Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 2:35:51 PM EDT
Ever try put a tent or something back into the bag it came in?

What a PITA!

Some sadistic bastard designs the bags.

Putting the damned thing back into the bag is an insidious Chinese Puzzle!

The factory that packs these things into the sacks has a giant press, a huge table and God knows what else.

The guy in the field has uneven ground and his hands.

Bastards!

Whoever designed this had a Fu Manchu moustache and 6" fingernails.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If the bag was larger, and therefore easier to stuff, then they'd call it a "gently-fill" sack.

Naw... I hear ya. They're so small so you can carry more gear. I only use my sleeping bag stuff sacks when back-packing. I usually put them in a large pillow case so they maintain their loft.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Except for my sleeping bag, none of my camping gear is in the original sack.  They are a major PITA that I swear was only intended to hold the product when properly folded by some machine and jammed in there with a giant press.

Fortunately, I have been able to accept buying replacements from OR as a wise investment considering the additional protection.

SBG
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Except for my sleeping bag, none of my camping gear is in the original sack.  They are a major PITA that I swear was only intended to hold the product when properly folded by some machine and jammed in there with a giant press.

They're stuff sacks, not 'fold and insert' sacks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I just finished off a camping trip yesterday and I almost had a heart attack.  We got one of those double heighth queen air matresses from Wally World  and not only could I easily get all the air out, I folded and rolled it up and it went back in the factory bag.

For my tents I usually roll them up with the poles and ground clothes and flys together, so I get a new bag that fits easily.  My backpacking tents always (finally) got stuffed in the factory bags, but you need to make sure you get the far side in first and the OPEN door in last to let the trapped air out.

I keep my various  mummy bags in big bags all fluffed out for storage so when I actually stuff them in a sack I use after market compression straps.  You aren't going to get a nicely fluffed out sleeping bag in a small sack without too much work.  So you use the compression sack and then go around a few times pulling it down to size with the compression straps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top