Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 1:58:39 AM EDT
Damn it, I have lately started making oatmeal in the morning and adding in my own flavorings because it's cheap and it fills me up longer but I'll be damned If I can make it without it turning into a pasty gruel like substance. When my mom made it when I was a kid it was never like this and she used the same oatmeal I am, the 1 minute quick oats. What the fuck am I doing wrong, this isn't rocket science for God's sake.....

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean its not supposed to be a pasty gruel?

Get some grits...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Instead of using hot water, use warm milk.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh man, don't use the one-minute oat meal, get the kind that you have to cook. It only takes like 5 minutes. The 1-minute variety is pretty much pre-cooked for the people that are in a hurry. Yuck!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I love oatmeal and have it down to a science.

I use Quaker oats in the big cardboard tube.  Pour about a cup of oats in a bowl.  Add enough skim milk to just about cover everything.  Add a tablespoon or two of brown sugar.  Nuke for about 2 minutes.  Stir and let set for a minute or two.

MMM MMM GOOOOOD!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:15:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:18:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the old fashioned oats instead of the quick oats.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:29:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Milk + a lil' condensed milk should = goodness
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:34:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Old fashioned oats take 2:30 in the microwave as compaired to 1:30 for quick oats, and they taste much better.  Use 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup water, a pinch of salt.  After cooking, flavor with cinnamon, jam, fruit, etc.  Try and go easy on the sugar.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Use Quaker Oats, cook it on the stove (not in the microwave), and cook it uncovered. If you cover it, it gets mushy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:38:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the jam/preserves thing myself. I also have a little container of pre-mixed cinnamon sugar..... Yum.... I will go buy some more, differant oats and milk and use the minute oats for some no-bake cookies.
Thanks guys...
S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:40:01 AM EDT
[#11]
This is my specialty. Basically, you are over cooking it.
First advice, forget the 1 min. stuff. Use original rolled oats.
Get the water to boil (I usually add a little brown sugar). Add the oats. Bring back to boil. Cover with a tight or heavy lid and turn heat OFF. Let the oats steep in the hot water.
2 min to boil, 30 sec - 1 min to return to boil, 5 min to steep. The trick is getting the water/oats proportions correct. If first atempt is too dry, start with more water. If runny, start with less.
I often add raisins, other dried fruit, etc before I put the lid on. Yummy.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:48:11 AM EDT
[#12]
call me lazy but I really dont wanna boil water. You're talking to a guy who finished off a bag of chips last night instead of cooking.....

S.O.

Edited for an obvious spelling error...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you have big feet?

Large hands?

A penis?

NO WIFE???

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#14]
No I'm married but wifey was next door and I wanted to hurry up and eat, shower and sleep.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I work nights so I can avoid breakfast
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:03:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
call me lazy but I really dont wanna boil water. Your talking to a guy who finished off a bag of chips last night instead of cooking.....

S.O.

Its your heart, those chips are cardiac food, ie eating it will give you a cardiac arrest, whereas oatmeal is good for the heart. You should also remember, there are many men who are world-class chefs.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#17]

No I'm married but wifey was next door and I wanted to hurry up and eat, shower and sleep.

S.O.

Huh?

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:51:46 AM EDT
[#18]
You never know, the rocket scientists may do this very thing to see how the day is going to come out. If they CAN make oatmeal, then they can build rockets. Ask your mom how to do it. I had some other smart ass comments but I'm still trying to wake up.Take care.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

S.O.

Huh?

Kharn

We have an elderly neighbor that just got back from the hospital, she goes over a couple times day to see how he's doing and if he needs anything, nice old guy, a 2 time purple heart recipient from teh european theater in WWII.

I work about 70 hours a week and spend another 10-15 commuting, I only have time to shower, eat and get 4-5 hours of sleep. During the week, if I cant nuke it, pour milk on it or rip it open I aint got time for it.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
It sounds like you're over-cooking it or using too high heat.

If I recall, the Quaker Oats box says something about cooking it over low heat until it just begins to boil, and then set the pan off to the side and let sit until it thickens.

It's been a while since I made any, but I remember screwing it up, too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey don't feel bad - I don't even know what oatmeal IS   -- sounds like something you should be feeding to horses, not people

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top