Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 9:18:47 AM EST
I'm looking for a model that retails for under $500 brand-new (or quite a bit less used) - reliability is more important than high pressure or flow rate.

Looks like Ex-Cel/DeVilbiss/Porter-Cable, Generac and Karcher make their own pump heads, everyone else seems to install a generic model. The few online opinions seem to run the whole gamut - some folks love a particular brand, others have horror stories to tell (leaking pump seals, blown pump housings, not-so-reliable Honda engines, etc.).

Anyone have a model that they love (or hate)?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:12:23 AM EST
I bought a Ex-Cel or DeVilbiss from Home Depot. Think it work for 3 years ,light use, then the pump went out. The last year the pump was sticking. Took the pump apart and a couple screws broke. I wouldn't buy another cheap HD presser washers again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:31:43 AM EST
I bought a Karcher used, from a neighbor two years ago for $150.00. It works really well and it's been reliable, except for the ruptured gas tank, which was Briggs and Stratton's fault. The crappy plactic tank split at the seam but B&S replaced it free. There had been a recall that I found out about when I went to the small engine repair shop to buy the new tank.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:55:58 AM EST

tagged for reference

(because the one I bought at Sears is a worthless POS)
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:06:37 AM EST

Learn how to rebuild them.

Even the best industrial ones quit pumping.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:08:29 AM EST
I'm not sure where to start on rebuilding them. I went to home depot and looked for a "rebuild your old pressure washer" book but couldn't fine one

are they really complicated?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:18:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
are they really complicated?

Nope. Most of what you need to know should be in the owners manual. (parts list, ect)

Mostly piston seals,packings,check valves.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:36:44 PM EST
I'm not sure that some of the cheapies are even designed to be rebuilt. Not much point in using a 'throwaway' engine if you're not going to also use a 'throwaway' pump...

I talked to a fellow at Cam-Spray (maker of high-end models for industrial applications) who says that some of the cheapest pumps aren't good for more than approximately 50 hours – and that's assuming nothing breaks prematurely.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:19:57 PM EST
One last bump for the Night Crew...
Top Top