Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2002 5:09:11 AM EDT
After reading the post about the Huns Farm Meet, I just began to wonder how many have ever been to Texas? I have read so many inaccuracies on what everyone believes if here, I would like to hear how you formed your ideas of what Texas really is. So please, sound off. Another Native Texan, fullclip
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I went to Virginia for training and there were some people from PA., WI., and CA. in my class. They asked if I had a horse and other dumb shit like that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:19:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We changed planes at DFW a few times.  On the first trip my son demanded to see Walker Texas Ranger.
View Quote

That's better than him wanting to see "Rangers, baseball players" [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:29:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I was born and raised there. Does that count?[:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I almost lost my viginity in Tyler. Almost lost my life in Brownsville.

Used to SXSW every year too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was born and raised there. Does that count?[:D]
View Quote

Only because Oklahoma is important to us[:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:49:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember a jingle from years ago I saw in a Triple-A guide book:

"The sun has riz
the sun has set
and we ain't out
of Texas yet."

I can attest to the accuracy of the poem. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They asked if I had a horse and other dumb shit like that.
View Quote

Do you have a cowboy hat and one of them big belt buckles?
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
[hick voice] i be livin here for a while....all my life infact...[/hick voice]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the main problem is people who get their idea of reality from their television.

I grew up on the east coast, and was stationed at Sheppard AFB twice for school. I decided then that I wanted to live here.

Now I live a mile and a quarter from South Fork Ranch. [:P]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I was born and raised there. Does that count?
View Quote

As my uncle who is a retired school teacher says, "That don't come as no recommendation."
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I went to Virginia for training and there were some people from PA., WI., and CA. in my class. They asked if I had a horse and other dumb shit like that.
View Quote

Well, do you? Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I know one thing about TX................you better crap before you head east out of El Paso
if notyou are in deep poo.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Lived in El Paso for a while some time ago.  Been to DFW area, Austin and Houston.

But my heart is where I's raised... Colorado.
(where we have now a pretty layer of snow on top of the Mountains thanks to night before lasts Snowing!) [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Spent a week there earlier this year.  Flat, really, really flat.
View Quote

I really hope you're not referring to the womenz there.

PS: Texans, post pix of them, please! College-aged cheerleaders preferred

PPS: Pretty ones.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#19]
West Texas looks like the set for Aliens 5. rusting oil derricks and tumbleweed. 40 year old trailers with dirty faced kids looking out the window at the junk cars in the yard with all the empty beer cans lying around them. A tire swing spins in the yard next to a pile of old tires. Proof positive that imagination is not dead here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

What part of Texas were you in??  fullclip
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lived in El Paso for a while some time ago.  Been to DFW area, Austin and Houston.

(where we have now a pretty layer of snow on top of the Mountains thanks to night before lasts Snowing!) [:)]
View Quote

Truth be known, part of Colorado really belongs to us[:)]  fullclip
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I've lived in Houston, Perryton (northern panhandle) and Jacksonville (30 miles south) of Tyler).

Jacksonville was my favorite:
Green and trees; Lots of big trees.

It rained there as well:
Something that doesn't happen here in Arizona anymore.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I get to wake up here everyday!!! Great mix of everything, plains,hills,forest,beaches,lakes, streams,and of course a valley...Maybe it does get a little boring out west.  On my Big Bend trip last year I was like "are we ever gonna get there???". Drive for 12-14 hours and still be in Texas.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Truth be known, part of Colorado really belongs to us[:)]  fullclip
View Quote

You bet!!  Of course, the oxygen bars that are springing up are doing a pretty brisk business with all of you flatlanders visiting here. [:)]

Or maybe you meant the eastern plains of Colorado?  Flat, barren in places, and you can still see decrepit oil pumping equipment in certain areas.  Probably just like home, huh?  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I spent 6 months in Dallas. I love walking around the Galleria at the Tollway & I635. There is a French resturant on the ice rink level called La Madeleine. And the West End, ahhh.... Sonny Bryan's BBQ - good stuff.

Oh forgot about the 6th Floor Museum, and Dallas Book Depository, the site where Kennedy was shot. Really interesting place, and must see when in Dallas.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I've stayed in downtown Dallas at the Fairmont.  I really like Texas.  Reminds me of home.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Nope...never been there...maybe one of these days I'll get there...
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Used to go to Rodeos and steer trippin's down there.

TEXAS had the most beautiful blonde blue eyed ladies in the west at that time!

That was in the early 70's. I've been out the of loop since '77.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I spent a few hours of Christmas last year in Texas...in the Houston airport.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Fond memories of Texass [:)]. Was stationed at Ft.Hood. Lived for a while in Harker Heights & in Killeen proper for a while. My daughter and my current wife are native Texans…so I guess I’m doing something right [:D]
Echo (StarsatnightShinesobright)6
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I drove from Portales NM to Lubbock TX to catch a plane back to Phoenix AZ...does that count???
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Texas is okay-- I have lived in several parts (Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, Houston, Woodlands, D/FW)
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Truth be told it looks like pretty much the rest of the country.  The East side of Texas looks like the South.  The west looks like most other western states excluding the mountains.  Driving to Padre Island from Colorado is one long haul though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I saw Long horns graving on the side of the road too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What part of Texas were you in??  fullclip
View Quote

All of it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#39]
For those of you who have not been here, the Texas Dept of Transportation offers a Travel Guide. Its nice to have one.
[url]www.traveltex.com[/url]
Make an excuse to visit San Antonio, you owe it yourself.
6th generation Texan.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Was at Fort Hood and Fort San Antonio for several weeks/months at a time.  

I love the riverwalk....at least what I can remember. [:)]

Actually was in Texas Thurs. night for about 10 minutes before we realized that we missed our turn in Texarkana.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
1GR...one of your trips we need to introduce you to the Trans-Pecos in West Texas.  One of my favorite towns, Fort Davis is over a mile in altitude.  The bar at the Limpia Hotel just down the hill from Wild Rose Pass is a favorite too.

And in the Panhandle, Palo Duro Canyon is second only to the Grand Canyon in size.  Comanches hid from the cavalry in Palo Duro.

We got our ups and downs.

**And for your dining pleasure, about 45 minutes from Fort Davis over in Alpine is the original Reata restaurant.  Named for the ranch in the movie "Giant".  The have a pepper-crusted, pan seared beef tenderloin that will make you forget BBQ for one meal.  And mountain oysters for appetizers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Holy crap, I never figured that there was somebody here that had ever heard of Perryton,TX.  Been stuck in this hellhole for11 years now and I can't seem to get away from it.  The upside to living here is that I get to take all of my frustrations out on the prairie rats.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Texas, Our Texas, God shed His grace on thee!

Yes, [b]Texas[/b], I've heard of Perryton all my life!

BTW, I once had to chase off some boys from Perryton from my Farm!

I'll tell you all about it one day!

Eric The(ButNotNow,I'mTooTired)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Everytime I hear "Texas" I think of PeeWee Herman singing "...the stars at night are big and bright.. (clap clap clap) ..deep in the heart of Texas..."  (from peewee's movie)  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#45]
A few years ago, while working for Nortel, I spent about 2 months there.  Started off in Houston at a Qwest switch site installing switching equipment and Access Nodes.  Also put in some OC192s in a couple of towns towards the coast.  Proceeded then on US 90 from San Antonio westward to where it ran into I-10, then I-10 to El Paso.  On the way out US 90, every so often, we would tear out into the desert to optical repeater site for a fiber route that ran along railroad tracks right along the border.  I would drop off some contractors and 1 or 2 OC192s and then proceed with the rest of the equipment and contractors to the next site.  I had to make that trip several times because the OC192 frames didn't always come with all it's circuit cards, so I had to go back to each site and install the cards as I got them.  At one site, the local Qwest guy warned us before we got out of our vehicles to watch out for rattlers, wild boar, and illegals.  I asked him if we could shoot any or all of the above and he said yes.

Everything west of Austin was brown, including El Paso.  Some interesting little towns along US 90, like Del Rio and Alpine.  Between those towns was a mixture of flat desert and barren mountain passes.  Eerily pretty.  Maybe you Texas guys can tell me this.  I remember one spot where at night there were some mysterious lights out in the desert that allegedly no one had ever discovered the source of.  Oh yeah, it's DARK out there at night.  Got buzzed by a B1 once.  I saw it as a speck approaching me and suddenly, whoosh.  I couldn't get my camera out in time.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and, as I said, the west Texas desert has an eerily beautiful quality about it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#46]
That's just sad, [b]7IDL[/b], truly sad.

I try to forget Pee Wee Herman's name, face, and, most particularly, his movies!

Sorry, you can't!

Eric The(TrueTexan)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#47]
me
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top