Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 8:14:57 PM EDT
So the wife's cousin dumps her fiancee and he goes crazy.  He starts threatning her and punching holes in the walls and claims that he hears voices.  She has to go into hiding at my wife's parents' house.  He's been calling everyone trying to find her.  Unfortunately, he was here a few weeks ago admiring my gun collection, he really liked my ARs, I told him I'd teach him how to shoot sometime.  This was before the break up.  We heard he was trying to find a weapon and since he knows where we live and we spend a lot of time away from home, we decided to get a gun safe.  I was keeping half my guns in wooden gun cabinet with a glass door and the rest in a closet ( not very secure).  
We spent most of last night trying to find a good deal on a safe.   We live in a small house and plan on moving to a larger one within the next year or two, so I didnt want to get a large heavy fire proof safe and have to move it again in the near future, but I didnt want to get something too flimsy either.  Walmart had a Sentry 14 gun safe for 329, they only had the display model left so I got 10% off.  It weighs 270 lbs so it wasnt too bad to move.  I took the shelves out of one of my wife's closets and put it inside and bolted it to the floor and wall.   This should prevent the psycho from getting a hold of any of my weapons.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
she didn't lose a closet, she gained a safe.....you are just borrowing it

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
very nice safe

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're still a bit uneasy, get a plastic coated metal cord with loops at the running ends and run them throught the the trigger guards.  It creates an additional PITA for thieves.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, getting a gun safe is so cool!  I totally remember bringing mine home.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job...  prolly one of the best investments you will have made in your life.

LB
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]
make sure it is bolted into the floor joist and  wall studs
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
It was amazing and depressing how fast it filled up!  I'm going to need another one!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It was amazing and depressing how fast it filled up!  I'm going to need another one!

Send the extras to me, better safe than sorry  

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably the best idea you've had all year.

Good job!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I definately need to get myself one. I don't really own many guns, but I should still have one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
You ain't a gun nut till you build a block room with a metal door and heat it. Just for the guns. Mad props if you put a couch, TV and microwave in there!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
My gun safe is my basement!

I just need stainless steel on the walls and blue neons to make it look like the movies!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:58:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you're still a bit uneasy, get a plastic coated metal cord with loops at the running ends and run them throught the the trigger guards.  It creates an additional PITA for thieves.

won't do much good with an AR...., just push in on the little button & the trigger guard is OPEN !!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#15]
That is the exact same one i got last year, i really like it. I getting a bigger one though. My mother is giving me her 800lb safe and she is going to take mine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

won't do much good with an AR...., just push in on the little button & the trigger guard is OPEN !!

How many people who go around stealing other people's stuff have that much knowledge about any subject?  If they were smart, they wouldn't engage in activities that may get them killed one day.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That is the exact same one i got last year, i really like it. I getting a bigger one though. My mother is giving me her 800lb safe and she is going to take mine.

mom allways liked you best

Midwinter
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pull the bolt back, slide the cable through the ejection port and down through the magazine well. Slowly release the bolt. Now both upper and lower are secure!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many people who go around stealing other people's stuff have that much knowledge about any subject?  If they were smart, they wouldn't engage in activities that may get them killed one day.

If the cable is small enough you can run the cable through the ejection port and down through the mag well.  That way both the upper and lower are secure.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If the cable is small enough you can run the cable through the ejection port and down through the mag well.  That way both the upper and lower are secure.  

Quoted:
Pull the bolt back, slide the cable through the ejection port and down through the magazine well. Slowly release the bolt. Now both upper and lower are secure!

Dude! Mind meld!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Run it through the carry handle of the ARs if it wont go through the ejection port and down the mag well.  How many theives will be able to find an upper, even if they steal your lower?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#22]
bolt it down. my brother found a sentry model similar to that one in the woods.  It had been hacked open.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I got the exact safe at wally world. It's great, the only thing that ugs me is the lock doesn't turn as smoothas I'd like. Then again, I haven't tried to oil it and that's one feature where the money's saved.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought that identical safe for my parents as a Christmas gift.  Really nice for the money.

Since 9/11 my parents have been bothering me to get them a gun.  I figured I'd just get them a safe and create an annex to my collection.  I'm not crazy about keeping everything at one location anyways.

I paid $317 for mine at Dunham's.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If someone is going to cut, blast, or drill open that safe, how much deterrence will a metal cable be?

EDIT:

The Neutral Observer just reread the post.  It's the 270 lb model.  Nevertheless, the point still stands.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My gun safe is my basement!

I just need stainless steel on the walls and blue neons to make it look like the movies!!!

Don't forget stacks of ammo and MRE crates against one wall and camoflauge netting hanging from the ceiling. Oh, and an old, semi-creepy country song playing on a scratchy stereo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Nothing like that feeling when you lock your safe before you go to work.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I definately need to get myself one. I don't really own many guns, but I should still have one.

Start filling! Get busy!  

I told my wife I would never own more guns than would fit in my safe (12 long guns) I've got a couple of old .22LR bolt guns I need to get rid of!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If someone is going to cut, blast, or drill open that safe, how much deterrence will a metal cable be?

EDIT:

The Neutral Observer just reread the post.  It's the 270 lb model.  Nevertheless, the point still stands.

Just keep adding 25# bags of lead shot to the safe until you feel that the typical lazy burglar would give up on moving it, and then add a couple more.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I was thinking of grabbing one of them, I dont have an easy way to move it do Im looking for a better deal though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I got the biggest safe Ft Knox makes and I thought it was huge!!!!!

It's full
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You ain't a gun nut till you build a block room with a metal door and heat it. Just for the guns. Mad props if you put a couch, TV and microwave in there!

And I thought I was the only one with that plan mwhahahah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top