the net and then run back out to the garage and put together / fix whatever it is I'm tinkering with. My question is, what speeds do I need for the network. Mostly I will be accessing forums like this but occasionally will need to view streaming video. Is 54 mbps enough, or should I go with the 108 mbps? I was looking at D Link routers and access cards, mainly the Extreme G 624. Anybody have good or bad experiences with it or can you recommend another brand (e.g. Linksys, Netgear, etc.).

Again, this is going to be a for a garage computer and don't need to break the bank, just something to get wireless internet and maybe some file sharing (MP3's).

Thanks.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 4:36:00 PM EDT by DDiggler]
54 mbps will more than likely be WAY faster than any broadband connection will be to your house. The internet connection is the weak point, not the network infrastructure in your house. The only nice thing about the faster home network is transferring files/gaming between local computers.

ETA: Match all of your stuff if you can. Cards, routers, etc. Brands usually work better with their own kind. Also, consider if you want to get Vonage. You can get a wireless router WITH the phone ports, and get a rebate that almost pays for the whole system, if you turn in your old router to them. It's a Linksys. I don't know if that offer still stands, but it's worth checking into.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:36:01 PM EDT
I reccomend linksys SRX routers and adapters for most things, but if you want a standard 802.11 setup, I would go with whatever router you want or allready have, and use Orinoco wireless cards. The orinocos have always been the best for me, and most have connectors on the outside of them to attatch external antennas.

Nothing wrong with linksys gear though, I install tons of the stuff at work. Usually have no troubles at all.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:17:17 PM EDT
I use the D-Link stuff and I run the DI624 and matching card for the laptops. Works fine and has good range.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:47:25 PM EDT
What is the difference between and access point and a router?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:07:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Nicholastheczar:
What is the difference between and access point and a router?

An access point is simply a wireless hub/switch type device. It handles the wireless connection but it does not make routing decisions. A router is a device that separates two networks (in this case, your home network and the internet) and the router makes decisions on what data packets go to which computer...or in some cases if the packets should be stopped and not go anywhere at all.

Current routers we find in the store are usually routers and switches. They have their routing function, then they have a switch to allow extra physical plugs into the device. In the store we find "wireless routers." This is actually three devices in one, a router, a switch (for the physical CAT5 plugs), and a wireless access point. Since the three-in-one-devices are already configured to work together, we really like wireless routers.

The reason we would choose an access point would be if we already had a router on the network and we didn't want to swap it out. We defininetly do not want two (or more) routers on the same network because then they'd both want to make decisions and it causes many problems.* So if we're keeping our original router, and it doesn't do wireless..and we want wireless. Then we get an access point to handle the wireless side.

* Yes, it is doable to have multiple routers on the same network, but it takes quite a bit of knowledge/experience to do it right as it's more of a dark art than a science.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:53:39 PM EDT
You would probably be fine with a simple 801.11b, but going 11g doesn't cost much more these days anyway. The limiting speed factor, as said before here, will be your internet connection, not your home network. The limiting wireless factor will be signal strength. You may need to play with the antennas (directionally) to improve signal strength in the garage, or even add a high gain antenna if the signal is getting blocked. Try it normally first though. If you run into signal problems, then upgrade antennas.

Stick to major brands and try to get your cards to match your router brandwise. Linksys and Dlink are really good and easy to set up.

Once your network is up, secure it! Use MAC address restrictions (only allow specific cards to access the network) and encrypt the signal. If you don't, you'll end up with freeloaders eating and breaking your bandwidth
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:26:19 AM EDT
Go 801.11g.

B is going out the door real soon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:39:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gibby:
Go 801.11g.

B is going out the door real soon.

False.

B isnt going anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:58:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 4:59:25 AM EDT by Nicholastheczar]
Thanks for the input. I am going to grab my networking stuff today and give it a go. Should be fun.

My wife gave me a crazy stare when I told her I needed a computer in the garage and she said "Now I'll never see you!"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:42:41 PM EDT
Just be sure to set security up. It's only a few simple steps, yet it will save you some possible heartache.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:03:25 PM EDT
Well I ended up going w/ a Linksys router and usb adapter. I have yet to try it out b/c my second garage machine crapped out on me today while I was getting it ready. While flashing the bios, I had a half flash and the floppy drive quit reading causing the machine to lock. Now I have a machine that won't boot at all. I have to send in my bios chip to ASUS so they can reflash it, luckily it only costs 5 bucks. Here is a pick of my router combo. I ended up going with the 54 mbps.

Top Top