Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 10:08:48 PM EDT
Has this been discussed somewhere already?

I got to wondering if the stores that were looted and burned in Baltimore would be covered by their insurance.

I think some policies exclude damage and loss resulting from riot, civil commotion or mob action; or any act or omission by the government in connection with the prevention or suppression of a riot, civil commotion or mob action.

What about folks who had their personal cars destroyed?

Anybody know?

There is no way would I rebuild a business in that area, but I saw a report that a burned out pizza place planned to rebuild his place.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious as well.

Speed
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably not.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it was discussed in some of the Ferguson threads but dont remember what the consensus was.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine would not. Business or homeowner's. My rentals do, as vandalism and all.        

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Check your comprehensive on auto policies.

Businesses generally have coverage.  Homeowners maybe less likely.

I searched around and it seemed common to have coverage.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2014/08/12/ferguson-crisis-most-business-insurance-covers.html

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
My insurance excludes civil unrest specifically. It's landlord's insurance.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Most homeowners policies cover riot and civil commotion, but exclude war.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Has this been discussed somewhere already?

I got to wondering if the stores that were looted and burned in Baltimore would be covered by their insurance.

I think some policies exclude damage and loss resulting from riot, civil commotion or mob action; or any act or omission by the government in connection with the prevention or suppression of a riot, civil commotion or mob action.

What about folks who had their personal cars destroyed?

Anybody know?

There is no way would I rebuild a business in that area, but I saw a report that a burned out pizza place planned to rebuild his place.
View Quote

i'm an adjuster at a insurance company.  depends on what the policy says.  in NC, it would not be.  nuclear war, civil war are also not covered.  i think it may be something that the .gov ends up paying for, but i dont know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have asked this very thing of several people in the Ins industry, they all pretty much agree it will be spotty coverage at best. Most policies do exclude riots, war, etc. And, probably the Ins Co's would go after the city of Baltimore for going on T.V. and saying, ''We going to give them space to destroy'' and then having the police stand down.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
All of the policies I've ever read (home, life, auto) have had a clause saying they wont pay out if the loss is the result of a riot, or war, declared or undeclared.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably not.
View Quote

Especially since the mayor pretty much admitted they allowed it to happen.

The companies should tell their customers they need to sue the city. Perhaps even providing them representation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The companies should tell their customers they need to sue the city. Perhaps even providing them representation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably not.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All of the policies I've ever read (home, life, auto) have had a clause saying they wont pay out if the loss is the result of a riot, or war, declared or undeclared.
View Quote

Same here

Guess this is my underwriter
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably not.  Personally, I would sue the city for damages lost since they stood by and did nothing
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends on the state and insurance company.

Riot,war,nuclear risks, and a few others are usually not covered in most policies.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I was wondering about this yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have asked this very thing of several people in the Ins industry, they all pretty much agree it will be spotty coverage at best. Most policies do exclude riots, war, etc. And, probably the Ins Co's would go after the city of Baltimore for going on T.V. and saying, ''We going to give them space to destroy'' and then having the police stand down.
View Quote

I could see the insurance company covering, but then suing the FUCK out of the city thanks to Mayor McTwat's incredibly stupid statement.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Google is your friend.

Insurance companies have paid out big in all of the recent riots.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Probably not.
View Quote

nope.  most every single policy is void in case of riots.

Sue the mayor and police chief for telling their people to stand down while thugs looted, burned, stole shit, and assaulted.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top