Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2015 12:39:31 AM EDT
Long story short I used to be a really good shot in my early twenties, but my eyesight has deteriorated over the years (I'm 38). I was evaluated for LASIK today. I'm right eye dominant and my prescription in that eye is -6.25 with severe astigmatism. I was cleared to procede and will probably have it done in January. I know that I will need readers at some point and that doesn't bother me.

Any good, bad, ugly from members that have done it?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My prescription is only -1.25 -.75 but red dots don't come in clear in both eyes but there is only an astigmatism in one eye. Go figure. Idk if LASIK would help me but my shit is weird.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Ni, lwdik dufnt wxtk fpr mw!
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't remember what my prescription was but it was pretty bad and had a hard time functionung without my glasses. I had 20-20 after getting out of the chair and 20-15 a week later. The numbers don't tell everything, I don't just see fields of grass, I see blades of grass..... .Night vision has at doubled in clarity at minimum...
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I had it done. It is nice to not wear glasses, or inserts, under my shooting glasses.

It's also nice to walk in the rain and be able to look around.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#5]
any shotgunners/ clay shooters care to weigh in? I really want to have it done. I'm about -2.75/-1.5 with some astigmatism
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I had it done. For me it was very well worth it.

ETA: In before the sroey of the Arfcommer that had bad Lasix and ended up killing himself.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]
What did you guys pay?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:08:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
any shotgunners/ clay shooters care to weigh in? I really want to have it done. I'm about -2.75/-1.5 with some astigmatism
View Quote

Not so much a clay shooter but I've shot thousands of birds training bird dogs over 27 years. Yes is was much easier.

Bullseye competitor, much easier.

Tactical pistol and rifle, much easier.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#9]
20/10 after it was all said and done so yes it helped. Only issue I see is that when looking through a scope and close my left eye my right eye gets tired quickly and left eye will be slightly blurry for a couple minutes. Could be that I am left eye dominant yet shoot with my right eye.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:08:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What did you guys pay?
View Quote
15 years ago, $3500 after VSP discount. Original price was $5k.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:10:03 AM EDT
[#11]
LASIK was awesome.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:12:00 AM EDT
[#12]
In 2005 I was 20/100 left eye and worse in my right but I don't recall the numbers.  Required glasses to drive, perfect vision up close, this was near sightedness (far sight deficient).  After custom wave front LASIK which was new at the time, also, I was probably one of the last people to actually have my corneas cut by a blade, at that Doctor anyway, I was and remain today 20/20 right eye, 20/15 left eye.

It helped me phenomonally shooting.  I could not shoot iron sights at any range, my glasses made getting a sight picture difficult, handgun was just a non-starter outside of 7 yards.

I was 26, now 36, and I'm starting to have trouble late in the day changing focal points, which is basically my cornea getting tired or my lens getting stiffer with age, I'm fine 90% of the day but definitely see myself needing "readers" in the next 10 years or so.

It cost me $5,000 and it was the best money I've ever spent on healthcare.  I've never regretted doing it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can't remember what my prescription was but it was pretty bad and had a hard time functionung without my glasses. I had 20-20 after getting out of the chair and 20-15 a week later. The numbers don't tell everything, I don't just see fields of grass, I see blades of grass..... .Night vision has at doubled in clarity at minimum...
View Quote

How old were you when you had it done?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Look into PRK instead of Lasik. Either will improve your sight if you use a reputable provider. PRK has a longer recovery but no corneal flap.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Look into PRK instead of Lasik. Either will improve your sight if you use a reputable provider. PRK has a longer recovery but no corneal flap.
View Quote

I understand why the military preferred PRK (only allowed PRK?) but in ten years having a corneal flap has never been an issue for me.  I remember being real worried about it, my Dr. literally told me "try not to rub your eyes any more" which is impossible for me, I rub the ever living shit out of them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:18:59 AM EDT
[#16]
tagged for info
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:21:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I understand why the military preferred PRK (only allowed PRK?) but in ten years having a corneal flap has never been an issue for me.  I remember being real worried about it, my Dr. literally told me "try not to rub your eyes any more" which is impossible for me, I rub the ever living shit out of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard the flap eventually heals to 99% of original, after some time period.  Maybe 1 year.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've heard the flap eventually heals to 99% of original, after some time period.  Maybe 1 year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see how.  There's literally zero vascularization in the cornea to promote healing.  I think it knits some, but 99% I would question.  It just doesn't make sense.  If corneas could heal that well, then so would lumbar discs and meniscus tears.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:24:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lady in the waiting room that had her corneal flap come off wasn't happy. I was glad they could not do Lasik after seeing that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:25:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

35 years old
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm getting bladeless LASIK done tomorrow at 1pm.

Cost is $3790

Find a doctor that does their own pre-op, surgery, and all the follow ups.

I'm going to end up using 4 kinds of eye drops for a week. Then after a week it drops down to 2 as needed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm a week and half into recovery from having PRK done.  I was told up front about the longer recovery and I'm okay with it.  It took about a solid week before I could drive.  I'm better than before but not great yet.  I guess it takes about 4-6 months for your vision to be fully recovered.   I went this route because I didn't want the flap from LASIK.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I had lasik done in 2009 I believe. Quality of life is so much better.

As far as shooting, yes it has been easier. Almost in every aspect.

My eyes do get dry and my right eye will get tired faster and start to get blurry towards the end of the day, but it was much much much worse than my left was before the surgery.

Do it. You will be happier.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I was 26 when I had LASIK done and I'm now the stout age of 28.  Best thing I have ever done- bar none, completely changed my life.  My prescription was -7.25 in each eye, couldn't see jack shit without glasses or contacts.  It's so nice to just wake up in the morning and be able to see.  Total cost was $4200 for the best practice in the state, although I did have to drive a good bit to get there and back.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:33:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I had all laser lasik.  Loved it.

It does help a lot with shooting, before I was having to use glasses especially with red dots and stuff.

Also there's the inherent value of always being able to see CLEARLY whether I had glasses or not in any self defense situation.

Best glass you can buy is improving your own eyes!

ETA: It made me a more perfect human, settle that idea out with your god. 20/15 vision
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top