Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:30:42 PM EDT
My dog, Bodie, finds dried worms outside a few days after a rain and brings them into the house. No big deal, except he puts it on the floor and proceeds to rub his neck onto it. Over and over. He has done this in the past with 'possum poop and some other gross things, but the worms seem to be his favourite.

Any reason for this?

Here's a picture of him a few minutes ago with his latest "find"...

Eric  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Hes trying to make himself smell nice to garner your attention.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my dogs likes to lick his butt.  The other one likes to sit down and scoot across the floor rubbing her butt on the carpet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]
He wants you to hump him.  He got tired of your leg.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe they do it to get the smell of their fresh "kill" on them for others to smell.  I do not know if it is isolated to males, but I think it is for "bragging rights".  That masculine thing that males do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Dogs do this because they think they're doing you a favor.

They're bringing you the scent of something interesting.  A dead carcass, for example, is useful information for the pack -- they can go feast on it.  Droppings from other animals will tell you about creatures in your territory, either rival packs or potential prey.

You see, he thinks you use your nose in the same way he does.  It's just another example of how much dogs want to help out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I would venture to guess that the dog is trying to get the scent from the worm onto his body. It is a instinctual masking thing with them. The worse it smells to humans the better is how it goes with my dogs.

This is an observation only. I have not personally researched it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I dunno, I am just a truck driver, not a pet behavioral psyciatrist.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
At least hes not dragging his asshole on your carpet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would venture to guess that the dog is trying to get the scent from the worm onto his body. It is a instinctual masking thing with them. The worse it smells to humans the better is how it goes with my dogs.

I believe most of the scent left behind by dogs actually comes from between their toes.  They have scent glands there and that's the reason you sometimes see them 'kicking' and rubbing the toes on their back legs into the ground.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it has something to do with hiding their scent .
Stems back from when they had to hunt for there food and the smell
of something dead would not alarm prey as much as the scent of the animal
that hunted them. I could be full of shit too I don't know , but some one told me that once.
When my dogs find something dead in the woods , they roll around in it and they stink
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Is his neck itchy or irritated?  Maybe he's using them as some dog salve...

And for the record, I think dog's dragging their asses on the floor is hilarious.  My girlfriend yelled at me for wanting to give him a treat when he did it.  So what if I sympathize with an itchy ass.  haha
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
He just went and hid it somewhere in the house...  Luckily he can't get into our bedroom.

He's a Jack Russell and a born hunter, nothing gets past him.  He is always keyed in on something alive and goes after animals in the yard like a madman.

I think the scent thing might be correct, he definitely smells kind of rank right now!

Eric  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Now, here is some text I copied from a champion dog breeders site.  Could be 1 of 3 things according to them:

Sometimes dogs will roll in the grass or in something smelly right after getting a bath. Some dog shampoos have perfumes that may be pleasant to humans but smell awful to the animal. It is just an effort to mask the unpleasant and un-dog-like odor.

Wolves will often roll in decomposing carcasses or the feces of plant eating animals or herbivores. This would mask their own scent and enable them to sneak up on their prey without detection. It could even fool members of the other species into accepting it as one of their own. This ancient instinct may have carried over to domesticated dogs.

Another school for thought is that dogs may roll in smelly things to 'advertise' what they have found to other dogs.

Mmm! What was he rolling in?

Rolling in their own feces or that of another dog is not as common and actually may be distorted behavior or a way to get attention.

What to do
Although rolling in something smelly is not desirable behavior, you should not punish the dog for doing what is only natural. It is better to try to prevent the chances of the behavior by keeping an eye on your pet. Fortunately, the behavior seems to diminish as the dog gets more mature.

Also, if it happens after a bath, you might try a different, unscented shampoo.

Dogs that roll in dog feces or their own may be seeking more attention and just doing something like that to get some sort of attention.

In conclusion
Dogs will usually roll in smelly or rotting things to mask their own smell, whether it is unpleasant to them or due to some natural instinct
UNQUOTE
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My girlfriend yelled at me for wanting to give him a treat when he did it.  So what if I sympathize with an itchy ass.  haha

Dude, that's hilarious.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
One of my dogs likes to lick his butt.  The other one likes to sit down and scoot across the floor rubbing her butt on the carpet.

This more than likely means that your dog has worms. Get it treated man.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm betting your 2nd ID isn't as a Vet--it means it has impacted anal gland(s).  

It could just be an itchy ass folks.  They can't reach around with their paw and pick at their anus like humans
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It could just be an itchy ass folks.  They can't reach around with their paw and pick at their anus like humans

Sometimes I just prefer to scoot on the floor.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

yep, time to squeeze out his butt glands. Geez, don't you guys watch "dirty jobs"?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat me to it, that is a sign of worms, my 8mo old choc. Lab (Sig) was doing that, I looked at his terds, and there were worms, looked like grains of rice. I bought some dewormer at wally world, and he hasn't done it since. Off topic, he, the Lab pup, has started helping me bring in fire wood, started off as just a chew toy, now he will bring in a smaller log, and lay it in the wood crib by the fireplace, I just wanted to brag on the little demon, he doen't give me to many chances to brag on him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep, time to squeeze out his butt glands. Geez, don't you guys watch "dirty jobs"?

my dog will die of impacted glands before I go squeezing anything for him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Animal instinct... he's trying to mask his own smell for when he goes hunting.

Kinda like when a deer hunter sprays himself with scent to mask his own smell.

That's right on.  I had a cattle dog that rubbed her neck in cow shit before heading out to the pasture to chase livestock.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#25]
My Jack Russel (the breed is now called parsons terrier btw) will eat yellowjackets. Occasionaly she will take one after she killed it and then put it down and then very very carefuly roll on it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat me to it, that is a sign of worms, my 8mo old choc. Lab (Sig) was doing that, I looked at his terds, and there were worms, looked like grains of rice. I bought some dewormer at wally world, and he hasn't done it since. Off topic, he, the Lab pup, has started helping me bring in fire wood, started off as just a chew toy, now he will bring in a smaller log, and lay it in the wood crib by the fireplace, I just wanted to brag on the little demon, he doen't give me to many chances to brag on him.

I hate to tell you but the "grains of rice" are tapeworm sections.  Nothing you can buy at Wally-World will touch them.  You need Droncit--only available through a Vet.  You need to get rid of the fleas too, as that's where/how they get tapeworms.  

These looked liked individual worms, they were moving, and since the wally wormer, I haven't seen anymore, he is fixing to get his nuts chopped next week, I will ask the vet about it. As far as fleas, he gets bathed often, and treated with frontline, I've never seen a flea on him, I'll keep your advice in mind, Thanks...Treeman
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#27]
My dog does the exact same thing......scratching his face I believe.....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
At least hes not dragging his asshole on your carpet.

+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#29]
 One of my hounds (DAN) likes to eat worms.

He goes outside after a rain and slurps them up off of the sidewalk like noodles.

He freaked the wife out one day when he came in.

There was a worm sticking out of his jowels that was still alive and moving around.

Rest in Peace Dan. 02/15/99 to 02/15/06. God i miss him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe..??  Your dog is a tard....??..

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#31]
cuz its a genius!!!

seriously...  

ive had a couple dogs, none have done that...

i think yers is broken and needs to be sent back for a replacement model.

he might be a bushmaster with a canted FSB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top