Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 7:03:13 PM EDT
Since everyone has been telling Chelle to get surveillance cameras to record her house if the neighbors show up, who here actually has such devices?  

Even before Chelle's situation came up I was working on setting up my video camera to connect to my PC and record video any time it detected motion.  I finally got it setup and working but I must say I'm very disappointed with the results.  It does capture video but the quality is poor and at night, even with my cameras night shot on it really can't see anything.

Once I had one camera working I realized that I would like to have more cameras setup.  One to cover the back door like I have right now, one to cover my truck, one to cover the front door, and one to cover the intersection that I live by as routinely I here people locking up their brakes so they don't hit someone.  I also want to be able to see at night.

Anyone have suggestions or recommendations on how to do this and what the price will be?

My current system is a Sony Handycam connected by firewire to my computer which runs the monitoring software.

To see my current system in action goto 68.209.169.58:8080  I have both a live view, currently a very dark picture, and recorded video.  You can how poor the quality is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Your wife is NEKKED!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Your wife is NEKKED!

Oh crap, those videos weren't supposed to go on the net!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out.  Anyone?????
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I got on the site, but couldn't run the vids.

Now the site is DOA
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I got on the site, but couldn't run the vids.

Now the site is DOA

I just bounced the server.  It's running through my DSL line so if more than one person is hitting it it will be slow.  Your best bet will be right click the videos and save them to your computer and then watch them.

The PC it is running on is a 700mhz with 256mb of ram.  Nothing that great but it should be able to handle the video processing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]

It says off line.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It says off line.

It's back up

To make things easier here are direct links to some of the videos.  They are 3 to 5 mb mpeg.  Right click and save them before viewing.

68.209.169.58:81/Cam1_05-01-07@14`21`04.mpeg
192.168.0.21:81/Cam1_05-01-07@15`13`25.mpeg
192.168.0.21:81/Cam1_05-01-07@16`26`48.mpeg

Night time
68.209.169.58:81/Cam1_05-01-07@19`41`37.mpeg
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a pretty neat camera system.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:09:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
HandiCams aren't really designed for this.  You're much better off with dedicated black & white cams, especially if you can augment this with at least a small amount of light directed at the target areas.  Black & white cameras are much better at seeing in the dark, and less expensive to make low-light friendly.

-Troy

My shop cam's are color with a 0 lux rating , they also switch to night
shot and use IR illuminators . They cost me $135 each through the security
company . The picture is 10X better then the old low lux B&W cameras , and
they are half the size .  They feed into a digital storage unit that keeps
400 hrs of video for each of the five cams . The whole setup was a tad
under $1300 for the upgrade  .

The only reason I posted this is to give a heads up for how
You store the video .  You need to check your state laws
to see what is required for it to be considered legal evidence if needed .
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#11]
if you want good quality pics and not much worried about price think pelcos spectra domes
if price is a concern then think silent witness or ganz they both make decent cameras that are IR with illuminators but the illuminators dont throw for much more than 20 feet or so.
as far as recording goes chk out integral they are pricey but make IMHO the best out there for your bucks. Most of the digital recorders will run about a grand anyhow but I luv integral they are easy to setup and for the customer to  use. Bonus is that they can be networked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#13]
"I'm working on adding pan and tilt capability to the one mounted off my ham radio antenna using tiny servo motors like the ones you'd find on a remote control model airplane. I have them wired and nearly ready to go, I'm just waiting on the weather to get better to start running the wires.
"

have seen a lot of these types of things over the years
One thing to remember is to make sure that the motors and all the shafts from the motors are fully enclosed so they dont corode.
Also if you are going to be using ptz you have to set it up so that you cannot take pics of your neighbors windows or youmay wind up with a peeping tom charge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top