Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 5:12:55 PM EDT
I have my home network sorta working. I kinda figure to really make it work well, I need to be running the same op system on both. What is the best one to use? I have 98 2nd ed on one & XP on the other. Should I upgrade the 98 or load 98 or ME or 2000 etc.. on one or the other?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You shouldn't have to do either. It should work fine with 98Se on one and XP on the other.  Each OS has it's strong points and unless you don't like one or the other for various reasons I'd leave them alone.  They should network together just fine.

crashburnrepeat
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
No need to have the same OS, on my home network I have w95, w98 and 2000 - all work fine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only possible issue is with name resolution but it doesn't have to do with different versions of OS.  It may have problems resolving a NetBIOS name to an IP address, in which case you can just find the computer by its IP address instead of browsing Network Neighborhood (9x) or My Network Places (ME). Windows will try to use the name and password which you use to log into the local machine to log in to the remote PC, with XP and 2000 you can specify both name and password to use when connecting to the remote PC, with 9x/ME the name you use to log in to your local station will be used to connect, giving you only the password field to fill out.  When connecting to a 2000 or XP PC from a 9x or ME PC you need to either use the same name and password on both machines, or create a user account on the XP/2000 for the 9x/ME PC.  Confused yet? [whacko]
View Quote

Yes I am confused. The 98se machine see's the Xp and I can access the files from XP. The XP machine see's the 98se, but says I am not authorized to view the 98se machine. I guess I have some sort of conflict.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
You just need to modify your network config and change permissions.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good God man! Your redneck, whiskey soaked brain is going to explode if you keep fooling with the computer like that!
View Quote

You sir, may be correct. I really need to find some techno nerd in the neighborhood and trade him ammo or gunsmithing services for his expertise in this matter. Is Rusty available or do you have an exclusive on him?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#9]
You need Mac OS X 10.1.2(along with a Mac of course)! The best OS yet!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Then you wouldnt nedd a network because you would pay the same as two PCs
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#11]
With a MAC you also need airfreshener to mask the odor of rotten fruit!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How do you connect to the Internet?

Make sure you have file and printer sharing installed and enabled on each computer.

You'll need to use a common workgroup name on each computer within the peer-to-peer network. By common I don't mean "workgroup" I mean they all have to have the same workgroup name.
View Quote

Hey Paul,
I connect via DSL usb modem.
I have the workgroups named the same. I think the problem is that XP wants to be thge top dog. Or that I have the 98 system setup not allowing access to the XP machine. I think it's really just an issue of giving the correct access level to the XP. They both see each other, and I can access the drive on the xp from the 98, but not the other way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top