Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/26/2006 7:43:37 PM EDT
I had a Ruger Mk. III pistol, but I hated the stripping procedure, even though it has a cool "Luger" look. What I'd like to get is a "Service" type .22 autoloader (like a small 9mm or .45 Service pistol), so I went looking...the SIG Mosquito looked real good, but a cursory Google search turned up loads of negative reviews. Then I found the Walther P22, and I said Bingo!,  but same story...this pistol is crap too. Made mostly of Zinc! So, what's the story? Why can't anyone make a good .22 autopistol? One that is "military grade", not a Civilian crap tart with poor reliability...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I've wondered the same thing. I was really hooked on a cool looking Beretta Neos a while back, but - surprise surprise - I found they had less-than-stellar reviews as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If your Mark III sucks so bad I guess I'll help you out by taking it off your hands.  I'm not paying very much though, because its a shitty .22.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an old High Standard model B. Excellent shooters.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
My Buckmark has run flawlessly so far.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
CZ 75B... then get the Kadet conversion for it.  Two in one!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Because, just like .22 rifles, most folks aren't willing to spend that much money because "it's just a .22".

At the shop I work at, we have a Cooper rifle in .17HMR.  Most customers just laugh at the $1400 price tag...

ETA:  The Cooper came with a test target.  50 yds, three rounds, one ragged hole.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I Like my Mark 3.
I like my G-22 after break in.
I like my IMI mountain eagle.

Maybe you should design and market .22 pistols.  I might buy one.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If your Mark III sucks so bad I guess I'll help you out by taking it off your hands.  I'm not paying very much though, because its a shitty .22.

Someone already did, note that he said "had" instead of "have."

My Browning Buckmark Camper seems to be a decent .22 plinker, but I've neglected it entirely since I got my AR. I never shoot anything else...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#10]
My stainless MK-II is a dream to shoot. The only bad thing about it is reassembly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Maybe you should design and market .22 pistols.  I might buy one.

Bob

I was thinking the same thing. He could be the John Browning of the .22 if it's good enough.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#12]
One thought, and this is just a guess, is that the rimmed case of the .22LR causes design problems that aren't present in most semi-autos.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#14]
www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/rimfire/

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976676323.htm

have no experience nor ever shot one, but its a kimber so it cant be all that bad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My stainless MK-II is a dream to shoot. The only bad thing about it is reassembly.

+1.  The only drawback to that classic piece.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I am finally having the slide release catch spring thingy wear out after 25 years and 10-15k rounds through my S&W Mk.41

(I'm not original owner though which explains age and # of rounds, I only put about 1k through it so far...)

Gun is so accurate it scares me =P

Kimber pistols and Buckmarks are good too.

Stripping and cleaning is soo easy. My only complaint is trying to get the gun lock on =P

I love the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#17]
What the hell is so hard about reassembling a ruger .22?

Once you figure it out, you can have it together in a matter of seconds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I had a Ruger Mk. III pistol, but I hated the stripping procedure, even though it has a cool "Luger" look. What I'd like to get is a "Service" type .22 autoloader (like a small 9mm or .45 Service pistol), so I went looking...the SIG Mosquito looked real good, but a cursory Google search turned up loads of negative reviews. Then I found the Walther P22, and I said Bingo!,  but same story...this pistol is crap too. Made mostly of Zinc! So, what's the story? Why can't anyone make a good .22 autopistol? One that is "military grade", not a Civilian crap tart with poor reliability...

I call BS on that statement. My friend's P22 has been nothing short of flawless since the day he purchased it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call BS on that statement. My friend's P22 has been nothing short of flawless since the day he purchased it.

That's what I found on Google; those are actual owners talking...there was also a lot of difference between older models and new ones, but they still seem to have problems...like someone said, prolly because most won't pay big bucks for a .22, so they aren't that well engineered. Still, ZINC though...Plastic would be cheaper, and certainly sturdy enough for a .22
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Same here... I have the disassembly and reassembly down now... Aint nothing but a thing once you get used to it
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My Buckmark has run flawlessly so far.

Werd.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The answer to your prayers has been made for years.  It is called a Beretta 87 Cheetah (not the 87 Target).  By the way, the Ruger pistols are just difficult to strip when new.  Once they get broken in, they are easy to strip.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

ONCE YOU FIGURE IT OUT.

Was it not akin to a Rube Goldberg nightmare the first time you tried it on your own?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#25]
What about the FN FiveSeveN in 5.7mm? That is about the equivalent of a .22 Magnum, right? Okay for plinking, but what about the cost for ammo?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Good thing you only have to clean it once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#27]
  I have a S&W Model 422. One day I shot a whole 550 count box of crappy Wal-Mart .22 bulk ammo without a single jam. I've never had a jam, but that was the most .22 I've shot in one day. (someone called the police because they thought I was shooting a machine gun. )

I know that's not exactly a torture test, but that thing is just reliable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#28]
so buy a walther or pardini.

Or get a QUALITY .22 conversion kit for a CZ or 1911, if you like those.

Or...shoot your buckmark, because they kick ass.

Or go insanely SBR on a 10/22
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#29]
My Buckmark and Colt Woodsman have been perfect. And both are very accurate.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#30]
There are a couple of really good conversion kits for Glocks as well.  Then you can practice cheap with your same trigger pull and weapon feel.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

hell i can find you a million people who will give you a bad review on a gun, but all they people who know how to work a gun are not on the internet complaining, they are out shooting it every second they get.  

i personaly own the sig mosquito.  when i got the gun, i bought every kind of 22 ammo that we had at work (i work at walmart) and tried it.  and came to the conclusion that remington thunder bolts work the best.  i only shoot those through it now, and dont see that many misfires.  
my brother has the p22 did a couple of quick fixes and after he broke in the gun, it works just as good as mine if not better.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I had a Ruger Mk. III pistol, but I hated the stripping procedure, even though it has a cool "Luger" look.  

If you file down the firing pin it makes it easier to take it apart...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#33]
If a material is perfectley capable of performing the required task at hand, what's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Assembly and disassembly of the Ruger autoloading .22s is about as difficult as tying your shoes.  I bet you wear slip-ons or velcro...............

This one will do what you need:

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm still trying to talk my brother out of his High Standard.  Now that's a tackdriver too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
One thought, and this is just a guess, is that the rimmed case of the .22LR causes design problems that aren't present in most semi-autos.

Plus the ammo is so cheap, $0.02 per round as opposed to $.20
My Buckmark does great with the right ammo. It prefers the round tip vs. the shoulder cone ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Assembly and disassembly of the Ruger autoloading .22s is about as difficult as tying your shoes.  I bet you wear slip-ons or velcro...............

www.gunshopfinder.com/smithandwesson/model41.jpg

Mfgr'sSuggest Retail list is ~$1,200, toss in tax & transfer fees, you're looking probably around $1,300 for a NIB 22LR pistol.  My S&W Mod 41 has shot 10,000 rounds without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.gunshopfinder.com/smithandwesson/model41.jpg

That a model 41?

They still make those?

Wow - that brings back some memories!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Get a S&W Model 41, accurate and reliable.

Shootist
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yep - Meets your requirement for a "Military Grade" .22 auto, and you also end with what is (arguably) the world's best 9MM.

Also, the weight and feel remains essentially the same in either configuration - Virtually no re-familiarization necessary when you switch between calibers.

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#43]
You can find some of the Baretta older pistols like the Jaguar mod 75 ,and cheatas for under 200.00!   They are all steel and shoot pretty good(six inch barrel)!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep - Meets your requirement for a "Military Grade" .22 auto, and you also end with what is (arguably) the world's best 9MM.

Also, the weight and feel remains essentially the same in either configuration - Virtually no re-familiarization necessary when you switch between calibers.

www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main029.png

www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main035.png

damnit...i WASN'T looking for a reason to get a 9mm....now I have one and the 75B and kadet conversion are up there on my list......i hope your happy
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I know the S&W 422 was mentioned - I own a 622.  Best described as reliable as the ammo I feed it.  Find that copper jacketed rounds work better than the lead - seems to like Wildcats and other high velocity .22 rounds.

Still have a Walther P22 thats yet to be fired - wife bought it for herself about 8 months ago and from what I've "heard", coppers for that one too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ONCE YOU FIGURE IT OUT.

Was it not akin to a Rube Goldberg nightmare the first time you tried it on your own?

Nope, read the manual, got it right the first time, and I only got quicker over time.

That is, when I do clean my 22/45, which is around every 3,000 rounds or so, if I feel like it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#47]
good quality 22 pistols are out there but there not cheap.

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
good quality 22 pistols are out there but there not cheap.

please elaborate
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

My MKIII 22/45 is the same way.  I have to get the book out EVERY time to disassemble it, but it's the shit.

I have shot over 5,000 rds through it this year thus far.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#50]
What's wrong with the Rugers besides people don't learn the easy way to reassemble them?  33 years ago when I turned 16 I bought a Ruger Standard Auto, fixed sights, pencil barrel.  It was the first gun I ever bought with my own money.  I've still got it and it still shoots as good as the day it was new.  God only knows how many thousands of rounds have been through it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top