Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2009 9:07:29 AM EDT
I'm taking my wife to a fancy restaurant for our anniversary. I'm going to do the manly thing and order for her, problem is I do know piss about wine.
She loves Riesling. Out of the provided list (from the restaraunt's wine list) which one is the best?

Washington 464 Kungfu Girl, Columbia Valley 2008
France 470 Pierre Sparr, Alsace 2007
471 Trimbach, Alsace 2006
472 Trimbach 'Cuvee Frederic Emile' Alsace 2003
476 Trimbach 'Clos Ste Hune' Vendange Tardive, Alsace 1989 Germany
480 Marienburger "Piesporter Michelsberg" Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Spatlese 2007
484 Schloss Vollrads, Rheingau, Kabinett 2006
486 Zilliken 'Saarburger Rausch' Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Auslese 2005

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]
As a rule, Riesling varietals are generally sweet.

What do you plan on eating?  Several courses may require several different wines, and a wine which is too sweet may ruin your meal.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What do you plan on eating?

Sushi

And I know typical people drink specific wines with specific food, but those people don't include my wife, she only likes Riesling, She's a strange bird

I will be enjoying a Sapporo
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]
When it comes to wine, drink what you like to drink. Screw the snobs!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

When it comes to wine, drink what you like to drink. Screw the snobs!

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000^78

Some of the wines I LOVE would make a snob gasp. Fuck em.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Well personally I'd stay away from the Alsacian stuff ( get a true German Riesling and say F the French).

As far as what you guys might like, I don't know, too subjective–– I'm guessing the wife likes a sweeter Riesling?.

I would suggest a dryer Riesling such as a Kabinett because these are generally harvested earlier than the Auslesers and less sweet; a nice combo IMHO with some spicy sushi.

So out of your selection above I'd (personally) go with the Schloss Vollrads, Rheingau, Kabinett 2006.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I assume you guys have wasabi with sushi. IME, the only thing that really stands up to it in terms of white is a good Gewurztraminer.

Frankly, I think beer is better with Sushi, with a little sake to cap off the evening.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well personally I'd stay away from the Alsacian stuff ( get a true German Riesling and say F the French).

As far as what you guys might like, I don't know, too subjective–– I'm guessing the wife likes a sweeter Riesling?.

I would suggest a dryer Riesling such as a Kabinett because these are generally harvested earlier than the Auslesers and less sweet; a nice combo IMHO with some spicy sushi.

So out of your selection above I'd (personally) go with the Schloss Vollrads, Rheingau, Kabinett 2006.

This is good advice.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1, German Rieslings tend to be dryer. My preference would probably go towards the Piesporter.  Either one will work though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1, German Rieslings tend to be dryer.

Not true.  if I could make one generalization about German v. Alsatian Rieslings, it would be to say that the Alsatian wines tend to be quite a bit drier than their German cousins.  Also, recent Alsace vintages have been only average, while Mosel has produced some 95+ wines over the last few years.

I agree with the previous recommendation to get a drier Riesling, but not too dry...I think a lot of the floral character of the wine is lost when it is fermented to dryness.  Instead, a Spätlese has a touch of sweetness while retaining full bouquet.  So, I would opt for the Piesporter.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Alright, I'm out of my element so I'll heed your advice, last question:
How do you pronounce "Schloss Vollrads, Rheingau, Kabinett 2006"

My attempt...

slosh vol rad, rhine gow, cabin yay...?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
God all these people online, I cant edit...

oh well...

How do you pronounce "Piesporter"

peez porter?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My attempt...

shloss (with a long o), vollrodd (first o is long, the second is pronounced like the word "odd), rine-gow, cabinet  (like in "storage cabinet").  Kabinett is a German word, so none of that faggy "yay" shit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never personally had it (but plan to try it), but I've heard Champagne goes well with sushi in that it tends to clean the palate between pieces.  Any truth to this??
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
God all these people online, I cant edit...

oh well...

How do you pronounce "Piesporter"

peez porter?

Almost...more like peas-porter
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've never personally had it (but plan to try it), but I've heard Champagne goes well with sushi in that it tends to clean the palate between pieces.  Any truth to this??

Very true.  And, if you can find a nice Demi-sec on the menu like Veuve Clicquot, get it.  One of my favorite wines.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My attempt...

Shlos Folrods .....cabin-ette...  

VT4meGunCtrlisAntiUS gave you VERY good advice (my credentials: certified sommelier since 1981).
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not a fan of wines.

However....

480 Marienburger "Piesporter Michelsberg" Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Spatlese 2007

Should be relatively sweet...the "Spatlese" means late harvest (more sugar in the grapes).   My wife likes a similar wine (different maker) a great deal...a bit harder to find in some stores however.

AFARR
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My attempt...

Shlos Folrods .....cabin-ette...  

VT4meGunCtrlisAntiUS gave you VERY good advice (my credentials: certified sommelier since 1981).

His advice and yours are geratly appreciated!

I hope the sushi is as good as the wine
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I would be tempted to say try a off dry Sauvignon Blanc. But I would worry it would not be sweet enough for your wife.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top