Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 4:30:46 PM EDT
I saw this on Kerry's website. Is this Bob Marshall guy living on Alpha Centauri, smoking crack, or is he just another Elmer Fudd? JFK the Lesser as friend to the gunowner? What a moron....

www.johnkerry.com/pressroom/news/news_2004_0425.html
Sportsmen will have a say in this campaign
Times-Picayune

by Bob Marshall

New Orleans, LA - It was Wednesday morning, and Sen. John Kerry was calling. He had an important point he wanted to make to hunters and anglers: "I think I do a better job of fighting for the rights of sportsmen than George Bush does," Kerry said.

Over the next 20 minutes the Democrats' presumptive presidential nominee gave detailed explanations for that claim based on now-familiar themes: He is a life-long hunter and angler, he has never voted to take away hunters' gun rights and -- most important -- he is much stronger on environmental protection, without which sportsmen would have little fish and game to pursue.

By the time Kerry had to get back on his campaign plane, I knew the interview revealed good news for sportsmen. Not because of the knowledge and passion Kerry displayed when discussing the issues; the man didn't win three terms to the U.S. Senate without being a convincing campaigner. Instead, it was the fact that he bothered to call at all.

Sportsmen and their issues may be back in play during a presidential election for the first time in decades. And that can only be good news for the future of fish and wildlife, and all other things that depend on a clean environment.

It was no accident that Kerry chose to wrap this Louisiana visit around sportsmen's environmental issues -- including a tour of Shell Beach's eroded marshes and a lunch with local anglers. The Democrat's photo-op came just two weeks after Bush had a raft of sportsmen's groups out to his Texas spread for a similar publicity event.

The sudden prominence of the hook-and-bullet crowd in this election is a direct result of what has been a serious revolt over the last year within the ranks of a community Republicans have taken for granted for more than 30 years. The sporting culture had long been suspicious of mainstream environmental groups -- "tree-huggers and granola crunchers" -- because they were championed by liberal politicians. To most sportsmen, "liberal" meant anti-gun, and anti-gun meant anti-hunter. So any administration could always count on the catch-and-kill folks to be in their column -- or at least silent -- when they squared off with environmental groups.

The Bush Administration may have changed that. In its zeal to roll back environmental policies that have protected fish and wildlife habitat for a generation, this administration clearly misjudged today's educated sportsmen. Hunters and anglers have been outraged as oil and gas wells have spread across previously protected forests and prairies, as waterfowl wetlands have had Clean Water Act protections stripped, as blue-ribbon trout streams have been placed in the path of logging operations.

So when the presidential season got underway, the unthinkable happened. Not only have sportsmen been openly bolting the president, there are now "Sportsmen for Kerry" groups.

It's hard to overstate the importance of this change to the future of public hunting and fishing -- and the general health of our environment. For 50 years the two greatest forces in American conservation have been sportsmen and environmental groups. Hunters and anglers put up most of the money that paid for government programs rebuilding fish and wildlife populations, while the green groups worked in Washington to provide essential federal protections for the needed habitat.

But despite their obvious common interests, the two groups seldom worked together, instead buying into stereotypes that insisted they were mutual enemies, not brothers in arms. That friction was important to the moneyed interests who oppose tough environmental regulations and even the idea of public lands as part of a public trust. Their worst nightmare always has been the possibility of environmental-sportsmen. If the guys in the hunter-orange hats suddenly began thinking green, politicians they could always count on might have to start listening to the other side.

Now that could be happening.

The first sign came late last year when the president agreed to sit down with sportsmen's groups to discuss his administration's assault on the Clean Water Act. By the end of the session he agreed to restore some protections to waterfowl wetlands. The reviews were good enough on that episode for Bush to follow up with the recent meeting at his ranch. And now we have his challenger reaching out to sportsmen -- and sportsmen responding.

The ideal outcome of this would be for sportsmen to recognize that mainstream environmental groups have been waging their battles for many years -- but they can no longer do it alone. If hunters and fishers take that step -- if the "catch-and-killers" admit they have as much at stake in the battles over clean air and clean water as the "granola-crunchers" -- then fish and wildlife issues will cease being a partisan issue.

And that would be good news for hunters and anglers -- and all other living things on this planet.

ETA: This demands Photoshop!

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sucks that I have to tolerate such crap.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea Kerry comes from such a glowing example of the Second Amendment !!! The Peoples Republic of Massholio!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yea Kerry comes from such a glowing example of the Second Amendment !!! The Peoples Republic of Massholio!!!

As somebody from MA, I dig where you're coming from. But somebody from Louisiana? WTF??
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The Picayunne has always been partial to democrats. The southern democrat of my fathers day is long gone for the most part. John Breaux is close to being conservative but I see him voting liberal from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as hunters can keep their shotguns and have the ability to keep scopes on their hunting rifles, gun owners will be split. If they vote for Kerry, and he wins it will be too late. Kerry WILL ban all hi power rifle ammo, will deem hunting rifles with hi powered scopes as "sniper rifles" and will try to ban all hi caps over 5 rounds, since hunters won't need anything over 5 rounds anyway. I can't believe people would be THAT stupid to listen to Kerry, but those same people probably voted to keep Klinton in a second term as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
John Breaux always voted antigun.  And was often seen standing behind Clinton at news conferences.   They appeared to be joined at the hip.

And is this the same John Kerry, sportsman supreme, that hunts deer "by taking my double barrel 12 ga out in the woods and crawling around on my belly?"
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I refuse to believe that anyone would be stupid enough to use this article for anything but wiping their posterior.  The whole time I'm reading this I have a mental image of a robot short circuiting with sparks flying out of it's robotic brain.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#8]
You've got to realize where he is coming from. New Orleans. The liberal armpit of Louisiana.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted from DOA

I can't believe people would be THAT stupid to listen to Kerry

Ah, but they are!  And that's why we have problems in this country.  He's promising the world...

I'm still trying to understand how a man worth billions can say with a straight face that he feels and understands the plight of the common man.

Don't buy into his rhetoric, it's poison.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You've got to realize where he is coming from. New Orleans. The liberal armpit of Louisiana.

+1
I'm originally from Louisiana and can testify that the depths of depravity of Louisiana politics can not be fully explained in the limited space that is available on one post. All the oil & gas pumped from Louisiana would not keep Diogenes lamp lit long enough to find an honest Louisiana politician.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Please do not confuse the rest of the people of Louisiana with New Orleans, thats a whole other country
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top