Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 6:57:12 AM EDT

Tennessee woman kills her husband. And so how does this have ANY possible affect on me, on the nation or the world as a whole to make it BREAKING NATIONAL HEADLINE NEWS! leading off every major national newscast and top news story????

What about the documents showing OBL trying to get "operational support" from Iraq for Al Qaeda terrorist attacks?

What about the documents showing that the Russian Ambassador passed logistical information about our troop positions and numbers to Iraq right before we invaded back in '03?

What about the reconstruction efforts being done by us to stabilize Iraq?

WHY THE HELL IS A LOCAL STORY MAKING LEAD-OFF NATIONAL HEADLINE NEWS!???

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Pastor + missing white kids = OH TEH NOES!!11!11
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Slow news day

+

"If it bleeds, it leads"

=

"BREAKING NATIONAL HEADLINE NEWS!!!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Dead preacher, three missing kids and his wife.

I think the mass mediea was expecting a killer, kidnapper, child molestor.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#5]
hey its better then " dead couple on a cruise ship " for months..

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Just wait, the whole chain of events of this murder will be disected six way from Sunday too.

ETA:  Oh, and the Media as a whole are a bunch of WHORES and PIMPS.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Kids were involved, that's why.  An Amber Alert went out because the childrens' lives were possibly at stake.

The children were found safe, so the story will fall to the back pages.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#8]
It isn't news.  But "news" is now show business, and in show business the more lurid and bloody something is, the better.

Besides, the power brokers in the media machine think we're too stupid to actually be interested in, let alone analyze, issues of foreign policy.  I stopped watching TV news a few weeks back.  Just swore it off because it's turned into Pee Wee Herman's Playhouse and isn't worth watching anymore.  Well, this morning I thought I'd check back briefly with FOX news just to see if my decision was correct.  The first thing I see when I flip the channel is the weather guy standing there talking to some idiot in a big, goofy grape costume or whatever it was.  Like some twisted Vaudeville routine.

I knew then that I had definitely made the right decision. I'll get my news from a wide variety of different sources on the internet, sans 5 foot tall bipedal grapes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes, and there WAS an Amber Alert put out.  I wouldn't have guessed that the Pastor's wife was the killer....

HH
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and there WAS an Amber Alert put out.  I wouldn't have guessed that the Pastor's wife was the killer....

HH

damn it.. i fell for the trap...    

so what happened ?   why did she kill him .. >

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
same reason one missing blonde chick in Aruba is STILL in the news

In the local news or national?  I haven't heard one word about her case for about two months.

Not to hijack, but the third story on the morning news yesterday was about some kid getting kicked off American Idol last night.  And that makes the third story?  We're fighting a war and the third story is about some kid getting kicked off a no-talent music show?

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#12]
THIS was considered "breaking news" in our local rag:
Rachel Corrie Family to Appeal Lawsuit Dismissal
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I've grown to loath the media for just this reason.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What about the documents showing OBL trying to get "operational support" from Iraq for Al Qaeda terrorist attacks?

What about the documents showing that the Russian Ambassador passed logistical information about our troop positions and numbers to Iraq right before we invaded back in '03?

What about the reconstruction efforts being done by us to stabilize Iraq?

I'm with ya (read: Don't care about this murder, honestly). However, the fact that you are aware of the three stories you posted tells me that somebody in the media is doing their job. Otherwise, how would you know about it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the local news or national?  I haven't heard one word about her case for about two months.

Not to hijack, but the third story on the morning news yesterday was about some kid getting kicked off American Idol last night.  And that makes the third story?  We're fighting a war and the third story is about some kid getting kicked off a no-talent music show?

It was all over Fox News this morning.  Some "new clue".  "Are drugs and alcohol to blame for her disapperance?! Find out next!!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I'm sure no one could care less, but they found her and the kids near the GySgtD ranch.  Other than that, it isn't particularly newsworthy for me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't have cable, but the local PBS station carries BBC World News.  It's not perfect, but it's a far cry better than what passes for news in thie country.  

The purpose of news broadcasts is to make money for the network.  No other reason for their existence.  That being said, it is expensive to have journalists in the field.  More journalists in the field = smaller bonus for CEO.  When you pay Catie Curic $13,500,000 per year, that really hits into the budget for things like cameramen, travel expenses, satellite connections etc.  I am old enough to remember when  network world news was 10 minutes of national news followed by 20 minutes of world events.  Today, the broadcast is a series of whaterver is least expensive to cover followed by commercials, repeat ad nauseum.  

I love the intrepid BBC journalists.  Maybe not unbiased, but still out there and covering news like they used to in the old days.

I am serious, just take a look at BBC World News and look at all the different stories and places they talk about.  

As to the woman who shot her minister husband.  I bet before the week is out, it's all his fault and she felt she had to kill him to protect the children.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I loved the recent story.  CNN is convinced she now killed herself and disposed of her own body.  Now that's funny shit.

Its not as good as their coverage of the lost Oregon family where they simply couldn't fathom a big RV could be lost in the snow and accused the family of bugging out to Mexico including the inlaws or they were all murdered and buried including the RV.

This TN story was just another example of how far fetched their crystal ball has become.  Oh yea, maybe some pervert kidnapped the family after killing dad even the small kids.  Of course none of this shit is being covered locally cause nobody has enough facts.  I had to hear about in on national TV, CNN.  To beat it all, after the family is found, CNN continues to do lost stories for hours after they are found and its all over the net.

I'm afraid CNN is about as good these days as Inquire magazine.  I'm waiting on the Alien kidnap butt probe story any day now.

Tj

AMEN!
H1
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm afraid CNN is about as good these days as Inquire magazine.  I'm waiting on the Alien kidnap butt probe story any day now.

Tj

Personally, I think Inquirer Magazine is pretty good, many times, they publish a story, and a few days later the story gets picked up by the so-called mainstream news media.  I would expect some stories in the Inquirer to be BS.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#21]
It's about an evil christian woman killing her more evil christian pastor husband. Next they will work christian GWB into the story and make it his fault. This is the stuff that the amoral liberal news media live for.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Worldwide news media = giant pain amplifier.

Have a nice day...

aa
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It's about an evil christian woman killing her more evil christian pastor husband. Next they will work christian GWB into the story and make it his fault. This is the stuff that the amoral liberal news media live for.

Sheehs, not more of this look at me I'm a victim crap.  They didn't even know about this when it hit big.  If anything, it got more attention just because the kids and wife were that of a Christian pastor.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#24]
tragedy is fun kids!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Because the media is in the business for selling advertising which makes money for them.

They program the content for ratings, because ratings determine how much they can charge for the advertisements.  

Informing the public is not a priority for the media.  Ratings and dollars are.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I love FOX news, but that's one thing that annoys me about them....they will interrupt scheduled boradcasting with "NEWS ALERT" in big red letters like five times a day for the dumbest things.

"BREAKING NEWS: Police in Wyoming arrested someone. For something. We think."

Whoop-dee-doo.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#28]

The "Media's Frenzy Of Irrelevance" continues - Right now in a big red banner across the top of CNN.com, USATODAY, FoxNews and even Drudge -

BREAKING NEWS Mary Winkler, wife of slain minister Matthew Winkler, has confessed to killing him, police in Selmer, Tennessee, say!!

Who the fuck cares and why should I be interested in this PURELY LOCAL STORYat all???

And yet the story about how Russia passed US warplans to Iraq is NOWHERE to be seen on any of the mainstream media websites. So the same country that is now trying to broker a "deal" regarding Iran's nuclear enrichment program gave away our military plan to our enemy just before we invaded.

Go back to sleep sheep, go back to sleep.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Pastor's wife kills pastor=> religious right folks are killers  => religious right are bad and hypocritical=> religious right support BUSH=> BAD for BUSH
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

People were looking at a picture of the pastor and thinking "I would have hit that"??

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey...if it keeps Michael Jackson outta my TV, I'll watch it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Neverland ranch is closing. It is older than 15 years now and Jacko has no interest in it any more.

David spade said that last night on his show...

This is big news because....because....because.....

I dont know. I am already sick of it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neverland ranch is closing. It is older than 15 years now and Jacko has no interest in it any more.

David spade said that last night on his show.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I reiterate.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Pastor's wife kills pastor=> religious right folks are killers  => religious right are bad and hypocritical=> religious right support BUSH=> BAD for BUSH

LOL!!

Just pulled this from DU'h:

Reasons she killed him

1. Abusive marriage
2. Adultery on either part
3. Abusive towards kids
4. Insurance scam
5. Mental illness on her part

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I love FOX news, but that's one thing that annoys me about them....they will interrupt scheduled boradcasting with "NEWS ALERT" in big red letters like five times a day for the dumbest things.

"BREAKING NEWS: Police in Wyoming arrested someone. For something. We think."

Whoop-dee-doo.

Yep, 24 hour news channels report everything as a major crisis, because they have to fill up 24 hours of air time! So everytime aunt Bettie in Seattle falls down the stairs and breaks her hip, it's BREAKING NEWS out of Seattle!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Fox doesn't want to talk about Iraq or immigration. Loser topics for republicans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top