Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 2:21:34 PM EDT
Local dealer tells me he is going to have to charge sales tax on a transfer, I didnt feel like arguing with him but just said "I guess amazon.com and all the other major online vendors must be wrong then" and just left.  How can people be so misinformed?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
no one else knows dumb people?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe he has a plan!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Maybe he has a plan!

yeah to steal my money
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Your the one who gave him more money then you had to, whos the dumb one now?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I said I just left, I didnt do the transfer because of how dumb he was
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I said I just left, I didnt do the transfer because of how dumb he was

Hmm guess the dumb one is me since I didn't read it correctly
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your the one who gave him more money then you had to, whos the dumb one now? hr

The guy behind the counter.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Who's more foolish?
The Fool, or the one who follows?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My buddy's dad owns a gun shop in Washington State. He wasn't charging tax on FFL transfers, got busted by the state IRS for it, and almost lost his business. Apparently in WA you owe tax to the state based on the value of the weapon, just like a sale, so he has to pass that on to his customers.

Stupid as hell, but it's not necessarily the dealer's fault.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
A tax on the value of the transferred item, or tax on the $20 or so he charges to perform the service of transferring?  The former would depend on individual state law, the latter on how the guy does his own accounting.  

Amazon and other online retailers have a different set of hoops to jump through.  There is also the practical matter of what the tax code says, vs how it is enforced.  You buying a single small item from an online retailer is probably not worth the state's time (yet, wait until the relative newness of e-commerce wears off, the local tax take falls too much, and database software improves), large items might not be.   Cars, boats, firearms, etc all have a lot of accompanying paperwork that would make it easier to cross-reference the tax information.  Some of the anti-gun groups target any technical errors in complying with law to advance their agenda - I found a few while googling this topic.

This neatly falls under the topic that tax code is hopelessly complex, and those like the Kerrys can afford an army of accountants and lawyers to run rings around the po' folk.

http://www.myflorida.com/dor/consumer/

Here in Colorado, except in Denver which is a special screwup, we dilligently pay the state a use tax on out-of-state purchases except in the instance where merchandise happens to fall into a lake
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Tax on the gun and he has no buisness taking tax, if anything it would be up to me to pay the tax if there was one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top