Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2005 6:50:51 PM EDT
My situation with my job is becoming more and more screwed up every day. Today they asked me if I would mind doing a 2 month project in Manhattan. I asked my boss if he thought that this would interfere with the plans of relocating to Texas that we have been discussing, to which he replied "Probably".

So, I have been looking for another job, and I can't help but notice that there are more jobs for what I do in California then there are in the rest of the country combined.

That said, can anyone think of any reasons that I shouldn't move to California? I mean aside from the gun control, outragous cost of living, astronomical taxes, uncontrolable crime rate, and it being completely overcrowded.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Senators and mudslides.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
CA is a damn nice place to live the amount of hot woman and great weather is just insane.

Do you realize it was a sunny 75 at my house today?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Senators and mudslides.

Wildfires and earthquakes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Senators and mudslides.

San Francisco and Los Angeles
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
taggage

san diego in 2 months here
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Senators and mudslides.

Firearm laws
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]
If your on a pro gun board and you have to ask this question, you just need to move there and be done with it.

And when you do, don't come complaining here.

"stupid is as stupid does."

Chris
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't bring your guns or your cars.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Ever want to own a house?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my freedom. I like the ground staying still.  I like 4 distinct seasons.  I would rather not be surrounded by folks with a liberal persuasion (not that there's anything wrong with that.)  Lastly, I am a law abiding citizen and would be a felon if I took my 5.56 caliber babies to CA (I could care less how nice the weather was today.)  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]
go,

just vote finestien out.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Feinstein and Boxer....need I say more?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#14]
2 reasons:  Boxter and Fienstien
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That said, can anyone think of any reasons that I shouldn't move to California? I mean aside from the gun control, outragous cost of living, astronomical taxes, uncontrolable crime rate, and it being completely overcrowded.

If that's not enough reasons for you to avoid my home, then pack your bags and come on over.  Hopefully I'll evacuate before you get here.

I pay $895 for a 1 bedroom apartment w/o washer & dryer hookups.  I can't even buy a friggin Beretta Storm, let alone an AR that doesn't operate on a silly reciever swivel.  Crime rate ain't that bad in San Diego.  If you live the wrong direction from work a freeway drive can take between 45min and 3 hours to and from work....do you really want to do that?

Personally, stay where you are and keep looking.  It ain't worth it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have to ask that question ....ITS TOO LATE!!! You are already gone!! Living in a dead mans body!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ever want to own a house?

Interest only mortgage ... granted, you'll have to find the next sucker within ten years.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Well for starters.....no AR's

But the good news is your neighbors are great interior decorators
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#22]
In Oregon we still (for now anyhow) have decent gun laws and C2/3/10 available to us.   It was a sunny 70ish today and for that matter the last few weeks.   I damned near believe OR/CA are changing weather patterns.   Nicely though we dont get big hurricanes/earthquakes here.   No sales tax either.    Basically NO freaking way would I EVER move to CA, not even for a 100% pay raise and twice the vacation time!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
High taxes

Shitty gun laws

Earthquakes

35 million people

Liberals run everything

Gridlock

Smog

Big Brother laws

Hollywierd

High prices

Outta sight property values (Want to buy a home one day?)

Just too damn much of everything...or not enough of a certain commodity...water or electricity anyone?

Lived there most of my life...never going back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I pay $895 for a 1 bedroom apartment w/o washer & dryer hookups.

And I pay 41 dollars a month less buying a four bedroom, two and a half bath, three car garage house 2315 square feet small worth $325,000. My old apartment was $1500 for a 1400 square foot three bedroom place a couple mile down the road.

Median prices are into the low $400,000 now.  We're talking 2-3 br, 2 bath homes.  I could find my way into a place down here, but what the point if I want out?  It'll just tie me down.

The only good reason I've have to buy down here is to build equity for my eventual evacuation.

EDIT: BTW, motown...you got more than 400k available to you?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Senators and mudslides.

Firearm laws

The land of fruits, nuts and flakes....
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#27]
If you really need to ask this question....

..take off.

Kalifornia.

Your paradise awaits you.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#28]
If you move to California, knowing full well how restrictive its laws are on law abiding citizens, you have no right to complain about them once you get there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If you move to California, knowing full well how restrictive its laws are on law abiding citizens, you have no right to complain about them once you get there.

I'm not moving to Kalifornia. This was nothing more than a sarcastic rant.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#30]
If one wants to be part of a huge tax base which funnels massive quantities of funds to one of the most anti gun Governments in the country California would be the place to go.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Gun Laws= well yes that is fucked up.

High Cost of Living = The salaries offered offset that.
High Taxes = Not really. Not as high as say NYC its all relative.
Uncontrollable Crime rate = I live(d) in So Orange County, Rancho Santa Margarita. You can leave you car unlocked parked in the street and no one would steal it. Have done it many times. My buddy leave his Porche on the driveway with the top down. Depends on where you live. I would not do that in South Central Los Angeles.
Over Crowded = Again a relative term. I grew up in a big city S.F., there are wide open space in CA that you can get away from. Traffic is bitch though. Out of all the places I have lived. Only DC will hold a candle to SoCal traffic.

SoCal is the only place in the country that has beaches, ski resorts in the same state and be able to take advantage of both on the same day. I have done. Gone to Snow Summit during that day to ski and Newport Beach to hangout in the afternoon.

Food is awesome!!!

Melting pot of Cultures. If you are open minded to other races and learning about them. CA is it.

Jobs, yes we have jobs. Unfortunately nothing for my silly ass, I have to go to New Orleans for mine. But I plan on coming back ASAP!!! Resume is being updated as we speak.

I don't care what anyone says, I will always be a Californian no matter where I end up.

you gotta be fucking kidding me, ok for you fuckers that dont have a clue.... the median home price in the california gay area according to most recent numbers is about $527,000 this is not the price of a nice house in a decent neighborhood in a nice city!! this is a POS have you ever wanted to have the median of anything? NO! you better be getting a serious fucking pay raise to go out there, Im on my way out .... check out a cost of living calculator
http://www.homefair.com/homefair/servlet/ActionServlet?pid=200&tool=salarycalculator&previousPage=116&cid=homefair&fromState=CA&toState=NV&salary=50000&fromCity=0633000&toCity=3240000&ownrent=own

Oh but really if it were not for the rediculous cost of housing and living in CA coupled with the large amount of complete fucking idiots that live here it would be a great place to live. and if you go to the bay area I can personally assure you that it is the worse place ever to live, and you might as well sell all of your rifles there is no damn place to shoot them out here unless you wanna spend the whole day on the bench. dont do it man.... friends dont let friends move to the bay area or cali
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#32]
edit. sarcastic post only, I see....very witty

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I love it here in Orange County. I was born here, and have lived most of my life in this area. Very conservitive (voted BUSH 60%) very nice weather, and great amenities. BUT you pay through the nose for a home or apt.  A 1 bedroom apt here is about 1400 a month, IIRC.  

Houses here in a nice area start around 700,000 for a detached 3 bedroom, 2000 sf house. on a 4500sf lot.  My kids will not be able to graduate college and live here. This will be why we eventually leave. Sad, really.

The weather is great. There is so much to do, from skiing to surfing to camping.

Name something that you like to do, and I can tell you that it's here within an hour and a half drive of Orange County: (most within 20 miles)

Baseball? We have 3 major League teams
Football? 1 NFL team
Basketball? 2 NBA teams
Hockey? 1 NHL team
Theater? It's in LA (if you swimg that way)
Colleges? I lost count after 20 within 60 miles of here.
Ranges? 3 within an easy drive
Archery? 3 indoor, and 5 outdoor within 30 miles.

Just stay out of the bad areas, OH--and there are bad areas... Good rule of thumb as to whether an area is good or bad; If it is obscenely expensive, then it is a good area. If it is kind of expensive, then AVOID!!

Good luck

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I lived in Kalifornia once..........once!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gun Laws= well yes that is fucked up.

High Cost of Living = The salaries offered offset that.
High Taxes = Not really. Not as high as say NYC its all relative.
Uncontrollable Crime rate = I live(d) in So Orange County, Rancho Santa Margarita. You can leave you car unlocked parked in the street and no one would steal it. Have done it many times. My buddy leave his Porche on the driveway with the top down. Depends on where you live. I would not do that in South Central Los Angeles.
Over Crowded = Again a relative term. I grew up in a big city S.F., there are wide open space in CA that you can get away from. Traffic is bitch though. Out of all the places I have lived. Only DC will hold a candle to SoCal traffic.

SoCal is the only place in the country that has beaches, ski resorts in the same state and be able to take advantage of both on the same day. I have done. Gone to Snow Summit during that day to ski and Newport Beach to hangout in the afternoon.

Food is awesome!!!

Melting pot of Cultures. If you are open minded to other races and learning about them. CA is it.

Jobs, yes we have jobs. Unfortunately nothing for my silly ass, I have to go to New Orleans for mine. But I plan on coming back ASAP!!! Resume is being updated as we speak.

I don't care what anyone says, I will always be a Californian no matter where I end up.

you gotta be fucking kidding me, ok for you fuckers that dont have a clue.... the median home price in the california gay area according to most recent numbers is about $527,000 this is not the price of a nice house in a decent neighborhood in a nice city!! this is a POS have you ever wanted to have the median of anything? NO! you better be getting a serious fucking pay raise to go out there, Im on my way out .... check out a cost of living calculator
http://www.homefair.com/homefair/servlet/ActionServlet?pid=200&tool=salarycalculator&previousPage=116&cid=homefair&fromState=CA&toState=NV&salary=50000&fromCity=0633000&toCity=3240000&ownrent=own

Yes cost of living is higher in CA, but like I said the salaries offset that.

I can only use my industry and the semi conductor industry as an example as that is what I have knowledge off.

My best friend worked for Texas Instrument here in TX and tfrd to Applied Materials there in Santa Clara.

TX he earned around $80K+ bonuses as an engineer. In Santa Clara, same job earning $150K+ bonus.

In CA I earned close to $90K salary + bonus. In TX I earned $45K for that same exact job.

See how salaries vary to offset cost of living.

Here's where you get hosed.

Property taxes can be higher in TX depending on your county. Insurance was much higher. Both health and car. I had the same car I had in CA. I paid $85mo in CA. As soon as I switched my address to TX it jumped to $135 a month and kept going up to right around $185. Clean driving record. Also certain perishable groceries are taxed in TX. My renters insurance also went up from $85 a yr in CA to $110 a yr in TX.

Bay Area is very expensive. So is Manhattan. But if you look at the average income earned in those areas, it will be higher than most parts of the country. Thereby warranting the higher cost for housing. Simple econimics really.

that is a region specific industry in that case it gets closer to making up for it. additionally you have the best companies in the country that can offer the most for those type of jobs in that place.  depending on your specific job it will make a huge difference. without giving out a ton of personal information for me the math did not make sense to stay... each situation must be evaluated seperately.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Having lived in both Michigan and California, I will attempt to answer your question intelligently.  it might be a stretch for me, i know.

Crime:  Crime in California is not any worse than Michigan.  Nice middle class areas are generally safe in either state.  the urban ghetto area's in either state are where the dangers are. Going for a walk at night in flint, detroit, grand rapids, or south lansing is no less dangerous than south central LA or compton.  Michigan has a problem with Crack that could but any states crime rate to shame.

Housing: Prices in Cali are generally higher.  However I am seeing plenty of half million dollar homes n nicer areas of michigan now too.  Property taxes in Cali are generally lower than Michigan.  You will pay more for Gas & housing here, you will pay less for everything else.

Jobs:  The same job generally pays more in Cali than Michigan.  I get paid about $35.00 an hour to do a job that pays about $12.00 an hour in Michigan.  With no degree I make more than most michigan police chiefs, and I'm just a lowly patrol cop.  Some relatives wanted tme to lateral to the MSP until i showed them i would have to be a MSP Captain to make what i make here.

Weather:  No comparison.

Women: No comparison.

Entertainment: No comparison.

Gun Control:  It's bad for those moving from out of state.  you cant bring your AR or hicaps.  Some aspects are better than michigan though.  Illegal CCW is only a misdemeanor, not a felony like Michigan.  No "pistol purchase permit"  aka "two-trips-to-the-cop-shop" just to buy a handgun like in Michigan. You go to the store, buy your gun, take delivery 10-days later. You dont have to go to the PD like in michigan.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#39]
C'mon over. All the COWARDS have Moved. Need the Pro-Gun help.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I grew up in Pennsylvania, but moved to California after I EAS'd from the Marine Corps, having married a California girl. I gave it four and a half years but was thrilled when I got an offer to be transferred to Texas.

and what does texas have to do with moving from Michigan to Cali?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#41]
It might fall into the ocean at any moment.  Of course, it saves you the cost of a boat.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Other than the Gun Laws, If I could find a Job doing what Im doing now for the same type of money I make...

I would go back...

Only on ARFcom would a M1a and a .45 be called "Unarmed".
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:57:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Action figures dolls.

CW
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Isn't it a communist state?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:10:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:02:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Just like that TV commercial..I'm in debt up tp my eyeballs.  I live in the bay area

I already have my ARs before 2000. Guns is no problem for me
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:09:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:08:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:56:28 AM EDT
[#49]
I lived in the Bay Area and moved to Texas because of the high cost of living in CA. Here's a few examples:

1. A 1200 sq ft house cost $750K in CA and $120K in Texas. I would never have been able to buy I house if I stayed in CA.
2. Everything cost about 10-20% more (food, groceries, services etc.)
3. Gasoline cost 20-25% more in CA.
4. No state income tax in Texas, but property taxes on a house is about 2.75% of it's value annually.

I love it in Austin. The weather is very mild most of the year, there are great driving roads and you can own machineguns. It was 65 degrees here yesterday and 80 degrees through the whole weekend. We do get several weeks a year of 100+ degree heat. But it's a dry heat.  I believe Austin was voted the number 1 city for singles dating last year by some magazine. Also Austin has been voted numerous times as one of best places to live in the US. It's always in the top 5 cities for that. Last year I think Austin got #2.

Here's a pic of Austin from near my house.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#50]
2 months in Manhttan on your employer's dime, and this is a problem for you?  I'd LOVE to be in your shoes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top