Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 3:27:19 PM EDT
my options are roadrunner DSL or time/warner cable. which of these provides a faster connection? i live in waco, TX if location makes a difference.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Cable is faster that our T-1 pipe at work... Smokes DSL.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
go to:
broadband reports

Look to see if there are any comments in your area about either. Also check to see how far you are from telco office. If it is greater than 15,000 feet you might want to use cable.

I personally found too much packet loss with cable
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I subcontract for TWC as a installer.  RoadRunner is a good candidate.  DSL over POTs (plain old Telephone) is just as good (often better) if you are in the right location. Cable (RR) is going to be about the same no matter where you are in the "node" or "plant".
TWC may be offering VOIP( voice over Internet protocal) also in your town.  That means you could get your Phone, TV and internet from a single provider.  W/ voip, there is no long distance in the contiguous US on calls made out from your account.

I've had RR for 2.5 years and have only shut it off a few times.  

any more question, I'll try to answer them.

-HS
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
i'll be living in in apartment and these are the only two available (if i understand correctly). it's in the middle of the city, so distance from a source shouldn't be an issue. i'm comming off a T3 line, so anything else will probably seem slow.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
you can't go wrong with either.  in my experience with Road Runner Cable and Bellsouth DSL, cable will give you faster speeds, but DSL is more reliable and gives consistent speeds
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Comcast Cable...It is sooo fast!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i'll be living in in apartment and these are the only two available (if i understand correctly). it's in the middle of the city, so distance from a source shouldn't be an issue. i'm comming off a T3 line, so anything else will probably seem slow.

Call TWC and ask them about their specials.  Set your cpu up at a cable outlet that will give you a dedicated line (no 2-way splitter at the wall plate with a line to your tv and one to the modem).  If they are runing a special(they always are) have them hook it up.  Usually, it is something like $30 for the 1st 3 months.  If you are unsatisfied, disconnect after a month.  Install is likely free. If you dont like it, switch to DSL.

-HS
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Right now time warner is advertising road runner for 29.95 for 6 months than 44.95 a month after that if you aren't a cable subscriber with them.  If you have their cable then it's like 39.95.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call TWC and ask them about their specials.  Set your cpu up at a cable outlet that will give you a dedicated line (no 2-way splitter at the wall plate with a line to your tv and one to the modem).  If they are runing a special(they always are) have them hook it up.  Usually, it is something like $30 for the 1st 3 months.  If you are unsatisfied, disconnect after a month.  Install is likely free. If you dont like it, switch to DSL.

-HS

Just curious, I have Insight Broadband connection, and the cable installer ran it from a 2-way splitter.  Is there something wrong with that?  (not real comp literate here.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top