Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Make it 5.0L and you're golden. Any other and bring money.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Picked up a 2023 XLT a few months ago, I’ve been pretty surprised with how nice it is, even with the relatively low spec.

Considering a Limited or ST in a couple years to replace, but the prices are way beyond what I consider reasonable for a daily. Can’t fathom dropping $60k on something that‘ll clock 300-400mi per week in Austin traffic…
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve got a 2021 ST tuned with a whipple intercooler and it’s the quickest vehicle I’ve ever owned — biggest issue I have had is the rear camera gives a bsod every so often. The real estate of the screen is also really poorly utilized.

Wish they still came standard with the second row bench seat, other than that, I love my explorer. For 30k you can probably find a used 2016-19 sport, which has a similar ecoboost engine but a less responsive 6 speed transmission. Still, a fun and capable mom mobile for sure.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#4]
You’re in for trouble. 4Runner/Highlander unless you have a love for service departments
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are inclined to roll over under certain conditions particularly ice and snow or cornering at excessive speed. If driven with the understanding that they are top heavy —- higher center of gravity than a 4dr they can be great vehicles. The Toyota 4Runner or Highlander would be my choice in that type.
View Quote

This isn't 20 years ago when the tires were blowing out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#6]
On our second one

2017 had 95,000 traded it in on a 2023

Both are the “Limited” package

We need the AC seats.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are inclined to roll over under certain conditions particularly ice and snow or cornering at excessive speed. If driven with the understanding that they are top heavy —- higher center of gravity than a 4dr they can be great vehicles. The Toyota 4Runner or Highlander would be my choice in that type.
View Quote

Because the 4Runner or Highlander aren't top heavy! Both of which are heavier than the Exploder by quite the margin. Besides, this isn't 2003 anymore.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:30:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Be prepared for everybody in front of you to slow down
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Haha. A lot of hate here from third party knowledge.

Our fleet Explorers spend considerably less time in the shop than the Tahoes. And all the Tahoes have been given new engine rebuilds and eat brakes.

I will say though that the newest Explorers that were built during the, "Covid Supply Chain" have a very cheap feel to the interior. Again, these are just cheap fleet cars.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Please put a sticker or something on the back if it's black white or silver.

I need to know if I can pass you over the mustard
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Picked up a 2023 XLT a few months ago, I’ve been pretty surprised with how nice it is, even with the relatively low spec.

Considering a Limited or ST in a couple years to replace, but the prices are way beyond what I consider reasonable for a daily. Can’t fathom dropping $60k on something that‘ll clock 300-400mi per week in Austin traffic…
View Quote

I tried to buy one a month ago, but the dealership couldn’t deliver any they had on their lot.  Ford had a nationwide hold on all Explorers because of a software issue in the backup camera.  Absolutely no deliveries.

I wonder if they’ve fixed the problem yet?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Get her a picture of Christopher Columbus
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a Sequoia
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I really like the Explorer.

We’re one and done with our two year old. So don’t really need a big vehicle.

But once we decide to get rid of the Gladiator, or buy a second vehicle, the Explorer will be very near the top of the list
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#16]
We have a 14 with phantom suspension issues. Been to dealers and other mechanics, thrown parts at it. Still can’t get rid of the thunks and the creaks. Mechanically it’s been decent, though it does have phantom electrical issues at times. 110k on the clock. It’s going down the road. The suspension issues are enough for us. Great car otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife has a 2017 and likes it, she just ordered a 2023.

They’re reliable vehicles but a lot of little stuff is prone to break, get the extended warranty.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a 2018 early May of this year, with 61k miles. Within a couple days, my wife and I drove to Michigan and back.  My daughter drives it more than our 2017 Jeep Cherokee. It has about 67k miles on it now. The only issues I have are the seats, wind noise, and the original buyer cheaped out and didn't add navigation. I found during our trip, my ass was getting sore from the seats, so I bought a pair of foam padded seat covers, the wind noise at the right front door to me, was more noticeable than my wife's opinion.  
I do like having the option to fold the seats forward in the back two rows, and the v-6 is powerful enough for general use.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I tried to buy one a month ago, but the dealership couldn’t deliver any they had on their lot.  Ford had a nationwide hold on all Explorers because of a software issue in the backup camera.  Absolutely no deliveries.

I wonder if they’ve fixed the problem yet?
View Quote

Still going on. There is a patch for current owners but no fix for the ones on dealer lots. However there are some shipping now that aren't included in the 23s23 stop order so there will be some for sale soon. Ford says anticipate a fix in the fourht quarter for the lot vehicles.

To answer your question OP late model explorers have been really good. If you are looking used get one that's certified pre-owned. It will come with a 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Gen 1 3.5Eb are giants pieces of shit
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I was given a 2017 that I had for a year.  Nice enough and I liked it.  No problems.

Take a look also at the Hyundai Palisade.  My wife had one of those and loved it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a 2013 I put almost 80,000 miles on it in 3 years.   I love the car, don't love the mechanic bills.  Just had the water pump replace/timing chain 3 grand.    Prior to that I got a weird wobble between 45to 50 miles an hour or so then it would go away after that.    Had to have the left front axil replaced, more money.  

The car does drive nice, goes great in snow and is comfortable.  It will hold a ton of crap as well with the back seats down.   I love the look of the newer ones; not sure I would buy one at this point.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Get ready for the most uncomfortable driving experience of your life. I was driving one for work for a week while my rig was in the shop. I'm 6'4", 210, and it was the most uncomfortable seating position I've ever driven in. Not to mention, they have put people on the same level as most sedans, so the benefit of being able to see over many other vehicles on the road is out.

All in all, I can't stand the newer Exploders.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i have a 2023 ST, don't do it. POS and recalls.

the 8 speed tranny is a POS, but less gay than a Kia

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40454/9D69E476-AA82-427E-BE8F-1E9A38C657FF-2666723.jpg
View Quote

Well there is your problem. You got the 8 speed.

It's a 10 speed. We have a 2020 ST. Do yourself the favor, get the livernois tune for it. It changes the shift patterns and fixes the issue. 70k on ours.  100 miles when we tuned it. Zero issues.
Recalls? Yeah for a back up camera issue. No big deal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I tried to buy one a month ago, but the dealership couldn't deliver any they had on their lot.  Ford had a nationwide hold on all Explorers because of a software issue in the backup camera.  Absolutely no deliveries.

I wonder if they've fixed the problem yet?
View Quote
I've been shopping this week. Still a hold on the ST for the 360 camera.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We have a 14 with phantom suspension issues. Been to dealers and other mechanics, thrown parts at it. Still can’t get rid of the thunks and the creaks. Mechanically it’s been decent, though it does have phantom electrical issues at times. 110k on the clock. It’s going down the road. The suspension issues are enough for us. Great car otherwise.
View Quote

I thought there was an issue where the parking brake cable would rub on something and make a "thunk" sound.  I think ours may have been fixed for that, but I can't remember.  It's something to look at.

@DigiCR123
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Dad had one with the ecoboost. Constant turbo problems. Lemon lawed it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well there is your problem. You got the 8 speed.

It's a 10 speed. We have a 2020 ST. Do yourself the favor, get the livernois tune for it. It changes the shift patterns and fixes the issue. 70k on ours.  100 miles when we tuned it. Zero issues.
Recalls? Yeah for a back up camera issue. No big deal.
View Quote
the ST replaced my less than 30k Expedition Stealth Edition and that 10-speed was a POS also. The engine blew up after the cam phaser recall. Ford bought it back from me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Is a highlander a possibility? We survived a bad wreck in ours and got a new one a few weeks later.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is a highlander a possibility? We survived a bad wreck in ours and got a new one a few weeks later.
View Quote

Seriosuly check out the highlanders. They appear to have more space, and FAR better value retention vs fords.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Just get the minivan.  Sliding doors are incredible with kids in car seats.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Gotcha thanks for the clarification
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe so. I've read on here more than a few times about the engine having to be pulled due to accessing a bad water pump on them. No specific engine mentioned though. It may very well be a thing of the past.
3.5 V6 Ecoboost and non-eco.

I think they switched to a different engine in 2020 with the new body.

Gotcha thanks for the clarification

The base engine for the Gen 6 Explorers is the 2.3L Ecoboost. It has plenty of power to accelerate onto the highway, doesn't feel bogged down at all even with an adult in every seat. The Limited and STs come with a 3.0L twin turbo. I want to say the Timberline edition comes with the 2.3. I think the fleet/base models come with a NA 3.3L V6 Duratec, but you're not likely to find many of those available unless you're buying a used rental or fleet vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#34]
My impression is very dated, we bought a new Explorer two decades ago that broke, and broke. I got to be pretty good friends with one of the service managers at the Crestview FL dealership. Sold it to a young troop with full disclosure, and vowed never to own another Ford. Broke my promise and bought a new F250D in 2017/18. It broke three times in the first year, and I traded it in for a 2019 T4R ORP that hasn't broken yet. Nothing, at all. I've never had a breakdown in any of my BMWs, either. I don't flog vehicles, and keep them maintained at or better than manufacturer standard.

The Explorer looked nice and had a great stereo. Unless Ford quality has changed drastically, you're playing the Kimber pistol lottery with most of the Ford lineup...you may get a great one, or you may end up in the service department waiting room a lot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My wife and I are in a position to need a new and bigger vehicle. We have a two year old now and her civic and my ranger aren’t getting any bigger. We have been looking at the Hyundai Tuscon or the Santa Fe until she saw a video on FB someone sent her of a crash test with the explorer coming out on top.
View Quote

Tell her crash test results don't do anything for you when your vehicle sits for months at a dealership waiting for backordered parts, and you're cruising around in a loaner instead.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot. I’ll never own a vehicle that looks like a police vehicle. Plus Toyota/Honda reliability >>>> Ferd.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
An Explorer is a patrol vehicle.
View Quote

Is it though? Sure it may be used as one, but they suck as patrol units.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

We recently got a 5th gen before the model gets the I-4 turbo/hybrid treatment. Reliability FTW.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot. I’ll never own a vehicle that looks like a police vehicle. Plus Toyota/Honda reliability >>>> Ferd.
View Quote

100% this. Im partial to Toyota products. Would take one of these every day all week over a new Explorer.

If you REALLY want to get some value, look for a certifed Lexus RX350 or the RX350L.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#41]
What are you in for? Probably a lot of warranty visits. Also road noise. Neighbor had platinum expedition and bought brand new explorer. It last two weeks and they traded it for another large SUV.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#42]
2020 Ford Explorer | Who Is Responsible For This?

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#43]
All the LEOs around here use new explorers. They must be somewhat reliable, right?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#44]
It's been a few years since I owned one but it was solid, no problems.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I wouldn't buy one made after 2010 which was the last of the body-on-frame models.  And that generation had a transmission design defect which grenades the tranny at about 130k miles.  Other than the tranny they aren't bad if you can find the 4.6L V8 and change the oil frequently.

Would not buy new models.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top