Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2011 1:37:40 PM EDT
I know, I know - many never buy them and take their chances.  I just bought a Hyundai Sonata that I plan on keeping for as long as I can drive it.  I drive under 10k a year.  The standard bumper-to-bumper is 5 years but the extended warranty takes that to 10 years with a $100 deductible after the first 5 years ($0 for the first 5).  It also covers pain, interior, leather, and tires and wheels (road hazard, bent rims, etc.)

I almost didn't buy it, but when I got to thinking about inflation and my belief that inflation will be going up a LOT over the next 10 years, it sort of made sense to me.  A repair that right now would cost $500 might cost $800 or more in 10 years.  But I'm not going to have to pay more than $100 10 years from now due to the deductible.

I guess I figured for a small amount now I lock in "no worry" for me and the wife for the next 10 years.

I suppose I could have taken the money I spent for it and socked it away in a "hands off" account that earns less than 1% and is taxed and hope it would cover any future repairs.  I still can since I can cancel the warranty within the next 30-60 days.

Thoughts and opinions always welcome.

PS - I'm NOT mechanically inclined and don't do my own car repairs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Newer Hyundais are reliable enough that you aren't exactly crazy for just sticking the money in the bank, although things do happen.  If you were buying a Range Rover, I'd tell you to take the service contract.

That being said, if you do decide to buy the contract, don't cheap out.  Get either the Hyundai service contract, or one of the biggest of the big aftermarket providers like EasyCare or Allstate.  Otherwise, you'll have far too many headaches the first time you have a claim.  Most of the service contract outfits that sell direct to consumers are somewhere between crap and a deliberate scam.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't buy a warranty.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one ($600) from Dodge/Warrentech and it saved me $3,000. It covered big components, electronics, etc. etc. and some labor

Fixed a fuel pump, automatic window motor, bad wiring, and a radiator. My experience made it worth it, so YMMV. Nowadays, if you get hit with a bill, it's going to be big bucks. It doesn't seem like the little things cost little money, anymore.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
They rarely pay off, otherwise the companies would stop selling them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
If you buy one, get it from the manufacturer: Hyundai Motor Americas(?).  If you have a problem, the dealership will handle everything.  
Don't waste your money on anything else.  

The dealer will try to sell you an extended warranty from someone else.  Don't buy it.  
They make more money from warranties and financing than cars.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know, I know - many never buy them and take their chances.  I just bought a Hyundai Sonata that I plan on keeping for as long as I can drive it.  I drive under 10k a year.  The standard bumper-to-bumper is 5 years but the extended warranty takes that to 10 years with a $100 deductible after the first 5 years ($0 for the first 5).  It also covers pain, interior, leather, and tires and wheels (road hazard, bent rims, etc.)

I almost didn't buy it, but when I got to thinking about inflation and my belief that inflation will be going up a LOT over the next 10 years, it sort of made sense to me.  A repair that right now would cost $500 might cost $800 or more in 10 years.  But I'm not going to have to pay more than $100 10 years from now due to the deductible.

I guess I figured for a small amount now I lock in "no worry" for me and the wife for the next 10 years.

I suppose I could have taken the money I spent for it and socked it away in a "hands off" account that earns less than 1% and is taxed and hope it would cover any future repairs.  I still can since I can cancel the warranty within the next 30-60 days.

Thoughts and opinions always welcome.

PS - I'm NOT mechanically inclined and don't do my own car repairs.

Sounds like a good deal if they include that too.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
It's like all insurance policies. They're gambling you'll never need it and you're gambling that you will need it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont get the warranty any longer.
When I was younger I always opted for it because I beat on my vehicles and usually got repairs done under the warranty. The last 3 vehicles I've had never needed a single major repair...just the usual consumable stuff like brake pads, tires, etc. Most vehicles come with ridiculously long term drivetrain factory warranties anyway...the transmission and engine are going to be the big price tag items...and that stuff is usually covered well into the life of the vehicle.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well yes that's the problem. IF you need to have a maor -expensive- out of warrenty repair you are set. Odds are with the house as always. That said I did it when I got a new truck back in '07.
Got 50k on it, not planig on trading or selling.
Had what seemed like minor problems, dealer estimates rack up almost 2k mostly labor. They were disapoint whenI had to remind them I bought their service etended warrenty back in '07, I made a copy and watched them do a read and it weep. " ah this is not.err oh this is GM oh no charge. sweet!
. I paid  $3100. got $1100 to go to even out , `6yrs and ~49k mi left. I'm good with the "gamble" I made.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I did it helps
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
You cannot pay me enough to use/keep one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I got an extension too.  10 years / 100K miles, but I don't think I have a deductible.

I got an extension on a Dodge Intrepid years ago.  The tranny went a little funny.  Took it in, they said they had to replace the transmission... to the tune of $2800, or a third of what I paid for the car.  Warranty handled it, and I've been a believer since.

TVs, same deal.  I bought a 50" RPTV Toshiba in 2001, IIRC  Almost five years later, I called about some problem.  They couldn't fix it, so I got a brand new Samsung DLP TV... and another warranty.  Fast-forward three more years, called about a problem with it... and they couldn't fix it, and wrote me a check for over $1300 (the invoice price of the TV)  I lived with the problem at that point until I sold that TV to move.  Bought a Dynex 46" LCD for $500... and got the extended warranty  We'll see...
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I have purchased an extended contract on every car I could.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I have bought them numerous times and have always used them and

saved money in the long run. But keep in mind that I kept the vehicle

for more than 5 or six years. If you are planning on owning it for 10

years I would say it could be a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They do not sell these policies because they lose money on them.

They are very profitable for the car companies.  I wonder why?

Set up an Emergency Fund and don't waste money on such a policy.

they sell them because the Privileged American will trade the car in before the normal warranty runs out.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought one for the wife's car last year.  The big thing I figure it is insurance against is the damn electronic parts.  I can handle a lot of the mechanical stuff but the price of the components is what I got the insurance for.  One part goes bad and it pays for itself.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I did, and the only thing that broke on my car was an 02 sensor. I have had it 6 years now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Route 66
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Hyundai you really don't need one. My wifes was 9 years old and we brought it in and got a fix no questions asked.

I usually get them on some used cars if the price is right. Mine was a few hundred bucks for 6 years of bumper to bumper warranty. Well worth it IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Got one ( non dealer warranty ) for the Boxster when we got it,  when it hit 70k and needed the timing belt service,  took it to Porsche and told them to go over it with a fine tooth comb and replace anything that it would cover plus the TB service ( that we would be paying for )  total bill was over 7k,  our end was 1100.  They found,  busted engine mounts,  leaking oil return tubes,  split coolant res,  bad maf ( had CEL ) and a few other things.  I think it was a good deal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's like going to Vegas - Even though the odds are stacked heavily in favor of the house, every schmuck still thinks that somehow, he will be the one that doesn't lose money on the trip.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought one for my used Dakota.  The heater core started leaking so I took it to the dealer for repair only to find out that it wasn't covered.    I will never buy one again.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner!!! In all seriousness this is the simple truth. The fact is most cars these days are good for at least a 100k miles (and usually much more) with nothing more then oil changes, a new set of tires and thats about it. Maybe a pair of break pads.  These extended warranties are a big time money maker for the car companies. Especially the ones that include a deductible. I got one on my last vehicle because I had a buddy who worked at a car dealership and he worked it in as part of the deal, basically for free. Guess what, I never needed it and didn't have to do any repairs until about 20k after it ran out.

The car companies have highly qualified statisticians on the payroll that analyze maintenance data on each and every model and use the data from the analysis to structure their extended warranty programs. The simple fact is that the programs are created to ensure that they take in more money in the sale of the policies then they spend fixing vehicles. Like the above poster said, they don't make money by giving away free maintenance.

Take the money you would have spent on the policy, and put it into investments/savings. You'll be better off.

adrock1
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner!!! In all seriousness this is the simple truth. The fact is most cars these days are good for at least a 100k miles (and usually much more) with nothing more then oil changes, a new set of tires and thats about it. Maybe a pair of break pads.  These extended warranties are a big time money maker for the car companies. Especially the ones that include a deductible. I got one on my last vehicle because I had a buddy who worked at a car dealership and he worked it in as part of the deal, basically for free. Guess what, I never needed it and didn't have to do any repairs until about 20k after it ran out.

The car companies have highly qualified statisticians on the payroll that analyze maintenance data on each and every model and use the data from the analysis to structure their extended warranty programs. The simple fact is that the programs are created to ensure that they take in more money in the sale of the policies then they spend fixing vehicles. Like the above poster said, they don't make money by giving away free maintenance.

Take the money you would have spent on the policy, and put it into investments/savings. You'll be better off.

adrock1

I disagree with that, cars commonly need repairs before 100k miles. Right now

I have a 2005 Nissan Armada with 48k miles that has a leaking power steering hose. The

dealer wants 500 to replace it. This includes parts and labor. I can get the part for 130.00

and will do it myself. Many people do not know how to do repair like this and would

need to pay the mechanic. MY 2005 jeep liberty needed a camshaft position sensor

and I replaced it myself. A dealer would have charged at least 200 to do it and it

cost me 30.00

If you keep a vehicle for more than 5 years the odds are much greater that you

would use the extended warranty.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Most warranties are for crap like power trains, etc.  Most stuff that goes wrong will fall outside that concise list of things covered.

Shady business, shady ethics, shady everything.  Shame that "buyer beware" is an assumed state of mind before you even drive onto the parking lot.  Only way to feel GOOD about buying a vehicle from a dealership is to have worked for one so you know how they operate.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you keep a vehicle for more than 5 years the odds are much greater that you would use the extended warranty.

You pay more for a warranty that lasts longer - and "Using" the warranty isn't the same thing as "breaking even" on the cost of the warranty.

Warranty companies know the exact odds that they'll pay out more than they take in. In no case are the odds EVER stacked in the customer's favor, regardless of how long the vehicle is owned.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I plan to buy a warranty, simply because a replacement transmission is about $4k for my next vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Well this was back in 1994.  I bought a new Dodge truck and I noticed a few times the transmision shifted very late on a very cold moring.  Just the first to second shift on the first time, after that no problem.  Dodge had sent me an offer for the extended warrenty.  I bought it and used it more than I can remember.  Funny how other posters that bought one and used used it often drove a Dodge also.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well yes that's the problem. IF you need to have a maor -expensive- out of warrenty repair you are set. Odds are with the house as always. That said I did it when I got a new truck back in '07.
Got 50k on it, not planig on trading or selling.
Had what seemed like minor problems, dealer estimates rack up almost 2k mostly labor. They were disapoint whenI had to remind them I bought their service etended warrenty back in '07, I made a copy and watched them do a read and it weep. " ah this is not.err oh this is GM oh no charge. sweet!
. I paid  $3100. got $1100 to go to even out , `6yrs and ~49k mi left. I'm good with the "gamble" I made.

Why didn't the original warranty cover the repair?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I used to but don't bother now.  Fucking dealerships will usually try to find a way to penny ante you and deny coverage on broken stuff.  Most newer cars have 100k drivetrain warranties now, which are IMO the bigger and more expensive repairs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I plan to buy a warranty, simply because a replacement transmission is about $4k for my next vehicle.

You are already planning on replacing the transmission and you haven't bought the vehicle yet? Maybe you should be looking at something else.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought one for my crown vic and it sure as fuck paid off when my headlights just started turning off at night when they felt like it.   It only took one problem to cover the cost of my warranty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought one on a former vehicle and I broke even (Dodge Grand Caravan).
My father, who is retired and who tows a TT around the country camping, has had major repairs done at no cost other than a small deductible. It paid off huge.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you keep a vehicle for more than 5 years the odds are much greater that you would use the extended warranty.

You pay more for a warranty that lasts longer - and "Using" the warranty isn't the same thing as "breaking even" on the cost of the warranty.

Warranty companies know the exact odds that they'll pay out more than they take in. In no case are the odds EVER stacked in the customer's favor, regardless of how long the vehicle is owned.

I have broke far more than even numerous times. Transmission repairs.

a/c repairs etc.

The Warranty companies make money by investing the premium payment.

They do pay out a lot of claims. They work the same way an insurance company

does, a typical auto insurance company will pay out most of amount that they

collected in premiums when paying claims. Some will pay out more than they collected, but

will still make a profit from investing the premiums.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I had one on my truck when I bought it new, and never used it.  $1400 wasted.

I think you'd be better off taking the money you would have spent for an extended warranty, and putting it in a rainy-day, shit-happens fund.

How long did you own the vehicle?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#39]
On an American car I would certainly buy the extended warranty.  On my Honda I did not.  I am not up on Hyundai's long-term reliability, YMMV.

-WhyTanFox
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are already planning on replacing the transmission and you haven't bought the vehicle yet? Maybe you should be looking at something else.

I was born under the hood of a car, have been an enthusiast since I was old enough to remember, worked in a couple reputable repair shops for a couple years... I'm not foolish enough to think that *any* vehicle is outside the possibility of fragging a transmission.

With my driving style, and the plans I have for this vehicle, it would be a good investment.  All said and done, it should be up around 900ft-lbs torque; even the venerable Allison that comes in the vehicle runs the risk of sudden and catastrophic failure.

If I wanted something with a transmission that didn't break, I'd buy a Mustang V6 with a T-5... but that wouldn't be any fun, would it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#43]
My grandfather drives a 1993 Cutlass. He bought the extended waranty and rust protection. When the car was 9 years old there was some rust from road salt. Took the car in and the dealership told him it really wasnt worth sending to a body shop, would he accept a check for $3,200.00 instead?

He made money on the extended warranty and rust proofing.

Simular results with his F150.

Basically they are a rip off for most car buyers and a good deal if you keep a car at least 10-years.

I should have bought the warranty for my car. Its 9 years old, only 63K mkiles. But needs  the Rack & Pinon replaced and the paint is badley oxidized. That $300.00 extended warranty would have covered both.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#44]
One thing that no one here is taking into consideration is the much, much lower price that warranty companies pay for service.

You may pay $1,500 for a warranty.  In that time period you have work done that totals $2,000 that you would have paid yourself if you didn't have a warranty, but the warranty covered it so you are $500 ahead.  However, the warranty only paid $1,200 for that service, so they made $300 off of you.  In that instance, you both won.

There are many instances in life in which you'll find paying someone else to do something for you can lead to you paying less in total.  I had the same car insurance company for 10 years at the time, I had gone to a local agent to find a better price, they offered me the same company I was already with for $200 less  The agent was given a discount that was so much less that she could take a cut for herself and still give me a $200 discount.  The insurance company doesn't offer the customer that directly.

I was caught speeding in a speed trap, I went to court and found 6 other people there for the same speed trap, I was the only person who paid for a lawyer.  The 6 other people got a deal for 3 points and a high fine, I was the only person who got a different deal, my lawyer got me no points and a smaller fine.  In the end, without the points and raise in insurance that I would have received, I saved money by paying a lawyer.  The lawyer didn't do any fancy lawyering, he just received professional courtesy.  Anyone with a lawyer also went first while everyone else waited.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you'd be better off taking the money you would have spent for an extended warranty, and putting it in a rainy-day, shit-happens fund.

It's an '04 F150 I've owned since new.  So 6-7 years and 115K miles so far.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I think you are lucky!

I had an 01, no extended warranty, Seat belts would unfasten themselves, the windshield

wipers would not work below 60° and it only had 72k miles when I sold it,oh I had to unhook

the cruise control deactivation switch because they were causing vehicle fires and FORD

was denying there was a problem.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
On an American car I would certainly buy the extended warranty.  On my Honda I did not.  I am not up on Hyundai's long-term reliability, YMMV.

-WhyTanFox

That's a crock of shit if I ever heard one, especially talking Hondas and some of the transmission problems they've had.

::shrug:: You make your bets and I'll make mine.  Your Mileage May Vary.

-WhyTanFox

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you are lucky!
I had an 01, no extended warranty, Seat belts would unfasten themselves, the windshield
wipers would not work below 60° and it only had 72k miles when I sold it,oh I had to unhook
the cruise control deactivation switch because they were causing vehicle fires and FORD

No, not lucky, just one of the few who can't figure out what the fuck you people do to your vehicles to make them blow up and fall apart in less than 100K miles.

I've never understood it, either.  Only God knows how many times I've romped HARD on my domestic vehicles, too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you are lucky!

No, not lucky, just one of the few who can't figure out what the fuck you people do to your vehicles to make them blow up and fall apart in less than 100K miles.

WOW, I ask an honest question and all you can come up with is an insult. Karma is a bitch

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#50]
I have on the last new three trucks, and each has paid for itself, but then again I drive into Washington DC every day, and I don't swerve for any potholes or road hazards or the like...each extended warranty has more than paid for itself in suspension type failure repairs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top