Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2001 6:21:58 PM EDT
Now that they have been bought, will you start buying again?

http://www.saf-t-hammer.com/press_release.htm

On another board, I read that Remington and Saf T Hammer have some joint deals going.  One on "electronic guns, grips, safeties etc" and the other on S&W doing casting for Remington's rifle recievers.  Any truth to this and does anyone have any links?

I think we all need to get behind  Saf T Hammer  and help them if they try to get out of  their crappy deal with the govt.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You already bought one didn't ya!
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The deal dies when S&W does.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Has S&W given up the HUD deal?  No.  So NO, I won't buy their guns.

S&W makes a lot of parts for people.  To me, that's not a big deal.

Developing locks isn't a big deal either.  There are several makers using integrated locks.  I don't like the idea of locking up my safety, and I think they encourage poor handling and storage, but they are optional for usage, and that's how it should be.  

I don't have kids, friends that do feel differently. They want locks.

(even though I took a ballpoint pen and released the trigger guard on his AR-15 and had the trigger lock off in mear seconds)

(even though I was able to fire my Kimber 1911 using a popsicle stick to bypass the trigger lock)
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I bought a Taurus M85UL stainless for a backup gun. (this was to support the S&W boycott) Well the Taurus was a total POS! Taurus was absloutely no help, and a pain in the butt to deal with. So I sold it, lost over $100 on the deal. I then bought a NIB S&W 642. It works like a champ. Sorry, but my life means more to me than a statement over the politics/policies of some Brit owners and the Clinton's.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The HUD agreement and The City of Boston:

The City of Boston is the hold up on dropping the HUD agreement.  Boston was the only city to officially get around to legally dropping their suit against S&W, so S&W in essence has to get Boston to reinitiate their lawsuit against them before they can go ahead with the revocation of the HUD agreement.  Believe me they are trying.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]www.saf-t-hammer.com/press_release.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#10]
NO.

but even more than guns, any business that actively contributes to its own destruction does not deserve my attention, let alone the representative of my time, the dollar.

Zaz
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Never!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with what all of you have to say about S&W. I have actively resisted selling S&W products since the HUD deal. I always try to talk the customer into buying another brand.

Here is a copy of an email I sent to Saf-T-Hammer;

Subject: Gun buying public and S&W

Hello,

Congratulations on your aquisition of S&W.

Just an FYI. Here is what the actual gun buying public is saying about buying S&W products. Seems to be a general concensus that S&W needs to not only return to American ownership, but must also return to the American values, culture, and heritage that allowed the S&W logo to become what it once was. I guess it is either that or fight an uphill battle against Sig Sauer, Glock, and Beretta for military and police contracts.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=40186#lastPost

Sincerly, Steve Baumbach
             NRA Life Member
             CRPA Member
             MRPA Member
             GOA Member

Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's funny how the president of Saf-T-Hammer is the old president of S&W.  He's already said that he won't go back on the deal with HUD.  So no.  No S&W's for me.

brouhaha
View Quote

My sentiments, exactly!  No, I will not be buying any "Clinton & W, not now, nor in the future.   [:)]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]

[red][size=6] NO! [/size=6][/red]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I've always wanted a "Bodyguard".
Now, I'll have to choose between the model 49 and the newer 649, but, yes, I'd buy one when the time and money allows.

I prefer Ruger revolvers, and the Bodyguard was the first revolver I ever wanted.
To add one to the collection is not a problem.
If I find one someday, I'll go for it.
I don't see this as wrong.  I don't agree with the actions taken by the "former" S&W, but, I'm not going to not get a gun I want because they don't quite have their shit together yet...given the time and support from us, the company may revive, American style.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#16]
When they go out of business and Glock,FN,Beretta,HK,Taurus, or ANYBODY else buys the tooling and machinery and licenses, yes I will.
 I own 1 pre-sell out smith. I would love to have another. Bought a Ruger SP101 instead. Very happy.
  They must be considered an acceptable loss, traitors punished by death in a war for our freedoms.Better to send a message to all companies not to shit where they eat!
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:18:52 AM EDT
[#17]
S&W has some major sucking up to do before they see any more of my dough.  Until then they can kiss my lily white and hairy ass.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I read this somewhere that Saf-t-Hammer has already redisigned the internals of the Smith revlover,with, you guessed it! a lock built in !! key would be inserted right above the cylinder release, and have a cute hole on the left side of the revlover, they just ruined the looks of a good revlover, anyway, the "Prelock Smiths" will probably go up in value.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll buy used.  There are a lot of them out there.

In particular, I'm looking for a Model 25 in .45LC with a 5" barrel, blued.  They did a short custom run of these in the 1950's, and I have a serious jones for one.  (Saw one once, long ago, and wanted it ever since.)

But a new one?  Not until they revoke the agreement, and depending on the changes Safe-T-Hammer makes to the product line, maybe not even then.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Not until S&W reverses is stance and starts "fighting" for the rights of owners and manufacturers.

And even at that point I'm not sure if I will fully trust them.  Sometimes friends may turn out to be your worst enemies.  And for those that do there is no return.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I just bought a Taurus 94 .22  same as a Smith 22. I have no problem with S&W if they get back on track. We can not lose them , if they fold then the damn Brits did their damage to an American institution
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I just bought a Taurus 94 .22  same as a Smith 22. I have no problem with S&W if they get back on track. We can not lose them , if they fold then the damn Brits did their damage to an American institution
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 5:33:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I've said it before and will say it again.  The S & W boycott is the most counter productive move the gun owners community has ever done.  The only people happy are HCI, SArah Brady and the rest of that crowd.  Running S & W out of business only benefits them, not us.

Smith made a business decision.  They did not have the financial resorurces to fight lawsuits from every city in the country plus Uncle Sam as well.  Their pockets just aren't that deep. The tobacco companies had enough money to play that game for several years.  The fireams industry doesn't.

I'm not saying I like the decsion they made.  But I didn't taken as a personal affront to my constitutional rights.  Had they not made the deal Smith would be hemoraging cash to the lawyers.  Would you have stepped up to the plate and bought an extra Smith or two help them out?

I own Smiths, have for years.  Will continue to do so.  If we run Smith out of business it will simply set the pattern for the antis when they go after Ruger, Colt, Bushmaster, and all the others.

Link Posted: 7/27/2001 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#24]
If I ever buy a new handgun again, and S&W has what I want in their product line, I will cheerfully buy it.  Why? Because whatever their owners do or do not subscribe to, the people building those guns are Americans, and when you boycott a company like S&W, you are hurting the workers out on the production line far more than you're hurting the fat cats who own the company.  Sorry guys--I've carried a Model 4006 on my hip for years on duty, and it never crossed my mind to go to foreign built gun, just cause I didn't like somebody's  politics. Yes, I'm happy the Brits pulled out and lost their shirt doing so; and yes the 4 S&W guns I own happen to be 6 or more years old, but if I wanted a new one, S&W's big shots politics wouldn't stop me.  

Of course my background plays a part here. I was born and raised just a couple of miles from the plant, and people I went to school with work there and are being hurt by this boycott (just to be completely honest about where my attitude comes from).

Y'all do what seems best to you. That's one of the great things about being an American, and I'll put down no one who has a different approach than I do. Just wanted to get my $.02.  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes...BAN S&W GUNS by selling your used S&W revolvers to me!!!

If you want to protest by eliminating your personal S&W handgun inventory, I collect their older .38, .357mag, and sometimes .44mag revolvers with pinned barrels and recessed cylinders.

I am especially looking for a Model 19 with a 2.25 barrel.  If you are selling for a reasonable price, email me!  Again, I am not a dealer/trader...just a private purchaser who shoots all of my guns (why buy them otherwise?).

As for new Smith and Wesson firearms, I wouldn't buy them whether they had sold out to the Clinton Administration or not...I think their guns have degraded in quality over the years.

Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Will I buy Smith & Wesson now?  No, but I might buy a controlling interest once Saf-T-Hammer finishes screwing things up and the price is around $0.03 a share.  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#27]
The agreement was an attempt to enact
defacto bans and regulations
on legal firearms without having to go through the legislative process.
I WANT!!!! I WANT!!!!
WHERE DO I BUY????
WHERE DO I BUY????

Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I resent the actions taken by S&W as a company, but I believe (in most cases, not all) that their revolvers are better overall quality than those of other manufacturers. Being the picky bastard that I am, I will probably buy another S&W.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Business decision, yes. S&W wanted to get some Federal Gov't contracts because their products are inferior to those marketed by GLOCK, BERETTA, SIG, and HK. Now that plan has backfired, they are trying to backpedal and cover their asses with the only group that will buy their products,CCWs, hunters and other "civillians".Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind. Fock'em! None of the other companies sold us out, even when they had big, fat Gov't contracts at stake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top