Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2002 3:59:04 PM EDT
She has 2 new teeth that need crowns.  These are in addition to the 3 others that need crowned that we already knew about.  $425 each after our Dental HMO pays their part (that makes $2125, if  you aren't very good at math).

My Question--

How much does a complete set of dentures cost?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Get her teeth fixed you fucking cheapskate!! I thought you were a Pharmacist or something like that.[:E]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought my buddy was a cheapo! First of all I bet the dentist will be willing to cut you a deal if you do all five, just talk to him.  Would you hesitate if they were your teeth? Second if get them done all at once, you should only have one copay. Third what kind of cheapo HMO dental insurance do you have?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps what we have here is...

*gasp*

an ANTI-DENTITE!

[shock]

Somebody had to say it... [;)]

Viper Out
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.saao.ac.za/~wpk/gallery/signs/dentures.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Perhaps what we have here is...

*gasp*

an ANTI-DENTITE!

[shock]

Somebody had to say it... [;)]

Viper Out
View Quote

Okay Cosmo. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Listen man, pay the stinkin' money and be happy she doesn't need dentures. My mom has had dentures for years and as time passes they cause damage to the gums and jaw bone, and eventually she may not even be able to wear dentures at all. Save the dentures for when she really needs them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Good God, I don't believe this one...

Dude, there is only ONE benefit to being married to a woman with no teeth, and if she knew you posted this thread I doubt you'd ever get a chance to enjoy it anyway.

Get her teeth fixed.

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Dentists...pretty soon they'll be charging a grand cover at the door. I don't have a problem with a guy that went to school and wants to make some good money but give me a break! $425 AFTER HMO pays their part! What runs up the cost? Not the material for the tooth. Must be the  1/16 of a gram of cement they use to seat the things and the water bill for the spit bowl running constantly...[BD]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a 2nd opinion. There are a lot of corrupt dentists out there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
A Problem with a second opinion, guys--Dental HMO's assign you to a dentist.  We'll have to get a reassignment before we can get a second opinion.  

What happens (the way I understand it) is that the Dentist charges the reasonable and customary charge of $850 for a crown.  The Dental HMO negotiates to pay him $225 with us paying $425 towards each crown.  The bad news is that he is on Michigan Ave. here in Chicago--I figure that if we really want it cheap, we'll have to find a dentist out in Outerpodunkville, IL instead.  

Unfortunately, my wife has crappy soft teeth (I figure the way it works is that my kids will wind up having her teeth and my crappy eyes).  

Dentistry is a money making business--I worked with dental students for years (where I worked liked to hire them as part time workers), and have seen how they learn to sell their services--not all dentists are like that, but I have definitely seen a few that push their services a little too much.  Before I shell out that much money, I will have her go to the local dental school for a second opinion.  

I was just kidding on the dentures, however.

PS--DrJarhead, I'm a podiatry student, and given my grades in my Pharm. class, I'll definitely take it as a compliment that you thought I might be a Pharmacist.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:47:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey, my foot hurts right here...just kidding.

Make sure your kids get their fluoride. And I agree with gettin a second opinion as well. Remember though that cheap dental care is just that-cheap. Went through same with my wife and ended up having everything redone a couple of years later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top