Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2001 10:57:56 AM EDT
I've got 896 rounds of the British "RG/88" SS109 that I am stuck with. It seems like good, accurate ammo except that my 20" Bushy short-cycles with it (the rifle cocks but does not pick'up the next round from the mag.) What I am considering, is using this stuff as range ammo and loading each cartridge as the last round in a magazine of "good stuff". This way it will load, fire and eject. However, it will not allow the rifle to engage the bolt hold-open device and thus the bolt will slam into battery on an empty chamber. Will this eventually (say after 896 rounds) damage ANYTHING? Bolt, extractor, ejector, locking lugs, receiver, rear of chamber, bolt face, etc.??????????

Also, any other opinions for use of this ammo?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody MUST have an opinion on this! Please.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure somebody will have an answer for you but, I don't.  It will probably take more than 12 minutes to get an answer.  Settle down!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#3]
i cant see how it will hurt anything. is this the only amo you have that the rifle does this with??
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It is not recommended to allow the bolt to slam closed on an empty chamber, although I have seen no particular wear or damage from doing so.
  BTW, if you can locate a spare buffer spring and take of a few coils, the POS ammo will work better...
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
You can send it to me.  I'll get rid of it for you![:D]  Actually, if you are interested in selling it, I might be interested in buying it.  It shouldn't give you any problems though, just a little extra work.  Try a softer buffer spring or lighter buffer.  Or maybe your gas tube.

Sydwaiz
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#7]
is it the magazine spring not strong enough to hold open the bolt?

[beer]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
R/G British SS 109 is underpowered due to the problems with their SA 80's(?)

I've shot 300 round through my carbine without a misfire.  It may be because you are using a 20 incher.  I can't see any damage you can due, but I doubt you want to have your rifle not cycle properly in a gun fight.  If I were you I'd sell the stuff since "SS 109" is so popular right now.  If they came packed in the strippers and Brit Bandoleers, you could probably turn around and sell the bandoleers at 5-6 bucks a pop and turn this around.

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sure somebody will have an answer for you but, I don't.  It will probably take more than 12 minutes to get an answer.  Settle down!
View Quote

yeah, sorry - Its just with the enormous amount of traffic lately posts seem to disappear pretty fast. Just wanted to keep it at the top for a few more minutes. BTW, thanks to everyone for the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top