Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2001 3:07:45 PM EDT
Yesterday had a squiz at a Russian RPK in 7.62x39mm.

A standard Tula Arsenal make ('Arrow in triangle'), 1981 make, standard stamped receiver, but with unusual selector markings.

Normally is the ole 'AB' and 'OU' are the standard on Russian AKs, but one has got 'S', 'SF', and 'FF'. And it looks like its 'factory done'. Clear and plain view with no evidence of re-stamping etc.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before? Please respond. Thanks - 1feral1, Sydney

The history of the weapon, is it was captured in Somalia by our contingent back in '93. It also has some arab characters painted on the stock.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks 'M1', say I still own a Grand ole Garand, stored back in Canada, but its a Springfield Armoury, serial 4115XX. Do you know what yr it was made. Its in great shape, all original, and I bought it back in '78 for $260. Cdn.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
romanian kalashnikov's are marked "fa" full auto) and "ff" (semi-auto).

and romanian arsenals use the arrow in a triangle ...however, the arrow is of a somewhat more simple design and lacks the fletches of the russian arrow.

my guess is that you were looking at a romanian rpk.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Another thing different was the bipod assy, it was rigged different than other Russian ones I have seen. As for the FA and FF, those are the markings I saw. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Its too bad that here you cannot own any SA rifles! I sure miss my M1. Thanks for the info on the yr of manuf. I get to Canada from time to time, and each time I am there, I shoot a few clips out of her. She is cleaned and oiled, but put back to 'bed' til the next visit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
It's more than likely an Egyptian made Maadi Misr RPK. They're made on Soviet supplied equipment, and proof marks tend to be similar to Russian built weapons.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yip, its definatly a Romanian RPK, the selector markings gave it away, then I got the 'AK47 Story' book out, and they had a pic. The bipod is the same, and different from a normal Russian (Tula) make.

Small Arms of the World 12th Edition has a proforma of selector markings in it, and Romanian manufacture confirms the markings S, FA, and FF.

Thanks for your assistance. I just thought it was a one off Tula gun.

Regards,

1feral1
Sydney
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top