Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 2:51:53 PM EDT
Like the title says, how come they aren't limited to limited terms like most of the government?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
that little constitution thingie
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Cause it feels so good when you end their term.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
So that they are not influenced by the possibility of being voted off the bench by making a decision that, while correct, is widely unpopular.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I think no older than 80. Because I think nobody should have to work past 80.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They can retire any time they want.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can retire any time they want.

yeah, but once you get old enough, you stop making rational decisions, which may include choosing to retire or not
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh I know they can retire when they want, But as past history shows they dont.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#10]

So that they're independant (relatively) from politics.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Because it's the only way to keep liberals kooks there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So that they are not influenced by the possibility of being voted off the bench by making a decision that, while correct, is widely unpopular.

Roger that!  110% correct.

Also prevents them from seting up a cushy consulting job by rendering opinions favorable to prospective employers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#13]
The idea, at least, was to keep them as independent of politics as possible.

AFAIK, most of the government does not have limited terms. The President was limited to two terms by a fairly recent constitutional amendment. I don't know of any other successful attempts to impose term limits on other politicians.

In practice, the Supreme Court is influenced by politics in a similar way to the other branches of government, but they are the slowest to respond to changes in the political landscape. Conservatives have had much greater influence over the other two branches of government for 10-20 years now, but we're just starting to make our presence felt on the Supreme Court. If we hold power for another 10-20 years, the Supreme Court may be a fairly conservative institution.

Now, it's a matter of debate whether it's time for a change in how Supreme Court justices are handled. It may look like a good idea now, but what could happen 50 years from now? What if we get our conservative court, and Liberals start to take back some power? We might be glad to have our Conservative court to moderate their legislation.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
"Why do Supreme Court Justices get lifetime terms?"

Because, the death penalty seemed a little extreme.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So that they're independant (relatively) from politics.

But the whole appointment system is loaded with politics. There has to be a less political way of nominating judges.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What do you do with a Judge suffering from alzheimer's?    

Impeachment by Congress allows the removal of a USSC justice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The President was limited to two terms by a fairly recent constitutional amendment.

Over 60 years ago, not too recent, sir.    
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The President was limited to two terms by a fairly recent constitutional amendment. I don't know of any other successful attempts to impose term limits on other politicians.

BTW: Up until Franklin Roosevelt's term,  all presidents served a maximum of 2 terms a tradition that was started by the Geo. Washington.  It was until later that the U.S. Constitution was amended to actually limiting a person to 2 terms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top