Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s very rude of them, boomers should get the same customer service as normal people
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]
My Yukon has two CD players.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
It gets even better when you show up at a dealership with a stick-shift.  Nobody can even drive it to the back.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:03:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Apple Music supports lossless music streaming. Get your cd player fixed and enjoy unlimited music for $10 a month.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Incredible luxury for the price. I’d compare it to bmw/mb in terms of luxury, better actually. For way way less money.

The hybrid drive train is very nice. Torquey.
View Quote

Luxury? Ha ha Lexus has their reputation because they are reliable. Next to Audi, BMW or Mercedes they are Toyota with outdated interiors.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember a member here talking about an old car they owned and it had a cassette stuck in it, so that was all they listened to for a couple years.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:13:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

2019 RX450h
View Quote

Lol, considering how much that service writer will make off the parts commission, he needs to STFU and get the reman unit shipping ASAP. Levinson's were always nice sound reproduction, but if it wasnt the decks in the older cars the main system amp liked to take a shit. Im looking at you 2004-2006 LS430
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#8]
iPod solved all this 20 years ago, interfaces easily including voice commands, playlists are a snap, even includes a lossless format if you think you’ll notice a difference.

Streaming sucks- for music in cars
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you sent the dealership a strongly worded telegraph to voice your displeasure?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#10]
It took me like two months to notice my 2022 Tacoma doesn't have a CD player because like a normal person, I stream my music. If audio quality is what you're after, save music to your phone at much higher than CD quality.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:12:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just because it's streaming doesn't mean it's necessarily worse than CDs..... there are streaming formats (such as FLAC) that offer lossless, high bitrate streams.

View Quote

Exactly, I download my music from Bandcamp in the ALAC lossless format and load it into my phone using iTunes.  I don't know why everyone assumes that digital music = compressed .MP3

Do I notice any difference through a car stero?  No.  But I'm not going to store lossless audio files and also .MP3's, so if lossless is a choice then I just use that.  The files are larger, but storage is cheap these days so why not.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I rented a 2021 Infiniti Q60 that had a factory CD player, it quit working on the drive back home somewhere in the Texas panhandle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol, considering how much that service writer will make off the parts commission, he needs to STFU and get the reman unit shipping ASAP. Levinson's were always nice sound reproduction, but if it wasnt the decks in the older cars the main system amp liked to take a shit. Im looking at you 2004-2006 LS430
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2019 RX450h

She’s getting a new head unit.  So it will be fixed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Exactly, I download my music from Bandcamp in the ALAC lossless format and load it into my phone using iTunes.  I don't know why everyone assumes that digital music = compressed .MP3

Do I notice any difference through a car stero?  No.  But I'm not going to store lossless audio files and also .MP3's, so if lossless is a choice then I just use that.  The files are larger, but storage is cheap these days so why not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because it's streaming doesn't mean it's necessarily worse than CDs..... there are streaming formats (such as FLAC) that offer lossless, high bitrate streams.

I’ve tried similar hi-res downloads. The recording still sucked and compressed to shit. Not the digital compression, amplitude and dynamic range compression.

If the source was compressed it doesn’t matter what digital format it is. The source was shit to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
True. Streaming audio is overcompressed MP3 files. CD audio is uncompressed .WAV files, which are pretty muck lossless. CD's will always sound better to the discrete ear...but not as much as good ol' analog!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does a CD produce better music than digital audio file?

EDIT:
Quick google, says that OP is right. Streaming music is compressed and lower quality than CD.  My shitty ears certainly cant tell the difference.  Either way, the sound system in my truck sounds great to me.
True. Streaming audio is overcompressed MP3 files. CD audio is uncompressed .WAV files, which are pretty muck lossless. CD's will always sound better to the discrete ear...but not as much as good ol' analog!

It entirely depends on the source, I can stream or download lossless music to my phone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
My stepdaughter’s 06 Solara has a tape deck and CD player.  I doubt my stepdaughter has ever seen a cassette tape.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#17]
my last vehicle with one was a 2014.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mine has a cassette player ??
View Quote

Yep, I have tape players in 3 vehicles, CD players in the other two.

My neighbor saw the tape player and said "Is that a decoy radio or something?"  I said "No, want to listen to Decade of Decadence?"
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#19]
In Toyota / Lexus….

CD’s have vastly better audio than BT
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Look on eBay.  Not to purchase but there is a place in Ca that repairs factory radios

Don’t have name or if they’re still in business
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How did she break the CD player?  What did she shove in there?  Was it mail?  I bet it was mail.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

EDIT:
Quick google, says that OP is right. Streaming music is compressed and lower quality than CD.  My shitty ears certainly cant tell the difference.  Either way, the sound system in my truck sounds great to me.
View Quote

You had to look this up?  Holy shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

EDIT:
View Quote

Really?  

It’s like night and day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Really shouldn't matter if CDs are better sounding or not.  Car has a CD player installed.  It should work as intended.  Full stop.  

I stream most of the time but do have a CD player in my truck.  I have some music I still prefer to listen to via CD.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#29]
OP married a boomer?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Could be a blown fuse .
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a jazz trio in the back seat.
View Quote

Fitting the piano in must be a bitch!
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I guess you don’t like music then, I hired Luciano Pavarotti as my driver
View Quote

Recently?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I was explaining MTV to my 13 year old son yesterday.

Why would you watch music on TV?

Because you couldn't just download music and google your favorite band. You had to go buy an album or a tape or wait for it to be played on the radio. That was one of the few entertainment options at the time.

But even my new base model Chevy 2500 WT has a freaking bluetooth stereo in that's better than anything we had in the 80's. Spotify for everything.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You are getting more jitter when you use the CD drive live.  Ripping the file eliminates jitter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not use the direct WAV from the cd with a dedicated transport and DAC?

Less jitter, much much more accurate waveform.  Otherwise all CD players would sound the same with can’t be further from the truth.

You are getting more jitter when you use the CD drive live.  Ripping the file eliminates jitter.

You’ll always have jitter in the transport to external decoder because of no dedicated clock from the source.

That’s why I use the incredible DAC in my CD player instead of trying to send it digitally to a pre-pro
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was explaining MTV to my 13 year old son yesterday.

Why would you watch music on TV?

Because you couldn't just download music and google your favorite band. You had to go buy an album or a tape or wait for it to be played on the radio. That was one of the few entertainment options at the time.

But even my new base model Chevy 2500 WT has a freaking bluetooth stereo in that's better than anything we had in the 80's. Spotify for everything.
View Quote

80s and early-mid 90s were the pinnacle of hifi. It’s also when most of the great CD recordings come from.

That’s also why streaming services sound like utter shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I’ve tried similar hi-res downloads. The recording still sucked and compressed to shit. Not the digital compression, amplitude and dynamic range compression.

If the source was compressed it doesn’t matter what digital format it is. The source was shit to begin with.
View Quote

Why till you figure out what happens to the source before they make CD's now
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
lol this post represents arfcom gd perfectly.
View Quote

Are his manual roll up windows sticking too?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.  I haven’t purchased a CD that didn’t sound like compete shit in over a decade. And I’ve tried.

Even plenty of SACD I bought sound like utter compressed shit. Finding good recordings is about impossible these days.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I know.  I haven’t purchased a CD that didn’t sound like compete shit in over a decade. And I’ve tried.

Even plenty of SACD I bought sound like utter compressed shit. Finding good recordings is about impossible these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is why I gave up on 4k blue ray, what is the point when the editing was done at 1080p.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#43]
CDs sound pretty good. I was really rooting for DVD Audio. My mom had an Acura with it back in the day. Having every channel in the car separate was amazing. The amount of data it could hold was fantastic for high def audio.

Anything over Bluetooth sounds like crap. Too much compression, not enough bandwidth.

I run all FLAC off the USB drive in my car. Sounds pretty good but my imaging isn't perfect yet, havnt dropped the coin on a good DSP yet. Really liking the AD gear and the subs my buddy designed. All turned out every clean and not too bright for my damaged ears. Silk tweeters are the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Boggles my mind too…
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
CDs sound pretty good. I was really rooting for DVD Audio. My mom had an Acura with it back in the day. Having every channel in the car separate was amazing. The amount of data it could hold was fantastic for high def audio.

Anything over Bluetooth sounds like crap. Too much compression, not enough bandwidth.

I run all FLAC off the USB drive in my car. Sounds pretty good but my imaging isn't perfect yet, havnt dropped the coin on a good DSP yet. Really liking the AD gear and the subs my buddy designed. All turned out every clean and not too bright for my damaged ears. Silk tweeters are the way to go.
View Quote

SACD and DVD-A are fucking incredible. Mind blowing. Fixes all the problems of CD. I still have my Sony 777es, and a 555es as well.

And then the ipop came out. And you haven’t been able to find a good recording since. That’s why vinyl made such a huge resurgence. “Holy shit!  So this is what music is supposed to sound like!”

Because they have never heard a good recorded CD on a good hifi stereo.  Vast vast majority of people never have. All they’ve ever heard is super compressed sizzly utter shit their entire life.

Soon I’ll get the Sony media player and true hifi DSD recordings as my source.

Till then, I want my CDs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#46]
There are aps that will stream music without compressing it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Why you no LP?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I had an 8-track and a FM converter mounted under the dash of my 66 Rambler.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My 2007 Tahoe has a 8 CD player than if you leave CD’s in it, it starts changing CDs in the middle of the night until the battery goes dead. Not playing anything just changing. Can’t be fixed. So no CDs for me.
View Quote

Bummer. So when u turned off ignition you you heard it shuffling Cds around?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There are aps that will stream music without compressing it.
View Quote

The source is compressed to shit to start with. That’s the point. It sounds like absolute shit.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top