Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 2:58:42 PM EDT
Anyone have any input on Windows 7? Is it Vista with a new name? I need to upgrade laptop soon and I have been looking at Apple and now see Windows 7
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are going to buy it let me know , just havent installed it on my comp yet. maybe you can test it out for me. Always willing to help out another member
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm really liking Windows 7, it seems a lot like it is just an improved Vista.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
maybe you can test it out for me. Always willing to help out another member

I played with the beta some months ago. I liked it better than Vista.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been running it for a few months now.  It's basically what vista should always have been, just like XP was what windows 2000 should always have been.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll give you some first hand experience from the release candidate.  I do have very limited experience with Vista though.

I like it.  It's smooth, out of the box it's neat and clean without a ton of stuff cluttering up the desktop.  I had some trouble with some drivers on my pretty old PC, but that's not MS's fault.

Getting into some technical aspects here.  I really do think that everything that makes 7 different from Vista could have been released in a Vista service pack.  I know there will be a few people in this thread that will say they'll wait for 7 SP1 before they get it.  Don't think of 7 like a fancy schmancy new unstable, untested product from MS, but Vista SP2 with a different user interface.  I think the whole reason MS decided to just release all this as a new operating system is because they want to get away from Vista as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
It's been a long time since MS had a product that was this much better than what it was replacing.

I put it on a machine that might have passed ONE of the upgrade criteria for Windows 7. Well, not only did it upgrade successfully, it didn't fuss about any of the drivers or hardware, and it ran faster on that old box than a totally stripped down fresh XP install. I'm impressed, and I will be upgrading asap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll give you some first hand experience from the release candidate.  I do have very limited experience with Vista though.

I like it.  It's smooth, out of the box it's neat and clean without a ton of stuff cluttering up the desktop.  I had some trouble with some drivers on my pretty old PC, but that's not MS's fault.

Getting into some technical aspects here.  I really do think that everything that makes 7 different from Vista could have been released in a Vista service pack.  I know there will be a few people in this thread that will say they'll wait for 7 SP1 before they get it.  Don't think of 7 like a fancy schmancy new unstable, untested product from MS, but Vista SP2 with a different user interface.  I think the whole reason MS decided to just release all this as a new operating system is because they want to get away from Vista as soon as possible.

I personally think it goes beyond a SP. Resource management, among other things, is a magnitude better than Vista. This is what Vista SHOULD have been.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been running Windows 7 Professional from MSDNAA for about 4 days.  It is a lot better so far.  Takes less resources, the task bar is better, and haven't had any driver problems.  All my programs from vista/xp have been running flawlessly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm digging it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've been running it for a few months now.  It's basically what vista should always have been, just like XP was what windows 2000 should always have been.  

This.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Been running various versions since shortly after the beta came out.  Best original release of Windows yet (and I thought Windows 95 was teh shit because I could automatically detect printers on the network when it came out, much less not having to fight with the damned aftermarket TCP/IP stack on 3.11).  Running Windows 7 Ultimate right now (through MSDN).  And I'm a Unix/Linux guy.  I WOULD wait another month just because not everybody has proper drivers out there yet, the software for my Lexmark printer bitches because it was written for .Net 2.0 and 7 has 3.5 or so, and if you want to go 64 bit, Adobe doesn't have a 64 bit Flash player for Windows yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Running it on 3 machines since feb with zero problems
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Anyone have any input on Windows 7? Is it Vista with a new name? I need
to upgrade laptop soon and I have been looking at Apple and now see
Windows 7

You'll be interested in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=927782

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a lot fucking better than Vista
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Haven't seen it yet but Subnet gives it a big thumbs up and he knows what he's talking about
when it comes to PC's and software.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top