Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2015 1:20:27 PM EDT
Why do used 10/22s bring so much money? They seem to always sell for as much or more than new ones. I've noticed this at gun shows, estate auctions, classifieds, online local sales, etc.

After observing this phenomenon over and over I decided to list one of mine on a local online classified site. It was a plain jane 2 year old carbine with wood stock and blued barrel. I intentionally listed it at more than I paid new just to see what would happen.

Sure enough, I had potential buyers contacting me almost immediately. One guy tried to "lowball" me with a $200 offer but all the others were eager and willing to pay my asking price.

I met the first guy who contacted me a couple hours later and sold it for cash on the spot. He drove over an hour round trip and passed at least 5 shops were he could have bought the same gun, brand new, for less money. The guy was legit, a retired cop and current CCDW instructor, so it's not like he was a prohibited felon trying to skirt the law.

As one of the most common firearms in America what makes people willing to pay a premium for 10/22?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Because people by and large are fucking retarded
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Because they are good guns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI. Words of wisdom.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

BINGO
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

but unfortunately,

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
FPNI , my local Gander mountain has a used Glock 22 for $500 , my local gun board is full of used guns at new or higher prices and 22 ammo at $50 a brick must sell am not a scalper .
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The older 10/22s were better built.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I agree. Glocks are good pistols too but I don't see anyone rushing to buy used ones at >new retail.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone wants one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes, I agree. Glocks are good pistols too but I don't see anyone rushing to buy used ones at >new retail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In that case the only explanation I can come up with is the desire of some folks to buy a gun "off-record" without having to fill out a 4473.  Call it a "privacy premium".

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I never understood that either - lower receives are the same way.  The only thing I can think is its because of the paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Everyone wants one.
View Quote

Not everyone.

On the bright side, I was able to sell mine for what I paid for it too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. The old ones with the pot metal trigger guard are much nicer than the new ones with the plastic trigger guard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I never understood that either - lower receives are the same way.  The only thing I can think is its because of the paperwork.
View Quote

I think that's probably the answer and it would apply to any gun, not just 10/22s.  They're just more common and popular.

People did this a lot back in the '90s because the fear was the Clinton Administration was going to try to confiscate pre-ban ARs.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Because quality has declined over time. painted finish instead of blue and anodized. Plastic trigger group instead of aluminum, ext.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#17]
No Ruger-parts 10/22 is best 10/22.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

By a mile.

That said some folks just don't mind paying a premium to get a gun with no 4473 involved.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Or people want one without a paper trail.

ETA: ^^^^^^ as said above
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Because quality has declined over time. painted finish instead of blue and anodized. Plastic trigger group instead of aluminum, ext.
View Quote

This.  Newer isn't always better.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
plus people alot of times just want a receiver to build a rifle off of

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Because the older ones are better and more desirable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#23]
maybe a lot of people want to buy some guns without 4473 trails?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

People still pay "new" prices for the plastic and painted ones.

I also wouldn't say quality has declined, they made some unreliable ones back in the day, and the new ones seem to be a bit better overall even with the cheaper components.  I would still rather have the nicer finish of the old ones, but the new ones seem to have better QC. I guess it could be said that  a good old gun is better than a good new gun but there seemed to be more bad old ones than bad new ones.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Everyone wants one.
View Quote

I can live without one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep. The old ones with the pot metal trigger guard are much nicer than the new ones with the plastic trigger guard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just bought a brand new 10/22 and have no complaints with the trigger.
It is fit poorly in the stock, and the front sight keeps moving on me.
I center punched the sight so maybe it will stay now.
This gun is more accurate and reliable than the one I had in the 90's.
I'll keep it unless it keeps trying to self disassemble.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

maybe a lot of people want to buy some guns without 4473 trails?
View Quote

There are plenty of people out there who want to do that.  During the '90s the gun boards were full of advice on how to completely stay off the government's radar when it came to owning guns.  You can do it, but it's very, very, very difficult.

Basically, you have to buy anything gun-related with cash -- ammo, supplies, etc.  All guns must be bought face-to-face.  You can't get a hunting license, CCW permit, or even attend a hunter's safety course, because all of those put you on a government database.  Some paranoid persons refused to even join the NRA or other groups for fear their records would be hacked/seized or they were infiltrated by the FBI.

Yeah, some gun owners were pretty paranoid during the '90s....  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I can live without one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone wants one.

I can live without one.

Me too
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Base 10-22 quality has fell off so much in the last 10 years that I'd never recommend one as a first or only .22 rifle. They seem to be built only with a mind to be scrapped for the receiver.  

Today you are likely as not to get a loose barrel, canted sights, and a tight spot in the bore where the rear sight dovetail is cut. Even the formerly uber-reliable 10 round rotary mags are having issues it seems.

The days are long gone when you could feed anything into a 10-22 and it would eat it.

I never thought I'd see the day when the humble Marlin Model 60 is a far and away better rifle in all the respects that matter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#30]
weird.. didnt know about the quality issues.  I bought a used one for 150 about 10 years ago.. then spent many times that replacing just about everything but the receiver

Runs like a top tho
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
In the gun world usually some feature or function specific to that particular version plus it no longer being made or in short supply will mean automatic high demand and increased price in the second hand market. It doesn't even have to be a desirable or successful feature, it just has to be limited or discontinued. It needs to have some air that if we can't get it now we will never get one, may not have even wanted one in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not everyone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone wants one.

Not everyone.

Really? why the hate for the 10/22? I can see sort of hating the newer ones with their plastic buttplates etc...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Really? why the hate for the 10/22? I can see sort of hating the newer ones with their plastic buttplates etc...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone wants one.

Not everyone.

Probably because they won't shoot 1/4 MOA groups at 100yd.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#35]
OP, I own a new 10-22 that I bought on sale.

I also own a couple of 10-22s that are 20-25 years old.

I guarantee you that the older ones were made better.  Much better.

I would trade my new one for one about 20 years old that had been taken care of right now. Even money.

Did the front sight fall off of my older ones?  No.   Did it fall off of my new one?  Yes.

Did the pins in the trigger group fall out of my older ones?   No.   Do they fall out of my newer one?  Yes.

Did they use cheap-assed plastic for the lower receiver/tigger housing on  my older ones?  No.  Did they use cheap-assed plastic on my new one?  Yes.

I rest my case.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Because 10/22's are the used Taco's of the gun world. At least they are NOT $19,000.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone wants one.

Not everyone.

Yeah, that is clearly it.

Not wanting a 10/22 is hating it because it isn't 1/4 MOA.

Drama queens around here.

The 10/22 doesn't do anything that other rifles I own do better.  I don't buy guns just to say I have one, I buy guns for specific reasons.  There is no reason for me to own a 10/22.  It sat in the safe gathering dust so I sold it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Mine was $150.

ETA: It was made in 1982. I bought it from a friend in 2005 or so.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#39]
the older ones are generally better out of the box than the current production models.  older 10/22s had better factory barrels, and the trigger group was metal, not plastic. my $189 carbine was shotgun pattern accurate out of the box.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Remington 597 that feels like a full-size rifle where a 10/22 feels like a toy.  Bought it well before the big merger, so I don't know what they're like now though.  I honestly don't know which modern .22 autoloader I'd be looking at if I didn't have one and needed one.  One of the AR replicas, probably.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

By a mile.

That said some folks just don't mind paying a premium to get a gun with no 4473 involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By a mile.

This.... according to pops, "it's like the old days when you could just buy a gun."
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the best statement, a lot of these jackasses out there bought brand new gun for well over what they should have payed for it & now are trying to get their money back. Also, they believe that since you don't have to do a background check to buy their used guns then they are worth more or the same value as a brand new gun.

*fyi I have (2) 10/22's and they are great guns and will hold their value.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought my 43-year old 10-22 for $35 - no lie - at a "midnight sale".

Think I could sell it and buy two new ones?

Oh, yeah, it's had less than 5000 rounds through it over the years, too!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Everyone wants one.
View Quote

I want some, too!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You must not use Armslist or Facebook gun groups! Lol. Or maybe people have sense in your area. I rarely see a Glock under $500 for sale.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I prefer my tube fed Marlin, holds ~20 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I prefer my tube fed Marlin, holds ~20 rounds.
View Quote

I've got a 60 too, but damn is it a PITA to reload.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#50]
OP replace 10/22 with any optic and things get really stupid on the EE.  Saw one optic a few weeks ago Palmetto was selling for $49, he wanted $100.  

Quoted:
the older ones are generally better out of the box than the current production models.  older 10/22s had better factory barrels, and the trigger group was metal, not plastic. my $189 carbine was shotgun pattern accurate out of the box.  

View Quote

WOW...I didn't know they'd gone down hill like that.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top