Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 5:16:11 PM EDT
My Wells Fargo VISA cards $2k limit halved itself to less than $1k today. I have always paid my balance in full, the within 5 days it becomes payable online. I need the bigger limit to afford a purchase I made this weekend of over $1k that has not gone though yet...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
One good answer is they hope you'll buy a $1001 TV on black Friday....over your limit!!  Naughty, naughty!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
so they can charge you an over limit fee
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Because you aren't making a profit for them.  Carry a balance, it makes them happy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell, after my divorce I did not use my GM card for over a year.  They dropped my limit from 3K to 300.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My Brooks Brothers card limit got cut in half because I didn't buy enough on it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an American Express card with a $10,000 limit one time.  Randomly one day the limit dropped to $3,500 so I called and asked why.  Woman told me that they gave me that limit "in error" and I now have the correct one.  Told her when I hang up I'd be sending in payment for the balance and when it cleared I'd be calling back to cancel the card.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Just checking, but are you sure the charge just is in the "pending" section. because that has happened to me before.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
UPDATE: All is good. I called and yelled at Fells Wargo, they said the drop wasn't a drop in my limit, but my large charge is pending so my available credit is less obviously. I was confused because the actual transaction isn't posted. But it's all good. They were very helpful and nice.
Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Comment deleted because OP finally called the credit card company which was my first suggestion!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
UPDATE: All is good. I called and yelled at Fells Wargo, they said the drop wasn't a drop in my limit, but my large charge is pending so my available credit is less obviously. I was confused because the actual transaction isn't posted. But it's all good. They were very helpful and nice.
Thanks everyone.

They do that all the time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
whew i was on pins and needles
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone.

Look online in the pending transactions section of your account next time.  It will be in there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone.

Basically you had a pending charge and didn't have free credit.... what you saw was your remaining limit considering the balance after the large purchase.

I'd rather see it that way.  I use mint.com and the app on my android phone.  I can see what the balance is on my CC at a glance, and my CC company is quick to put new charges in a pending status so I see what the balance will be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top