Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2005 6:17:24 PM EDT
I've tried to keep an open mind about it over the past few months. I thought I'd wait and see if it looked normal after the new wore off it.

But my initial impression remains. The new army camo is the most fugly, most gay pattern I have ever seen. For God sake, who's idea was it to make our soldier's wear that shit?

I suppose the army tried to incorporate the F-18 Super Hornet into their uniform, being multi-role and all (desert and woodland combined). But it's just, well, FUGLY! Even the name strips look totally weird and ackward against that pattern.

This pattern is so damn ugly I've considered writing my congressmen and ask that he take pity on our fine troops and give them back a decent color pattern to use and to can that new abortion of a camo pattern.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I say if it can give us an added advantage in a ambush and maybe save a few men/women lives it's well worth it.

I dont even know what this new camo looks like even.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If you see it in the field, you would change your mind. A few SF buddies that have it, showed it to me. It is really effective.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone I know who has had them issued likes them. There are some minor things that need to be worked out, but for the most they are well received.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#4]
if it works who cares how fugly looking it is.

anyone got a pic?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've tried to keep an open mind about it over the past few months. I thought I'd wait and see if it looked normal after the new wore off it.

But my initial impression remains. The new army camo is the most fugly, most gay pattern I have ever seen. For God sake, who's idea was it to make our soldier's wear that shit?

I suppose the army tried to incorporate the F-18 Super Hornet into their uniform, being multi-role and all (desert and woodland combined). But it's just, well, FUGLY! Even the name strips look totally weird and ackward against that pattern.

This pattern is so damn ugly I've considered writing my congressmen and ask that he take pity on our fine troops and give them back a decent color pattern to use and to can that new abortion of a camo pattern.

it will grow on you brother.  remember the leisure suit collars in the 80s?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It might help to see some of them out in the field. They sure like shit in cities and in buildings however. LOL.

I still don't see how you can use one pattern and have it work well in jungle, woodland, and desert environments.

I dunno. If the troops like it, that's all that really matters. But IMHO, the USMC has a much better design. Not only does the pattern itself look good, but they have a desert and woodland version.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Sargent do my BDU's match my eyes.    

Crist WTF man since when did a military uniform have to be fashionable.

Just like your weapon form over function huh?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I never said it had to be pretty for God sake. But couldn't we design something that wouldn't be embarassing to wear?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think you should walk around wearing a T-shirt that says, "I'M A DUMB ASS".

Are you one of those fat guys that gets all duded up in WalMart "RealTree" or internet "Multi-Cam" and then rides around the woods on a big, loud ATV thinking you're invisible?

The new ACUs are a good uniform.  Some of the initial ones had quality issues, and soldiers want to sew on badges and patches, but other than that they are well recieved.  And I've actually seen THOUSANDS of them......

edited to add:  they look pretty good.  It ain't 1980 forever man.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Eh. I think if the army were going from the ACU to the old woodland BDUs there would be a lot of screaming going on. The functionality seems to have improved, and the camo pattern is I think an improvement over woodland.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you one of those fat guys that gets all duded up in WalMart "RealTree" or internet "Multi-Cam" and then rides around the woods on a big, loud ATV thinking you're invisible?

The new ACUs are a good uniform.  Some of the initial ones had quality issues, and soldiers want to sew on badges and patches, but other than that they are well recieved.  And I've actually seen THOUSANDS of them......

edited to add:  they look pretty good.  It ain't 1980 forever man.

Dude, I was just stating my opinion about the camo pattern. I am no dumbass. And I don't wear RealTree. So don't talk to me like I'm some sort of fucking child. If you like the camo, fine, I'm happy for you. But I still think it looks gay.

I think I just figured out what I don't like about it. It looks like something the French would design and wear.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought it wouldn't be effective myself and it didn't seem to be in 1st photos of it, but surprisingly it seems to be more effective in actual use.  Not certain how durable it is though.

camo in use
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
.  And get rid of those damn leg berets while they're at it!

Aargh, my pet peeve! I hate seeing legs with a beret. Me and the missus saw a few of the Homeland Security "legs" a few years ago. I made the off comment about "legs" and one of them heard me. He wanted to start shit, but I kept on walking. The wife hates my "leg" rants also.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Not to hijack BUT......................................RealTree and MultiCam should NEVER be used in the same breath.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#19]
The whole premise of "it looks gay" its assinine. The real question isn't whether or not it looks gay, but how it functions. As long as it functions who really gives a shit? The only people I can think of are the army surplus commandos who don't wear camo out in the field just to gun shows.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The whole premise of "it looks gay" its assinine. The real question isn't whether or not it looks gay, but how it functions. As long as it functions who really gives a shit? The only people I can think of are the army surplus commandos who don't wear camo out in the field just to gun shows.

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#23]
When it's new, it looks kinda funky. But after seeing it a bit faded and not as crisp looking, I changed my mind.

I wouldn't mind having a few sets.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it looks like crap, and I don't get much of a good feeling as to its effectiveness, but I'm no expert.

I just saw General Whatshisname in NO, and he stuck out like a sore thumb, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I wouldn't mind having a few sets.

I'm definatly gonna be picking up a set for deer-season this fall.  USCav is the only place I've found that's stocking the mil-spec pattern and their $50 for a jacket and $50 for the pants.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#26]
ACU isnt bad in the desert.  It sucks urban or woodland enviroments.  Crye Multicam is a better pattern.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/des6du.jpg

tinypic.com/des6lf.jpg

tinypic.com/des6xv.jpg

Is that all the same uniform? Third one looks alright.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#28]
it still is of the pattern that we dare not speak of at arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that was necessary at all...

You're right.  A person that judges the utility of a utility uniform based on criteria like "gay ass" and "fugly" clearly doesn't need a label, it's gonna be readily apparent.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It is not supposed to be a fashion statement.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#31]
This:

Definately looks better (and much more effective) than.....

This:

The version shown on top looks much darker than the pic I posted. What's the difference? Does washing get that effect or do you just need to get em good and dirty? Because the differences in those pics are pretty big if you ask me. Look how much lighter the light colors look on the uniform in the bottom pic. The lights almost look white. They don't look anywhere close to that bright in the other pics.

Having seen these other pics, I must say it don't look as horrible as I'd first thought. But in the pic I posted and the ones I've seen the generals wearing on tv, they look horrible. Check out some video of Maj Gen Honore in New Orleans. It looks just like the one in the pic above, far too brightly colored to be effective. You'd be as well off in a white cotton t-shirt as the unifrom I've seen him wearing.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
ACU isnt bad in the desert.  It sucks urban or woodland enviroments.  Crye Multicam is a better pattern.

Hmm, the pics posted earlier in this thread seem to suggest otherwise, and I can't think of any really good patterns for an urban terrain.

I guess it's a stretch to think the Army did its homework.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aargh, my pet peeve! I hate seeing legs with a beret. Me and the missus saw a few of the Homeland Security "legs" a few years ago. I made the off comment about "legs" and one of them heard me. He wanted to start shit, but I kept on walking. The wife hates my "leg" rants also.

They are just fucking hats.  Everyone in the British Army wears them, in different colors depending on the regiment, and no one in the Para regiment gets his panties in a twist because some MP, engineer, or grenadier has one in a different color.

Get over it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Just be glad the Army isn't wearing something like the proposed new AF camo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Spaatz,
You bring up a great point. The Army and USMC cammo was based on need and judged on their effectiveness. The USN and USAF patterns was more a fashion contest.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
if it works who cares how fugly looking it is.

anyone got a pic?

The army has never cared how fugly they are! Or nasty....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Personally, I like it...

From what I've heard, the camo works (ugly or not), and it's high time for a low-maintanance uniform... No more fumbling with buttons, no pressing/starching (for now, hopefully forever), and no more Kiwi, etc...  

The only 'bad' thing I can see is the price, and the pin-on (a/o velcro) badges... I can see the reason for no-sew-ons, though, eg to phase out wearing that stuff outside of garrison...

P.S. 82nd, IMHO you paratrooper types can keep that blasted beret... Gimme a PC or garrison cap over that thing any day (no shaving, shaping, etc... No hot black wool... And no fussing with it every time you put it on (well, for those of us who haven't been wearing 'em long))...

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are just fucking hats.  Everyone in the British Army wears them, in different colors depending on the regiment, and no one in the Para regiment gets his panties in a twist because some MP, engineer, or grenadier has one in a different color.

Get over it.

they should be earned - not issued.  everyone wants to be highspeed but only a few want to go through the motions.

Why?  Like I said, in virtually every other NATO army (and many air forces and navies) berets are just HATS, not badges of honor.

Hmmmmmmmmm, let's see.  Airborne beret = red, leg beret = black.  Airborne shoes = bloused boots, leg shoes = corframs.  Airborne = jump wings, leg = no jump wings.

It's so hard to tell you all apart...........
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I was on a plane a couple of weeks ago with about 20 soldiers and soldierettes (two of whom were scalding hot, I might add) wearing the ACU and they looked squared away.

I like em.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Pffft - I dont see anything gay about it. Or French like. Past the pattern, I know a lot of the features are for the modern combat soldier who wheres a vest.

I would love a set myself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#43]
The pics in-field look make the ACU look alot for effective than I would have expected. Much better than chocolate chip or woodland for sure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I wore a beret in the Boy Scouts...get the hell over it... In person the pattern looks very grey as an overall tone. I'd be very interested to see it in a green wooded setting. Faded it looks pretty good, in photos at least, in the desert setting. My $.02
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I think it's a huge improvement over what we did have.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe I missed it, but are all those pics the SAME color uniform? I'm with Charging Handle that the first pic (as well as the one the General in NO seemed to be wearing) look WAY blue/grey.

Is it like the Pattern That Shall Not Be Named, which exists in different colors?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#47]
They don't look all that bad. I just don't like all the velcro.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#48]
The Army ROTC unit at my school has their ACUs now - I saw them from about 100 yards, thought they were foriegn soldiers. Got closer and one of 'em called my name.

I don't mind the pattern, it is the uniform style I don't like - I do like the new collars though.
Supposed to be better when wearing body armor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
 And why are the damn legs wearing RANGER berets!

Fixed it for you!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#50]
It looks like some really comfy jammies.

BTW, arguing over berets is silly.   "Everybody wants to be highspeed but only a few want to go through the motions"?  WTF!? As far as I know, the legs didn't ask for them, so pull out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top