Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 7:20:11 AM EDT
Wife made me buy an expedition this weekend... she was feeling bad about not supporting habib, and alacma enough with a regular truck

It is a 99 with 73K mile so I want to get an extended warranty.

It is not going to be an everyday driver, it wil be the grocery getter/long trip vehicle.

Any advice?

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen mostly bad experiences with aftermarket warranties.

As a tech at a Jeep dealership, I once saw an aftermarket warranty company refuse to honor a rear diff because the tires were ONE size bigger than stock...seriously.

That is only one example of many...these companies are in buisness to MAKE money, not give it away. YMMV.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Extended warranties are more insurance than they are warranties per se.  There is usually a deductible, payable on every visit.  They also will argue with you harder than a standard warranty, and will want to cover less if you do any aftermarket add-ons.  Here's my experience.
I have a 2000 Sportster.  They came with paper gaskets which would eventually fail and leak.  Of course, this didn't happen during the regular warranty, but fortunately I had the extended warranty.  Unfortunately mine chose to fail one at a time, and they wouldn't replace them until they failed, even though they new that the next one was going to fail eventually.  This means I was out the $50 "deductible" for each visit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out clarkhoward.com to find out about any extended warranty.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I got one when I bought a used Ponitic Grand Prix GTP. It was used and the first year of the model. Glad I did. Water pump went out. Year later a plastic pipe for the cooling system failed. Both times I had to pay for the decutable, flushing the radiator and a oil change. My total cost was $350. Didn't have to pay $2000. The second time they took the heads off to make sure they were not warped.

I would get it for a used car but not a new one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to have a 96 Eclipse, It had 49K when I bought it. I bought an etended warranty for about $800, just in case The turbo or tranny, or somthing else expensive went out.  Turned out I never needed it so it was a waist of money.  But if somthing would have broken it would have been nice to have.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the InterContinental warranty through my credit Union when I bought my new car. It was $900 after tax with no deductible. Could have got it for $50 less but would have to pay a $50 deductible on each repair. The warranty is a 7 year/100,000 mile deal. It covers everything except normal wear and tear that was listed very specificly (tires, spark plugs, shocks, struts, etc.)

Forgot to mention I also had one on my last car (extended to 50,000). I used it a lot. Got a new motor mount, new stereo, new rear defroster, and new driver's side door parts (the thingy that holds the door open).
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]

They are a scam. By the time the customer pays his deductable and for things pertinent to the repair not specically covered by the warranty, he has saved very little. And then there is the telephone marathon to get them to approve anything! They pay a set price for parts and labor, and if the labor and parts happen to cost more, than the customer has to pay the difference. As stated above, they are in existance to make money for the warranty company, not to help people keep their cars on the road. Credit unions typically offer them as a gimmick to market car loans.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine was great
No deductible and I only paid for the normal stuff, brakes, oil changes, etc..

I had axle problems, bearing issues, starter, alternator...

Not one red cent left my hands for those.

Paid $1000 for the warranty, taking that cost I saved over $4000.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked in a dealership many moons.

Some are good, some SUCK.

My sister bought a used car out of factory warr. It had a lot of power options and auto trans. I advised her to get one.

Walk back to the service department at the ford dealer and ask the guys working the counter what is THE BEST in your area they will know.

Haggle with them on the price HUGE MARK UP. If they will not deal walk away. They will call you back. If not go some place else, you can buy it anywere. My sister got the best one, NO deduct. Bumper to bumper $800.00 for 5 year 100,000 miles it started out 1200.00 with a 50.00 deduct.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a 2000 Sportster.  They came with paper gaskets which would eventually fail and leak.  
View Quote

Show me a Harley that Does not leak, and I'll show you a trailer queen. They are supposed to do this Dude, I think it they were designed that way. Kind of like Ford 351W and rear main oil seals. It is something you just have to get used to. I call THE LEAKS "AUTOMATIC FRAME OILERS"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top