Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 2:32:33 PM EDT
Help a brother out!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude CARFAX is a Joke.  I had a friend who had a Nissan truck that had been in 4 accidents.  One of them frame damage complete front end smashed, near total. CARFAX shows nothing.  Buyer beware for freakin sure.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Dude CARFAX is a Joke.  I had a friend who had a Nissan truck that had been in 4 accidents.  One of them frame damage complete front end smashed, near total. CARFAX shows nothing.  Buyer beware for freakin sure.

Concur. I am almost positive our van was in a serious wreck and repaired. Carfax doesnt show squat. I think dealers are using it to get one over on the consumer. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The only thing Carfax will show is if the car has been in an accident and it was REPORTED through insurance and fixed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only thing Carfax will show is if the car has been in an accident and it was REPORTED through insurance and fixed.

EXACTLY... Reported is it's achillies heel.  My bud had his truck repaird through his insurance company, so I assume they do not report it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Any time ANY insurance company pays out on a claim, they tie it to the VIN of your car.  Therefore, you can tell that the car has been involved IN an accident, though not necesarily tell you WHAT happened to it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Any time ANY insurance company pays out on a claim, they tie it to the VIN of your car.  Therefore, you can tell that the car has been involved IN an accident, though not necesarily tell you WHAT happened to it.

Not in this case it seems.  I was the one driving his butt around getting quotes and eventually the vehicle fixed.  It sure seemed to me his insurance paid it.  Perhaps it was the other parties? In that case does the OTHER insurance co. tie to the VIN as well?

hmmmm
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Carfax takes vehicle information from police reports, accident claims, insurance accident repairs and from DMV registrations.

A lot of information that is not shown in a Carfax is more than likely withheld due to certain states reporting procedures. Some states do not have requirements or have programs in place to record accident/insurance claim repair.
Some states do not give out any DMV information unless it was released by the owner of the vehicle.

www.carfax.com/cfm/hcwhereinfo.cfm

I bought a used 87 Nissan Sentra and the dealer swore up and down that it had been in Washinton state since it was bought new.
There was nothing really wrong with it except that is seemd to have a lot of corrosion in some different places.
For the first couple of years after we owned it we were always finding sand in the strangest places.

A couple years after we sold the car I did a Carfax search on it.
Turns out it had been sold brand new in Hawaii to Avis and that it was a rental fleet sales car!!
It had recorded registrations from Hawaii, GUAM, Idaho, Washington State and California (the Cali and WA state registrations were from before I owned it).

Had I seen a copy of the Carfaxe report I would not have walked away from it, I would have run!

Still, we bought it with 67,000 miles on it and it had 184,000 on it before it threw a rod through the block.

My old 64 Plymouth Valiant doesn't show up, but my Dad's 1957 Plymouth Fury does.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]
About 1/3 of all events dont show up on the carfax.  So you have to take it with a grain of salt.  On the other hand I was going to buy a low mileage BMW and was told it was in great shape.  The fucking dealer of course forgot to tell me it was a loaner.  The salesman dropped his jaw and stopped talking when I asked him about that.  The car was a loaner and was purchased at a car auction.

Give me the VIN and I can run it for you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
About 1/3 of all events dont show up on the carfax.  So you have to take it with a grain of salt.  On the other hand I was going to buy a low mileage BMW and was told it was in great shape.  The fucking dealer of course forgot to tell me it was a loaner.  The salesman dropped his jaw and stopped talking when I asked him about that.  The car was a loaner and was purchased at a car auction.

Give me the VIN and I can run it for you.

Check your IM's. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]
call your insurance agent they can run your vin .
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Fax run.  Its a rental vehicle from PA until 33900 miles.  Someone in PA bought it and drove it for a few years. It was sold at an auto auction in FL with 104000 miles on it.  No accidents or collisions reported.  Most likely it was a trade in on a new vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Unless youre going to get for damn cheap I would pass.  Its on its last legs or will need major repairs and part replacement in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#13]
any possibility you could run a VIN for me ARDOC?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top