Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 7:44:30 PM EDT
If I was to purchase some ammunition from Ammoman, would UPS leave it at the door, without requiring a signature?

There usally isn't anyone around during the day, and if I ship anything to my work, there is a darn good chance I will get fired for it..

Thanks in advance,

Cody
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
UPS will leave it, if you have a signed receipt on file.  Ask  UPS driver for one and give instructions on where you want the package left.  Side door, back porch, etc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
How can I tell if I have a signed receipt on file?

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
UPS and FedEx have a waiver form that you fill out and sign.  This relieves them from responsibility for leaving unattended packages.

I've never received anything from Ammoman that was labeled "Adult Signature Required".
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine always gets left by the UPS dude. The only thing I've ever had to sign for is a computer.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Might just be indicative of a lazy UPS driver, but I've had them leave ammo on the porch before (no prior signature, no nothing).  The last Ammoman order I received was left at a neighbor's house (they were home).  Not sure how UPS decides whether to leave you the yellow slip, leave it on the doorstep, or take it to a neighbor.

Wonder if you can get it set up so that they hold it at their "distribution center," and you go pick it up?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]
UPS always left their crap [or I guess its my crap [:)]] by my door (many times in open sight) unless I guess the company sending it actually wanted to make sure it went to someone (so if nobody home, give to neighbor).  Wouldn't mind the leaving so much if a) they didn't leave it in open sight and b) the item(s) in question weren't so expensive...
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
In my experience, if the shipper checks the box that says "Adult Signature Required", FedEx will not even SPIT on your doorstep if you're not home, no matter if you have all manner of waivers, forms, and signatures on file or not.
[Edited to say - it doesn't matter what it is, and some shippers have the habit of checking that stupid box whenever you order a $30 video card - which makes life miserable for me, since I live alone, 40 minutes from nearest FedEx location.]

UPS on the other hand, has left ammo every single time I've had it delivered.

An NFA dealer buddy once told me that "Brown"  once left a 1928 Thompson on his doorstep. He took the package in, unopened, asked to speak to a supervisor, and demanded to know why the package was left. Brownshirt is thinking, "what's the big deal, yada yada yada, we got boxes to deliver, going back makes more work." So he opens the box with her watching.

Wish I coulda seen them eyeballs. I sure hope he picked them up off the floor for her.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
UPS always left their crap [or I guess its my crap [:)]] by my door (many times in open sight) unless I guess the company sending it actually wanted to make sure it went to someone (so if nobody home, give to neighbor).  Wouldn't mind the leaving so much if a) they didn't leave it in open sight and b) the item(s) in question weren't so expensive...
View Quote

Also, this is one of the reasons why I will usually prefer the PO (even though I think the PO shouldn't have such a huge monopoly) as opposed to UPS...didn't know FedEx was so good.  I have a PO box for reasons I won't go into and it will only go to me since I have to go up to the PO and pick it up since thats where it is, no left packages at doorstep.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
My Local guy is very sharp. He hides it on the side Garage door if its ORMD.  He has joked that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES would he ever consider entering my home!

[8D]

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have ordered from Ammoman.com and from Sportsman Guide, neither have required a signature.  I guess UPS/FedEx thinks I'm honest.  I've always found it under my doormat (last order was 3000 rds) when I come home from work.  Many times, the delivery has sat out on the porch for a day or two because we enter through the garage and don't use the front door that much.  If the order is from Ammoman, I'll usually check every day before and after work, because he ships fast.  With everybody else, it may take a week or weeks for the delivery.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My Local guy is very sharp. He hides it on the side Garage door if its ORMD.  He has joked that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES would he ever consider entering my home!

[8D]

View Quote

Yeah, it all depends on how lazy the guy is I guess.  Sometimes they do hide it in the bushes (a couple times didn't know I we were expecting something and found it like a week later).  But lately they've been really lousy.  Guess they expect to go on strike the end of the month so they figure why bother?  hehe.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
UPS and FedEx have a waiver form that you fill out and sign.  This relieves them from responsibility for leaving unattended packages.

I've never received anything from Ammoman that was labeled "Adult Signature Required".
View Quote

Can I fill that form out online?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've always found it under my doormat (last order was 3000 rds)
View Quote

Doncha just love it when you order some big honkin item, and they drape the doormat over top of your new air compressor?

Reminds me of the elephant joke - "Why do elephants paint their toenails red? So they can hide in the strawberry patch". (I sincerely hope that don't start nothing.)
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can I fill that form out online?
View Quote

I don't know the answer to that.

My regular drivers left the forms for me when they couldn't deliver the packages.  (I guess I wasn't home.)
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#15]
My last 2 drop offs from UPS were rather smashed... the last one I watched the guy throw out of the back onto the dash before dropping it off... the one before that was glass tubed cigars that came with some broken glass tubes (at least I got my money back for the broken ones)

As for FedEx, they kinda scare me... last package they dropped off here, I was home.. left the door unlocked, heard the entry sound on the house alarm, checked the window and saw the FedEx truck... went out to the den to find a package in the middle of the floor INSIDE MY HOUSE! Kinda freaked me out, bein as I dont really know the FedEx guy and all.....

But where I live, there is little threat of someone noticing a package on the doorstep - house is not visible from the road, or from any of the neighbor's homes...

Jonathan

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Ups has always left ammo for me without a signature.
There is an ar15.com member who works for ups and in a similar thread about a year ago, he explained that the shipper can cover the box with "adult signature required" stickers, but unless the shipper pays for the service, the package is left without the driver even attempting to get someone to sign.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had UPS deliver to my house a DVD player that I ordered, 1000 rds of 9mm from SG, Centerline wheels for my truck, and a stereo receiver that I had ordered.  I did not have to sign for any of them.  Yet my wife ordered a dress from a catalog and UPS delivered it and, yep, you guessed it...someone had to sign for it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My last 2 drop offs from UPS were rather smashed... the last one I watched the guy throw out of the back onto the dash before dropping it off... the one before that was glass tubed cigars that came with some broken glass tubes (at least I got my money back for the broken ones)

As for FedEx, they kinda scare me... last package they dropped off here, I was home.. left the door unlocked, heard the entry sound on the house alarm, checked the window and saw the FedEx truck... went out to the den to find a package in the middle of the floor INSIDE MY HOUSE! Kinda freaked me out, bein as I dont really know the FedEx guy and all.....

But where I live, there is little threat of someone noticing a package on the doorstep - house is not visible from the road, or from any of the neighbor's homes...

Jonathan

View Quote

UPS has done that to me too, once or twice; opening door and dropping it off.  They're ballsy sometimes...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ups has always left ammo for me without a signature.
There is an ar15.com member who works for ups and in a similar thread about a year ago, he explained that the shipper can cover the box with "adult signature required" stickers, but unless the shipper pays for the service, the package is left without the driver even attempting to get someone to sign.
View Quote

This is probably me.

Only the shipper determines whether or not a signature is [i]required[/i]. It is a service that cost extra.

If someone ships you a machine gun and does not specify a sig you should be upset with that shipper not your UPS driver. More than likely he had no idea what was in the package.

Believe it or not UPS drivers do not know the contents of every box they deliver. If your guy isn't a shooter he probaly doesn't have a clue that you are recieving ammo. The best way to get stuff left in your garage or whatever is to tell your UPS man or leave him a note or something. Using the doormats or leaving something out in the open is usually because there isn't a good hiding place on the porch, or the UPS guy is just lazy and tosses it up there.

I usually won't leave ammo or other firearms related packages without a sig. If no sig is required, I can use my own descretion as whether or not to leave it. I'd rather get a sig to make sure you get the package and it doesn't get lost or stolen.

Anymore questions just feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Ammo/tapco/fac/ they are all left in the back by my freindly UPS guy.Adult sig or not.We kinda have an understanding of where it goes.Fed Ex is a different matter. Signature required is SIGNATURE REQUIRED!!!

Its best to try to cumminicate with  your UPS driver where you want stuff put.

Think if you lugged 3 crates of ammo up driveway and stairs would you like to drag them back down.

This especially applies if you order a lot of mail order stuff.

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Around here, the driver dumps the package on your porch, rings the doorbell once, and is back in his truck and driving down the road before you can even get to the door.

I probably haven’t seen one of their yellow sticky delivery notices in ten years.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Anymore questions just feel free to ask.
View Quote

Yeah, what in the [b][i]HELL[/i][/b] is wrong with your  managers at the center on Portland? You said anymore questions.

If someone ships you a machine gun and does not specify a sig you should be upset with that shipper not your UPS driver.
View Quote

This happened to me and I'm still a little hacked off at the shipper for that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, what in the [b][i]HELL[/i][/b] is wrong with your  managers at the center on Portland? You said anymore questions.
View Quote

I was waiting for that[;)]

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I work for a business that uses UPS. Unless there is a signature required sticker, it is up to the driver whether to leave the package at the door.

UPS recently lost a package because of this.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I ALWAYS order COD just so that I can verify the condition of my order before I take it and I know the delivery guy won't dump a box of ammo/gun parts/etc. where any neiborhood kid could find it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems kinda random whether they actually require a signature. Ammoman apparantly will send it Adult Signature Required unless you send him a scan of your ID proving that you're >21. The last time I ordered ammo, they left a yellow slip, and I wasn't going to be home the next couple of days, so I called and arranged for a pick-up at the UPS office, which worked fine. BTW, the return address says Discount Distributors or something so nobody knows that it's ammo. I think it's a law or policy or something that packages can't have gun-related words on them, to help avoid theft.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#28]
They leave ammo on my doorstep all the time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought a case of 7.62 x 39 from Ammoman a few months ago and UPS left it on my front porch. There were no stickers on the package and Ammoman would have no way of knowing my age.

Delivery was superb, by the way, three days from order and the package was delivered.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:52:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I work for a business that uses UPS. Unless there is a signature required sticker, it is up to the driver whether to leave the package at the door.
View Quote

Like I have said before, the little, green, adult signature required stickers really don't mean anything. All information is now encoded into the bar code of the tracking label. If a package is signature required it is impossible for a driver to leave it unless he forges a sig, which will get you instantly terminated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top