Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2001 6:59:30 PM EDT
Today the wife and both kinds and I went to the range with the .22’s and my AR10A4.

They spent two hours lasting away with the 22’s before I asked the kinds to break out the AR10.
Today was my wife’s initiation day, she has never fired anything bigger than my AR15 so she was a little hesitant on her first five or six shots and somehow managed to miss the gong at 100 yards in slow fire.

At this point she realizes the recoil is not so bad and she becomes a tack-driving fanatic. So on to mag #2 and she starts shooting and hitting the gong at 200 yards so I stop her and ask if she knew she was shooting the 200-yard gong and she says "yes".   Mag #3 and she is not hitting the 200yard gong anymore so I look a little farther up the hill and sure enough she is hitting the large 300yard gong every shot then she moves to the small 300yard gong and cant miss the next thing she does is starts nailing the teeny tiny 6" gong at 300yards with each of her last for shots.

Both my kids took their turns and did well at the 100yard gong and then my wife shoots up the 300yard gong again. At this point I have not shot all day because I have a broken right hand but I gave in to my obsession and sat down at the bench and inserted a twenty round mag pulled back the charging handle and let it fly forward to chamber the first round and brought the stock up to my shoulder and looked through the scope at the 100yard gong and flipped off the safety. At this point I had committed myself to the task at hand; I fired the first shot and never lost sight of the gong for the whole string of twenty pulling the trigger and re-aiming during recoil and firing again and again till the chamber ran dry.    
When I was done I noticed that it was totally quiet but I didn’t think anything about it at the time because it was time for one of my sons turn but when we where on our way home they all said that it was so neat that everyone stopped shooting when I fired of the whole mag as fast as I could pull the trigger and never missed the gong. Before we left the range a few people came over to ask what kind of rifle I was shooting, this happens every time we go to the range. My hand handled it rather well; it hurts a little more now than it did before but only a little and it was well worth it.

Sorry for the long thread but I had a great day and just wanted to share it.

THISISME
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
[8D]
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
everyday is a day that the range for me,nothing like country living.sounds like you had a great family day that the range.too bad more families don't do that together.mmk
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
i burned some ammo in the backyard then went crow hunting, does that count??
[heavy]
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
In honor of St. Patrick, I popped off a mag full of .303 British from the Fazakerly Irish-contract No. 4 Enfield. Fiana Fail!
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Put my M1A scout on paper for the first time with iron sights at 100 yards.
It was great. Now time to get the cash to buy my scope.
Anyone want to buy an 870?
[shotgun]
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Striker, I just can’t relate. It was 78 here today and it will be in the high 80’s to low 90’s next week.

I love Arizona.

madman kirk, When I was growing up I could go out the back door and walk for a bit and do all the shooting I wanted to also. I wish I still could, perhaps when the kids are grown we will move out to the boonies. There are still larges peaces of land in Arizona that can be had at a reasonable price.

Biff, It counts for me.

Tim J, All I can say is WoW!

THISISME
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top