Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2009 3:31:29 AM EDT

Which kind of gun owner are you?

By Steven Loos/kotoc

Having spent a fair amount of my impressionable years shooting alongside my WW2 veteran grandfather, I was fortunate to have been taught early on the great responsibility that owning a firearm brings.

As far back as I can recall I have always understood owning a firearm had a deeper meaning. Later in life, and much to my surprise, I would come to understand that not all owners share this belief.

During Ohioans' struggle to pass common-sense concealed carry legislation, I had the good fortune to join in the fight as a volunteer. While continuing the good work of defending the Second Amendment alongside incredibly dedicated activists, I have interacted with many firearm owners.

Gun owners come from all walks of life. We may be politician, police officer or plumber. Statistically we are the most law-abiding segment of society. Interestingly, among the gun owning public, I've encountered three distinct kinds of gun owners. Although there are variations in each subset, what follows is in my opinion the general categories that most gun owners fall into:

The Casual Gun Owner
The Belligerent Gun Owner
The Dedicated Defender of Gun Rights

For the full story, explanation of each category and more info on guns rights please visit

http://buckeyefirearms.org/node/6641
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 5:12:26 AM EDT
Good article.  I know all three types and the second is definitely the most annoying.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 5:42:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 12:52:26 PM EDT
Thanks guys!

Oh hardshell, You don't have to tell me that. I knell to your gun collections authority!
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 1:04:21 PM EDT
Good read. I know all 3 types very well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 4:19:51 PM EDT
Good article.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 4:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2009 4:39:13 PM EDT by LtDirector]
I don't believe I fit under any of these. But it is a good read, though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:31:01 PM EDT
No one is going to claim to be the 2nd one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 12:09:41 AM EDT
A couple have believe it or not, lol.

http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?t=2858

Originally Posted By Hawk_308:
No one is going to claim to be the 2nd one.

Link Posted: 4/27/2009 3:26:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2009 3:36:41 AM EDT by texas_mustang_01]
I guess I'll go with #3 since in the last 2 years I've spent more time trying to save and increase our gun rights than actual shooting.

It's a good hobby for the broke gun nut. Get into 2A issues.

We need everyone! Contact your elected officials, join a group, teach a kid, bring a friend.

Texas Senate committee will be debating the CCW on Campus bill this morning. See http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=340690 to call a Texas Senator and be a #3 today!
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 6:36:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LtDirector:

Me neither, I can see where I would have some attributes of all three.  Why do we need to put arbitrary labels on gun owners, gun owners by themselves are already minority enough as it is.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:00:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/28/2009 3:01:55 AM EDT by KnightofTheOldeCode]
No list of categories ever can fit everyone, but I've found the majority of gun owners fit more or less into one of these groups. The point of the article is to make people think about where they stand. If I've done nothing else than it was worth the effort.

I think you'd have to agree the Best case scenario would be if the majority of gun owners fit behind door number three.

BTW, I may had to make a new category.. Idiots that voted for BO then realized he was a gun grabber who are now buying guns if they can find them, then bitching they can't find ammo, lol.

Thanks guys! you're the best!

Originally Posted By SWATH:

Me neither, I can see where I would have some attributes of all three.  Why do we need to put arbitrary labels on gun owners, gun owners by themselves are already minority enough as it is.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 10:53:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KnightofTheOldeCode:
No list of categories ever can fit everyone, but I've found the majority of gun owners fit more or less into one of these groups. The point of the article is to make people think about where they stand. If I've done nothing else than it was worth the effort.

I think you'd have to agree the Best case scenario would be if the majority of gun owners fit behind door number three.

BTW, I may had to make a new category.. Idiots that voted for BO then realized he was a gun grabber who are now buying guns if they can find them, then bitching they can't find ammo, lol.

There should be another class, the "apathetic gun owner." I know lots like me. I'm not active in political protesting or action. That being said, I do whatever I want and AM willing to fight if someone pushes me about it. But honestly I keep completely to myself. It's not proactive and is frowned upon on this site, I realize. But the way I look at it, is I'm going to keep doing whatever I want and if someone decides it's illegal and comes to kill me over it... well I'll cross that bridge when it inevitably comes. I admire your dedication to the fight, but I believe it's futile.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:39:42 PM EDT
Het LT, Great observation! Funny that you say that,  we do have the class known as the apathetic Gun Owner, in fact if you go to my article, there is a link in the text that takes you to our article about the apathetic gun owner, check it out.

There should be another class, the "apathetic gun owner." I know lots like me. I'm not active in political protesting or action. That being said, I do whatever I want and AM willing to fight if someone pushes me about it. But honestly I keep completely to myself. It's not proactive and is frowned upon on this site, I realize. But the way I look at it, is I'm going to keep doing whatever I want and if someone decides it's illegal and comes to kill me over it... well I'll cross that bridge when it inevitably comes. I admire your dedication to the fight, but I believe it's futile.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:03:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2009 3:33:48 PM EDT by LtDirector]
Het LT, Great observation! Funny that you say that,  we do have the class known as the apathetic Gun Owner, in fact if you go to my article, there is a link in the text that takes you to our article about the apathetic gun owner, check it out.

I'll have to check that out. The site appears to be down at the moment.

edit: Ah there it is.

While that's partially true, I have no question the government intends to take away our Rights. I just believe it to be futile to fight it in the political arena. The "enemies of the people" are far too deeply embedded.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:03:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HardShell:
Nothing at all casual nor belligerent about my ownership of firearms, so...

+1 and getting more and more active.  I've been writing to my legislators for years.  I actually had one write me back and tell me: "I have a 1911 by my bedside and believe that gun control means using both hands."  I wrote back and told him that I wished that I actually lived in his district. (State Legislator)
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:13:48 PM EDT
The second one describes one of my friends to the T haha

I was going good with casual until it got to the part about supporting gun bans and that other stuff. So that I guess makes me a member of "The Dedicated Defender of Gun Rights" category.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:19:50 PM EDT
a 3, but leaning toward a 2!  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:59:02 PM EDT

Which kind of gun owner are you?

A proud one.
Top Top