Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2017 2:14:44 AM EDT
What I mean is, when it is a sunny day outside, everything looks, idk, warmish, and pleasant.  But when I've seen/used 5000k+ lighting it has a noticeable artificial blue tint and it looks harsh and fake.  It bothers my eyes after a while a I just can't get used to it.  The 3500k "bright white" is much more pleasant and seems closer to genuine daylight color than the warmer or colder bulbs.  So what's up with that Arfcom?  If sunlight is like 6000k or even 10,000k why does everything outside look so normal instead of really, really blue?  I don't understand.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Racism.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Another another lightbulb thread? Awesome.

During the day, turn your inside lights on and compare to the light bleeding through the windows.

Obviously the exact color temperature can vary quite a bit, and the best way to figure out exactly what temperature your local environment is, is with the use of a light meter.

The problem you're probably experiencing is shitty LED Bulbs with a low CRI.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another another lightbulb thread? Awesome.

During the day, turn your inside lights on and compare to the light bleeding through the windows.

Obviously the exact color temperature can vary quite a bit, and the best way to figure out exactly what temperature your local environment is, is with the use of a light meter.

The problem you're probably experiencing is shitty LED Bulbs with a low CRI.
View Quote
Light is bad. And Sun is evil. LED's are they way to go.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:25:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Light is bad. And Sun is evil. LED's are they way to go.
View Quote
LED's are the shit. This is what I spent the last 48 hours doing. Not pictures are about another 20 boxes, and a whole bunch of god awful CFL's that have already been recycled.

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LED's are the shit. This is what I spent the last 48 hours doing. Not pictures are about another 20 boxes, and a whole bunch of god awful CFL's that have already been recycled.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/275845/IMG-4183-227982.jpg
View Quote
I'd like to know if you notice a change in your power bill/
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#6]
That "blue washed out" look isn't the color temperature, it's the 65 CRI of that bulb.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:45:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/275845/IMG-4183-227982.jpg
View Quote
On my patio I have a bright ass LED flood light. Not sure what it is since I have had it several years yet that fucker is bright. Had my hall light go out and put a 4w LED equivalent of 50W incandescent bulb and should have gone for a lower one. Damn thing is brighter that I like at 5am
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd like to know if you notice a change in your power bill/
View Quote
There should be a pretty significant change, albeit it's not my house. Bought and changed every bulb inside and out for a family member.

In most cases, the bulbs will be using about 1/5-1/6 of the energy as before. Not only that, but the Reveal series produce some really high quality light, and are usually brighter than the incandescent.

I still need to add up how much bulbs cost all together, but they should pay for themselves in around two years according to my math.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I just had a bulb go out in a 3-bulb fixture in the bathroom.  We've got some LED bulbs laying around, as we're swapping them out when the old bulbs die, so I decided to replace all three.  Apparently the old ones were 60-watt incandescents, and the new ones are 100-watt equivalent LEDs with a high-ish color temp.  Looks like a fucking operating room in there now.  Need to pick up some 60s, I guess.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:57:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That "blue washed out" look isn't the color temperature, it's the 65 CRI of that bulb.
View Quote
Yup.

You'll notice most LED bulbs don't have their CRI printed on the box. There's a reason for that, most suck.

The color temp of sunlight (K/Kelvin) also changes throughout the day, think about noontime sun vs. evening sun.

I'm a light snob and can't stand anything "blue", which to my eyes is above 5K. 4000K-4500K is the sweet spot for me, below is yellow above starts into the blue.

4K LED bulbs with High CRI aren't easily available, but you can find them on the web. Hopefully that changes as Cree and Nichia's newest line of emitters are available in High CRI variants in a very wide spectrum.

ETA: Sorry, didn't really answer your question, see below.

Here's a graphic of the change in sunlight spectrum, sunlight varies from 2000K-6500K. Also, the reason you prefer "warm" light has to do with our biology, warm light (more yellow) is seen as relaxing while cooler (more blue) keeps us more awake or alert.

Top Top