Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2005 7:19:30 AM EDT
Most of the time I see them it doesn't even make any sense. It's like people are so stupid that once they see a few trucks with them they feel like they must have them too whether they actually use them or not. Why are people such sheep?

There's a guy at my work that has a newer Chevy 4x4 that's stock, and you know how low Chevy 4x4's are to begin with, anyway he has these side steps that hang down about 8 inches below the door. I don't get it, he now has the ground clearance of a Crown Victoria because of those stupid assed steps. I saw them one day on a stock Grand Cherokee, yeah like that's real high and hard to get into.

Maybe on a real high lifted truck...maybe, but on stock ones that aren't very high? If you can't get in the fucking thing buy a car, shit.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Why do people buy 4X4's when they live in the city, and only use them to get groceries, and pick the kids up from school? On the off chance that they may have to pick their kids up in three feet of snow some day?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Well i got them for my wife's SUV, because she's not very tall & they actually help her out a lot when she's stepping in & out of her truck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why do people buy 4X4's when they live in the city, and only use them to get groceries, and pick the kids up from school? On the off chance that they may have to pick their kids up in three feet of snow some day?

Shit, you don't know how great it was that we had an SUV when Katrina hit Miami. There was so much crap & trees on the road that a regular car could not make it through some streets. Actually it would have been damn near impossible for us to leave our house after the storm if it wasn't for our SUV.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Check the ground clearance on some of them- some trucks already have greeblies underneath that would hit at the same time the steps do. I don't care personally, but agree that some of the sissy trucks (you've seen them, they're like conversion vans, only trucks: They have all the crappy graphics and junk that conversion vans do) look stupid and lose their clearance ability when the steps are added.

Moreso than the steps, RAILS around the bed of a truck gets me. Every time I'm in South Carolina I see hundreds of pickup trucks with bed rails on... What's up with that? It's not a freakin' tub! Do they hold up when you put something big and heavy that rests on the edge of the bed??? UGGGGG...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well i got them for my wife's SUV, because she's not very tall & they actually help her out a lot when she's stepping in & out of her truck.

Why didn't you just buy her a car then? Does she actually need an SUV? If some sort of SUV was really necessary for her there are plenty of car based ones that sit lower.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm really interested to know what leads to some peoples automobile purchases like someone buying a truck that they can't even get in or out of.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Because they can?

I'm surprised to see such a Liberal PC mantra appear here on ARFCOM.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have them on my 4x4 because I actually take it trail riding. They'd be ripped off in about five minutes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll be buying a 4x4 to probably only use 2-3 times over the life of the truck, because I still hear about getting my 2wd truck stuck in a flat muddy parking lot at the Richmond gun show about 3 years ago.

And yes I'll be getting the running boards on it as well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Honestly?

I thin they look good, and more importantly, they help (short) women get in.

YMMV.

I keep telling myself I need to get some of those, but always come up with an excuse not to, in hopes of eventually finding a taller woman.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The weird thing is thas my girlfriend is only about 5'4" and I bought her a full size Bronco 4x4 and she gets in it without side steps and it's higher than most newer SUV's. In fact she wouldn't even let me put them on there, she thinks they're gay too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Nerf bars  don't hang any lower than the frame and help keep rocks and stumps off the rocker panels if ya actually off raod your truck.  Same idea as bruch bars, skid plates, ect.  Although more are for bling anymore than actually useful.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Because they want to. Why do people insist on buying barrels with M203 step down cuts when they will never have an M203? Because they want to.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Because they want to. Why do people insist on buying barrels with M203 step down cuts when they will never have an M203? Because they want to.

Yeah, but at least the M4 barrels say "I'm ready for an M203". The side steps say "I'm ready for a poseur to drive me"

BIG difference.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'll be buying a 4x4 to probably only use 2-3 times over the life of the truck, because I still hear about getting my 2wd truck stuck in a flat muddy parking lot at the Richmond gun show about 3 years ago.

And yes I'll be getting the running boards on it as well.

What for? See that's what I'm talking about, all of a sudden people think you have to have them even if they serve no purpose.

How did people get by before the invention of the chrome tube side step?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why didn't you just buy her a car then? Does she actually need an SUV? If some sort of SUV was really necessary for her there are plenty of car based ones that sit lower.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm really interested to know what leads to some peoples automobile purchases like someone buying a truck that they can't even get in or out of.

Easy she had a baby & she wanted something safer & if you saw the way people drive around here you'd agree. I got her a touareg, which is not a high SUV at all.  Also, it puts me at ease that my son & her aren't in some small car.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought ground clearance was usually measured by the lowest hanging point like the differential.

I have them on my Pathfinder  and find them usefull to step up and be able to tie things to my roof rack (yes it gets used a bit) My GF is also a shrimp and she needs them, even for a Pathfinder. I checked underneath and they do not hang lower than the rear diff. so its really not an issue.

I agree many people dont need the crap on their truck or SUV like 4x4 in a city, especially a flat City like down here in FL. Or brushguards on it. I may do that, but the backroad I use sometimes to drive home only has weeds and bushes up to the bumper anyway so I am not going to spend extra $ just for that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#18]
They came stock on my truck (Nissan Frontier) and I think they look cool and provide some protection from rocks ect. I don't use them as steps, I think they are called nerf bars though. Anyways who cares, the guy at work might think why do you need an Ar-15, it's not like you are in the army or what ever other lame excuse anti-gun people use.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I don't have them on my 4x4 because I actually take it trail riding. They'd be ripped off in about five minutes.

Some asshat in a conversion van (w/ running bards) took it out on the Michigan Silver lake sand dunes ORV area.  Due to a monster motor and apparently a posi traction rear end he could actually get it out on the sand.  He took it up the "easy" side of challenge hill and when we crested the very high peeked top of the hill the running boards just SHOT of both sides.  I suppose you had to be there, but it was "pee your pants" funny.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit, you don't know how great it was that we had an SUV when Katrina hit Miami. There was so much crap & trees on the road that a regular car could not make it through some streets. Actually it would have been damn near impossible for us to leave our house after the storm if it wasn't for our SUV.  

No offense intended, buy what you want. I have no problem with people buying ANYTHING they want. Justifying having a SUV because it came in handy once upon a time is up to you. Gas is expensive, to me anyway. SUV's use a lot of gas, and if it only comes in handy once every couple years, it's tough for me to understand how that balances out. It sounds like it may have saved your family in that situation. I'm glad you are all OK. I'm sorry to hear about your house too. My daughter and I will send some prayers your way tonight before bed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I understand sheeple buy them because they want to. I'm trying to figure out why they want to besides the fact that they see other trucks with them and feel left out that they don't have them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but at least the M4 barrels say "I'm ready for an M203". The side steps say "I'm ready for a poseur to drive me"

BIG difference.  

Actually, the M4 barrel says 'it's the closest thing to a 14.5" LIGHTWEIGHT chrome-lined 1-7" barrel I could find AT A DECENT PRICE'.......

[/hijack]

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they can?

Oh it goes pretty deep actually. Everyday I am more and more shocked at what our fellow gun owners say.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they can?

+1

If I want to buy a god damned Freightliner to drive to the store to buy bread and milk, It's my right as an American to do so !
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BIG difference.  

Actually, the M4 barrel says 'it's the closest thing to a 14.5" LIGHTWEIGHT chrome-lined 1-7" barrel I could find AT A DECENT PRICE'.......

[/hijack]

True but I feel most gunners here are just as much posers as the airsofters they say they hate so much.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense intended, buy what you want. I have no problem with people buying ANYTHING they want. Justifying having a SUV because it came in handy once upon a time is up to you. Gas is expensive, to me anyway. SUV's use a lot of gas, and if it only comes in handy once every couple years, it's tough for me to understand how that balances out. It sounds like it may have saved your family in that situation. I'm glad you are all OK. I'm sorry to hear about your house too. My daughter and I will send some prayers your way tonight before bed.

Our house is all good, but thanks for the prayers!   The main reason i got it was because my wife had a baby & that's what we wanted.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

This same logic is frequently used for gun control. Why do you care?

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#29]
After I lifted my truck, my wife requested that I get them.  The first day after I put them on, I went to get out of the truck.  I did as I usually do.  Turn to the side, and hop off the seat to the ground.  Well,  the bars stick out just a little.  Both of my heels caught the bar and I went face first into the pavement.  Wife comes home from work and sees me with a busted up lip and scrapes on my face.  She asked me what the hell happened.  I didn't live that down for a while.

Then about two years later, I got a trip to the ER.  Turns out, I can't get off of a ATV either.  But this time it was a rock that I stepped on and rolled my ankle.  I thought I broke the damn thing, but after the x-rays, I was told that it was a class 3 sprain (?) and that I would have been better off breaking it.

Nine weeks later, and done with physical therapy, I made it a point to make sure of where my feet are.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#30]
 Getting into a Jeep without them is a bitch because Jeeps have more rocker panel under the door.  Lift one up a few inches and it's even more of a pain.  Properly designed side step/rocker panels make it a check of a lot easier to get into your vehicle and they protect from rock crush damage when you are wheelin'.

I am all for owning an SUV in the city....it's a lot safer and little can stop me from going where I want to go.  Curbs, medians, construction, etc.  Try taking a shortcut in a Nissan 280Z or a Ford Mustang or Olds Alero.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Why would someone get upset about what vehicle someone else buys or what they do with it.

That's just odd.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#32]
What is it with gun owners and the "why do you need...": arguments. Have we been listening to the liberals too much?

Like some said, they actually serve  purpose for some of us and if folks want to drive a 4x4 with steps, brush guards, light rack, whatever, fine, its their dime and no different than 99% of the folks here who have super duber wannabe M4 safe queens.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I have rock-sliders not 'steps' although they can be used as steps.
They are to protect the rocker panels of my truck while on severe off-road terrain.  The truck can sit up on them with wheels off the ground.  They are not for show.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#34]
We have a "Cars and Bikes" forum?

Now that's just odd.   (<---I like that phrase.  I should make that my new sig line)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#35]
The step bars are for the girls to get in.  I can see that you haven't had one of those in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I bought my first 4X4 pickup when I was 21. I bought it for no good reason really, other than transportation.  At the time I bought it, I was shopping for a new car. After going to numerous dealerships, I ended up in a Toyota dealer, looking at Corolla's. While there, I starting looking at the small pickup trucks and I was sold on them. I had the truck for 14 years with no troubles. In that time, it was the most useful item I have ever purchased. When my brother bought his house, we gutted the house and used the truck to make endless trips to the garbage dump and endless trips to Home Depot for new materials. When I bought my first house, it was the same thing, we gutted it. Plus the numerous times I bought furniture and other large items. That truck was much more useful than I ever thought it would be and certainly more useful than a Corolla.
I recently sold that truck and purchased another new pickup.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The step bars are for the girls to get in.  I can see that you haven't had one of those in a long time.

I can't believe how many stupid come backs I read here.

You're probably one of those that have them just because other people do.  And apparently you don't read very well either. I said earlier that I bought my girlfriend a full size Bronco 4x4 and she gets in and out of it with no problem and she's only about 5'4". I also have a lifted Jeep Wagoneer and she gets in and out of that just fine too. She thinks the side steps suck too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're probably one of those that have them just because other people do.  And apparently you don't read very well either. I said earlier that I bought my girlfriend a full size Bronco 4x4 and she gets in and out of it with no problem and she's only about 5'4". I also have a lifted Jeep Wagoneer and she gets in and out of that just fine too. She thinks the side steps suck too.

Well then maybe the side steps are for the girls who don't think the side steps suck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then maybe the side steps are for the girls who don't think the side steps suck.

Somehow women used to be able to get in and out of trucks before those stupid side steps became all trendy...and that's my whole point, it's a stupid trend and half the population latches on to it and suddenly they feel they need them too.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somehow women used to be able to get in and out of trucks before those stupid side steps became all trendy...and that's my whole point, it's a stupid trend and half the population latches on to it and suddenly they feel they need them too.

Is power steering a stupid trend?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
You may as well ask "Why do some men have balls?"

Sometimes things are just for show.  

Low...So low.

As for the 4x4/step craze for all the city folk, dont ya know about URBAN SCRAPPIN?  Sheesh, what happens if ya need to jump a curb or run over an empty pop bottle?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Chill out dude....

You drink beer...kinda trendy isn't it
What kind of beer?....kinda trendy isn't it
You drink coffee....kinda trendy isn't it?

You have an AR15?....kinda trendy isn't it
You have an Aimpoint?....kinda trendy isn't it
You shoot XM193?...kinda trendy isn't it?
Got any tats?....kinda trendy isn't it?

My point coming accross?

I have 4wd truck. It came with rails on the side. I'm 6' tall and guess what?...it's not necessary but it's helpful. For my kids, it's definitely helpful. Who are you to judge what motivates other people? Maybe they like the way they look. Looks wouldn't play a role in any of your decision making processes would it?

Just a thought.

Maybe you should try it.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
For my kids, it's definitely helpful.

For me thats the bulk of the reason.

Try watching a 2 1/2 year old try crawling into a F250 with 35"s on it and no steps and see what happens.  
When my dad recently herniated a disk in his back, guess how he got into my truck to go to the doctor?

Bottom line, some people do it for looks,some do it becuase Jo Schmo has em,some actually use them,some leave them on there becuase the rig came with them.

While we are at it, why dont we argue on the usefullness of tits on a boar hog??????????
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#44]
A) Because they help allow people to enter and exit the vehicle.  B)  They prevent people with cars and mini- vans from dinging and scratching my paint.  C)  They came from the factory already on my F-150.  D) Because I CAN!!!!  (popular ARF.com answer)  

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I understand this is a rant for you. I also understand that they may not appear feasible or necessary in your mind for people to (1) put side step bars on a 4X4 and that it is also silly for them to (2) own a 4X4 they may never take off road.

(1) The Explorer had them from the factory and I’m glad they did. My Rottie is 9 years old and can’t jump up in the SUV anymore. So he climbs using the step bars as a starting point. I love the old guy but he weights 130 lbs. I'd rather not have to lift him into the Explorer all the time. Altough on his worse days I do.
They also make it easier to wash the roof on the Explorer and install the XM radio antenna after I bought it.

(2) I don’t go mudding in the Explorer like allot of friends do. The truck spends 95% of its life on dry paved roads. It does snow here a bit and I like having the 4wd. It also rains and sometimes the parking for events is in grassy areas. I had the Explorer two weeks and we went to a local festival that had us parking in the grass. While all “proper in your eyes” city folk with cars and mini vans got stuck I went home. I never heard another word out of my wife about the Explorer compared to the min van she wanted.

My immediate thoughts on arguments I’ve had on my own that you might appreciate.

(1) Would it also be silly to stockpile 10,000 rounds of 5.56mm and purchase and make several AR’s with optics of all varieties and lots of spare magazines and parts because someone doesn’t think it makes sense?

Some may say yes I say no.

(2) Is it silly to make sure the alarm is on and my shotgun is loaded stowed next to the bed every night even though I pray to God I will never need it?

Some may say yes, I say no

When I was younger and first started working in the automotive industry I couldn’t figure out why people had been wasting so much time and money trying to make a racecar out of a Honda Civic. One of the old dogs I work with told me not to figure it out and just sell them parts. He was right. Who am I to decide what is right and wrong? Now I sell lights, wings and nerf bars with the same smile and a harty handshake as if they had been buying turbos or nitrous. You can even pronounce it naws if you want I don't care.

You can question a personal opinion or choice, but you can’t argue against it with any amount of success.

I know. I’ve tried.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Technically, I live in the city(metro Chicago).  My mom has had 2 SUV's for the cargo space and for the safety and capabillity for the snow.  

ETA=My mom's Trailblazer has side boards.  She also had knee surgery.  Easy to get into the truck.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Car based ones have shit for 4WD capabillity.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically, I live in the city(metro Chicago).  My mom has had 2 SUV's for the cargo space and for the safety and capabillity for the snow.  

Well, I guess one of the great things about our society/economy is individuals are in a position to make these kinds of decisions for themselves.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I guess one of the great things about our society/economy is individuals are in a position to make these kinds of decisions for themselves.

Damn straight!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top