Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/5/2009 6:33:45 AM EDT
Zombies. We will say fast zombies. For the sake of argument most of us can agree that fast zombies are worse than slow zombies.
They are everywhere. If you get bit you become one. People you know can become zombies. The human population gets smaller as the zombie population grows.

Velociraptors. Fast, smart, teeth and claws. But you don't have to shoot the head to kill. Consider for the scenario that somehow a massive number of velociraptors has sprung up everywhere. Like 1 raptor per 20 people on earth, and they are hungry. Also for the sake of argument, these velociraptors are Jurassic park movie size.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I WANT the zombies to come....

But a big ass herd of Velociraptors would freak me out
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

just walk into a meth house, you'll find all the zombies you want however as of now you still can't shoot at them

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
zombies are dumb ... velociraptors are smart sob's
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy shit velociraptor SHTF would be nightmarish.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Velociraptors don't increase exponentially.

I'd be more worried about zombies.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
What round for velociraptors?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Velociraptors were the size of a turkey.  Yes they did travel in packs but so do dogs and I am not afraid of them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#9]
ZOMBIE RAPTORS!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#10]
The intelligence of Raptors in JP was very exaggerated.  They were smart, for a dinosaur, but not so much compared to a higher mammal.  Wolves/Lions are certainly smarter...

Raptors the size depicted in JP are about the size of a large Deinonychus, or small Utahraptor...

You know they were feathered right?  Since JP came out they have found several Maniraptorian species preserved with feathers, including Velociraptor Mongolensis

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ZOMBIE RAPTORS!!!!!!!!!!

oh dang
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ZOMBIE RAPTORS!!!!!!!!!!

oh dang

at least it would slow them done some
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ZOMBIE RAPTORS!!!!!!!!!!

oh dang

What round is best for a Zombie Raptor?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I concur. Attrition will ultimately reduce the velociraptor packs.

Velociraptors are cunning pack hunters, but they're not amazingly smart. Additionally, they have hollow bone structures (like the birds they would ultimately evolve into), so they are pretty fragile. 00 Buckshot would likely be more than sufficient to end them.

-Mark
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Tough one.

But raptors can't propagate at the speed zombies do.  A couple of weeks of hunting out here and our raptor problem would be solved.

Containing Z's would be a bit more....problematic.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Zombies...because they create more zombies....Raptors just eat the kills and move on....no additional raptors unless they actually breed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What round for velociraptors?

They actually aren't that big.  308 would be plenty.  Hell, 223 would be plenty.

Any of the common sporting calibers would work well too.  243 Win, 260 Remington, 270 Win, 30-30, 45-70, 30-06, 12 gauge with buckshot, 44 magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum would all work fine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Zombie Velociraptors.. now that will give you nightmares
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur. Attrition will ultimately reduce the velociraptor packs.

Velociraptors are cunning pack hunters, but they're not amazingly smart. Additionally, they have hollow bone structures (like the birds they would ultimately evolve into), so they are pretty fragile. 00 Buckshot would likely be more than sufficient to end them.

-Mark

As I mentioned, any of the common sporting or military calibers would work fine.  They aren't that big or tough.  00 buck would mess one up good and properly.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This

Kill them before they breed you are GTG.  Zombies... you are fucked you will be outnumbered shortly
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ZOMBIE RAPTORS!!!!!!!!!!

oh dang

What round is best for a Zombie Raptor?

00 buck followed by slug. repeat.
12ga

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

ZOMBIE RAPTORS!!!!!!!!!!

You Rang?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#23]
i'd be more worried about velociraptors b/c zombies are dumb & velociraptors are bigger, faster, smarter, stronger
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Reptiles can be stopped in their tracks with ice water.  Zombies are much harder to deal with because inevitably there are too many of them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't have nearly enough .308 for a raptor herd....

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Clever girls, if you will Mr. Muldoon.

If 4 AKs don't stop a charging bear, I'd be hesitant to rely on antipersonnel rounds for raptor.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Velociraptors.  Edit:  Never mind the rest.  I didn't read the OP and went off on a tangent.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
ZOMBIE RAPTORS!!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The intelligence of Raptors in JP was very exaggerated.  They were smart, for a dinosaur, but not so much compared to a higher mammal.  Wolves/Lions are certainly smarter...

Raptors the size depicted in JP are about the size of a large Deinonychus, or small Utahraptor...

You know they were feathered right?  Since JP came out they have found several Maniraptorian species preserved with feathers, including Velociraptor Mongolensis

http://www.firstscience.com/SITE/IMAGES/reviews/dinobirds/JS1-Feathered-Dromaeosaur-(.jpg  

Yeah the science wasn't as advanced back when JP was made...and I got the feeling they played a little hard and fast with it anyway.  But they did hunt in groups, so they may as well be as smart as a wolf or lion. Still amounts to sharp teeth eating me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ZOMBIE RAPTORS!!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit!

This!  It's like the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup of SHTF scenarios!  Two great threats that work great together!  

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Zombies. We will say fast zombies..

I declare the entire argument to be invalid due to the use of "fast" zombies.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Reptiles can be stopped in their tracks with ice water.  Zombies are much harder to deal with because inevitably there are too many of them.

They're not reptiles.  Velociraptors are in the Maniraptora clade...  You know, the same clade as modern birds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maniraptor

That is why they were feathered... To maintain thermal homeostasis.  Cold would not have slowed them down anymore than it does you.

They've found Dinosaurs that survived the antarctic winter such as the Leaellynasaura and Cryolophosaurus.  The climate then was somewhat warmer, so it was less inhospitable.  Still, the Sun disappeared for months at a time, and it was certainly below freezing for much of the year.  In fact Leaellynasaura has extremely large eyes, which they believe is an adaptation for the long winter months without light.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Should I lose, I'd rather be a zombie than raptor shit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Raptors, smarter and faster than zombies.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Congress...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Helicopter + M60= Raptors freaking lose.

Zombies are attracted to noise, so a helicopter would be out of the question, in fact any firearm, or other machine would attract zombies.  

I would be much more afraid of zombies, rather than a pack of stupid dinosaurs, I would go as far to say that I would be more worried over a pack of dogs than a pack of raptors.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Sorry guys, but I just don't think raptors would be that bad.  At worst they are the equivalent of Wolves, and we dominated them when we only had stone tools.

Human kind dominated Wolves, Dire Wolves, Cave Bears, Sabre Toothed Tigers and Mammoths all with stone tools.  We could certainly handle Raptors now that we have firearms and body armor.  Hell, put on a suit of chainmaille, and a Raptors claws would be useless (works as a shark suit, would work as a raptor suit as well).  

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Zombies would reproduce like crazy and you would never be forced to shoot your loved ones that turned.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Arcom has been telling me for the past year that I have been on this site to prepare for Zombies, and now you are saying there is a chance I should have been preparing for Raptors too!!!

Staff––- can we please have a Raptor forum.  I need all the info I can get so I can be prepared.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

DAMMIT.

Good fucking point; I hadn't really considered that.  I need to re-vote.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Raptors... zombies make noise and smell bad, so you have plenty of warning.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#45]
As soon as winter hit, you'd no longer have to worry about Raptors unless you lived in a Tropical climate.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not to mention fast as fuck.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Zombies, they're creepy and scary
I recon velociraptors would be good eatin'
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Zombies are to hard to kill without a flame thrower, so Velociraptors would be my choice as the less scary plus then I can haz birdshot fo sho.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Holy shit velociraptor SHTF would be nightmarish.

Velociraptors are big reptiles, distantly related to birds.

Reptiles that taste like chicken.

Reptiles that make awesome boots.

Reptiles that don't have firearms.

Reptiles that are outnumbered 20:1 in your story.

I'd give them six days before being completely extinct in TX and Louisiana.

ETA: Okay, not actual reptiles, but they do taste like chicken!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

As soon as winter hit, you'd no longer have to worry about Raptors unless you lived in a Tropical climate.

As I pointed out above, they have discovered several dinosaur species that survived below the Antarctic Circle.  Raptors were almost certainly warm blooded, and would be far more likely to stay active in the cold then would a modern reptile, or a zombie for that matter (which would likely freeze solid)...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top