User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2005 9:20:03 AM EDT
...and will the NRA cave this time?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#1]
This NO situation will be used on the Senate/House and State assembly floors by the Boxer, Feinstein, Durbin and Kennedy types everywhere. It very well could work in some states and maybe on the federal level if the Democrats can get power back one day. Hell the Dems don't even need to get the majority back, there are plenty of Republicans like McCain and Rudy Guilliani that are anti-gun as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#2]
"Will the situation in NOLA prompt action on a new federal AWB?"

count on it, it's going to happen.............. it will be political suicide if any politician votes against it, if it's brought up, considering what is happening in NO.

my best guess it will make the 94 ban look like a pro-gun legislation.....and I will further state that it will be sponsored by landrieu, the senator from that state, with the usually co-sponsors, any one want to take that bet?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
DU is already talking about it
(leave link cold)!!!!
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x4548446
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh count on it. We're about to get a GIGANTIC fucking on our gun rights.
And this time, I fear it wont be just mag capacity and bayo lugs, and I fear it wont come with an expiration date.

Unfortunate as it may be, if there was a time to strike to uphold our gun rights, this is the time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
And this time, I fear it wont be just mag capacity and bayo lugs, and I fear it wont come with an expiration date.

Unfortunate as it may be, if there was a time to strike to uphold our gun rights, this is the time.

I don't think so, times are different and I think a lof of people now understand the need to have armed citizens.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#6]
It SHOULD prompt a National Re-armament Bill.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think so, times are different and I think a lof of people now understand the need to have armed citizens.

I hope to shit your right man. I really, really do.
But, I'm a pessimist. I dont think this bodes well for us at all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]
The extreme left exploits every tragedy.  Why not this one?  C'mon Kerry, Kennedy, Clinton et al let's hear it!  Evil bastards.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

count on it, it's going to happen.............. it will be political suicide if any politician votes against it, if it's brought up, considering what is happening in NO.

my best guess it will make the 94 ban look like a pro-gun legislation.....and I will further state that it will be sponsored by landrieu, the senator from that state, with the usually co-sponsors, any one want to take that bet?

Another reason to flee LA.

So they're going to punish law-abiding citizens because the thugs that the Goverment of LA couldn't control?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope to shit your right man. I really, really do.
But, I'm a pessimist. I dont think this bodes well for us at all.

I bet most of the guns that the 'bangers have are not "assault weapons"  they are probably handguns and shotguns.  One thing that politicians hate is the idea of loosing a job they still can recall what happened in '94.  Another AWB=unemployed Senators and Congressman.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

don't get upset, but you are living in a dream world, if you think that..........a lot of the people are not going to think that way. if anything NO it's going to be a poster child for more stringent gun laws......especially for 'AW"

it took one lone nutjob shooting up a california McDonalds, to help give us the 89 ban.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Count on them trying.

Personally I dont think it will get very far. Firearms has been pushed to the back burner for the most part and dragging to the front to further a few antis agenda could do more damage then good. I think we will hear bits, but it will soon fade.

CH
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't get upset, but you are living in a dream world, if you think that..........a lot of the people are not going to think that way. if anything NO it's going to be a poster child for more stringent gun laws......especially for 'AW"

I just don't see it.  MOST Americans right now how more pressing concerns that EBR's.  It isn't even on the radar screen.  Some will try to exploit it but they will be the same old hags that have been trying to introduce bans over the past year.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another reason to flee LA.

So they're going to punish law-abiding citizens because the thugs that the Goverment of LA couldn't control?

fleeing LA, isn't the answer.......not when it's going to be  a federal law
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just don't see it.  MOST Americans right now how more pressing concerns that EBR's.  It isn't even on the radar screen.  Some will try to exploit it but they will be the same old hags that have been trying to introduce bans over the past year.

I'm going to have to agree with you. If anything would have renewed or reinstated an AWB it would have been the DC "sniper" shootings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I had an interesting conversation with a very liberal Jewish mother of four last evening. She used to be staunchly anti-gun.

She's reconsidered her position and is even thinking about buying one and going to class.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going to have to agree with you. If anything would have renewed or reinstated an AWB it would have been the DC "sniper" shootings.

Good point, when they came out saying that is was a .223 I figured we were SOL.  If that couldn't do anything this won't either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope not, but if it does, I will PERSONALLY take out ads in local papers to strike back at the anti's idiotic prattle.

I really hope that Joe and Suzy America see that good people need guns to give themselves a fighting chance against situations like this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

don't be too sure..........it's most  definetly on their radar screen, if you don't think it is, then you haven't been paying attention to the news reports, about shootings of AK, and at police officers, helicpoters......they are justing waiting for the right moment, timing is everything, they are going to wait until the recover is well underway, right now it will get lost in all the noise as it's still a resue mission
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#20]
This fiasco in NO is only going to re-inforce our position.  Look what happens when bad people start acting bad.  You call people that have guns right?  Now we know what happens then the good people can't show up to protect you.  You must protect yourself.  Gun shops are going to make a shitload over the next 3 months.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I had an interesting conversation with a very liberal Jewish mother of four last evening. She used to be staunchly anti-gun.

She's reconsidered her position and is even thinking about buying one and going to class.

had the same conversation here, well, almost - it was this morning, not a mother of four, a moderate conservative and not jewish - other than that, it was exactly the same.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
(leave link cold)!!!!
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x4548446

Seems like it's mostly that bonehead Benchley yammering for more gun control.

On the plus side, it looks like a few over there are starting to see the light that the RKBA is not to be fucked with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't be too sure..........it's most  definetly on their radar screen, if you don't think it is, then you haven't been paying attention to the news reports......they are justing waiting for the right moment, timing is everything, they are going to wait until the recover is well underway, right now it will get lost in all the noise as it's still a resue and recover mission

So who besides Fienstine and Shummer are calling for bans?  All I hear are crickets.  Now after the mid-term elections it might be a different story should the dems gain a majority, but right now gun control is dead!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(leave link cold)!!!!

On the plus side, it looks like a few over there are starting to see the light that the RKBA is not to be fucked with.

Yeah, bunch of pro gun posts in that thread.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#26]

when the dems get a president in '08, they won't push for a new federal AWB.

they will push for a federal WB, and cite the easy availability of guns as one of the main reasons things got so bad in NO in 2005.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

when the dems get a president in '08, they won't push for a new federal AWB.

they will push for a federal WB, and cite the easy availability of guns as one of the main reasons things got so bad in NO in 2005.

I take it you are a "glass is half empty" type?  Be positive for change, you will find it easier to go through life.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
...and will the NRA cave this time?  

Yes they will use it to usher ina  new AWB.

and no they will not cave in  if they have enough members to reflect the gun owners.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+87
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
(leave link cold)!!!!

ARFCOM trolls.
We are everywhere
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

had the same conversation here, well, almost - it was this morning, not a mother of four, a moderate conservative and not jewish - other than that, it was exactly the same.

The conversion from a liberal to a conservative is often only one mugging away.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I suggest a new HR1703 (and like)push and anything anti-UN.  Can we organize another mass call-in and Email effort?  Push repeals?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
(leave link cold)!!!!

ARFCOM trolls.
We are everywhere

we certainly are  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#34]
I want to give this another round if members are willing

Linkage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I just read a bunch of the posts in that thread, can anybody tell me what a "freeper" is??
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#36]
this is the perfect example of the government NOT being able to protect you. it also validates that there really are violent people out there who will not act in any reasonable way and can only be stopped with a firearm.

if any politicain tries to argue that not enough gun control was the problem in NO, they are not going to be able to make much of a case.

however, i do feel walmart, the pawnshop, and other dealers would have done well to better secure their inventory. id be very curious to see how this would have effected the current situation.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I just read a bunch of the posts in that thread, can anybody tell me what a "freeper" is??

www.freerepublic.com
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#38]
In some ways I hope this doesn't prompt liberals to arm themselves.  They are still the same irrational people they always were; prone to emotions over logic.

In many of my NO discussions with liberals, I have voiced my disgust for those who were shooting at police and NG who were there to help them.  Many of the liberals replied, "Well, you would probably do the same thing" or "If you knew how they lived, you would understand why they did that"  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I can't see how this can, in any way, help the lib gun banners. What it showed was that there is no way in hell that any part of the govt, be it local state or fed, that can help you when the shit hits the fan and the vultures and trolls come out. I'd bet there is not an assault weapon look alike priced fairly within 200 miles of NO. I'm going to check at the local shot here in Mi to see if sales went up in the past week also. I would bet they did, and every new gun owner is a nail in the coffin of the banners. Now we just need a big hammer to drive them in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#40]
If the last few days in NOLA (and elsewhere, too easy to forget it happened to other locations beside NOLA) have shown us anything, it's that the RKBA is absolutely, utterly necessary.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
It SHOULD prompt a National Re-armament Bill.  

Yep.  Repeal GCA and NFA.  'Vermont carry' nationwide.

CMP to offer M-14s.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yep.  Repeal GCA and NFA.  'Vermont carry' nationwide.

CMP to offer M-14s.

CAPITAL idea.

On another note, I don't think any anti-gun legislation is going anywhere.

The wilding thugs who gang-raped and murdered 5,7, and 9 year-old girls made it damned clear to people that there are evil doers in the world.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Count on them trying.

Personally I dont think it will get very far. Firearms has been pushed to the back burner for the most part and dragging to the front to further a few antis agenda could do more damage then good. I think we will hear bits, but it will soon fade.

CH

Agreed.

Remain vigilant, but don't panic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#44]
yeah I'm not sure this will spawn more gun control or less. I know two different people at my office who have never had guns have approached me about helping them buy one in the last week.  

one of them had been telling me his wife would never allow one and when he called her and told her he was shopping for one she said "not in my house brian" and he says "well we don't always get what we want do we?"  CLASSIC.

anyway,  I think a lot of people have had the scales fall from their eyes about how easy it is to have anarchy in the streets and you want to be able to protect yourself in that situation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
This fiasco in NO is only going to re-inforce our position.  Look what happens when bad people start acting bad.  You call people that have guns right?  Now we know what happens then the good people can't show up to protect you.  You must protect yourself.  Gun shops are going to make a shitload over the next 3 months.

+1

Sure, the rabid leftists will use this event to push an agenda. Nothing new there. The rest of America now  has seen that .gov cannot and most likely will not protect families in need.

Katrina will only help bolster the cause of firearms rights.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sure, the rabid leftists will use this event to push an agenda. Nothing new there. The rest of America now  has seen that .gov cannot and most likely will not protect families in need.

Katrina will only help bolster the cause of firearms rights.

+1  to both of these comments.  I work with a ubber liberal, (he thinks the military is a welfare organization ) and yesterday I mentioned to him "now you know why we have a second amendment"  He actually agreed.  For further proof, see SteyrAugs thread on some of the poeple who are coming to him to buy guns.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Ban hurricanes not guns!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey all, I'm a moderate that goes both ways on diff issues. Yes to economic conservativeness (which is not GWB's style, haha), firearms, and yes to helping the poor better themselves, freedom of choice, etc. However, the case of NO has definitely been made into a case FOR guns. In this unique case, most of the people were able to escape because of the warning, but what if the scenario was a unpredicatble earthquake in LA? Or Seattle? When you have savages running around, they will find weapons of any kind, and decent citizens need to be able to protect themselves. The strongest image I have of the LA riots is the Korean store owners protecting their property with some decent hardware...

My friend, "trust fund bob" has a brother at Tulane University, who heard through the grapevine the insanity of post hurricane new orleans. The horror stories and rumors led "trust fund bob" to immediately look into getting WA residency (from CA, haha) so he could get a AR and semi-auto shotgun for "just in case". This weekend I picked up a lower receiver and started assembling my own rifle.

Funny thing about "trust fund bob" one of his tenants/housemates is a hardcore hippie and was completely against guns. After this weekend, she was OK with him starting an arsenal. :) I may vote democratic for social issues but I'm a big fan of GWB letting the ban slide, thanks mang!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top