Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:59:47 PM EDT
I have a choice of Reserve duty as avionics repair on Chinooks (15N) or military intelligence.  Both give me me a 15K bonus for being prior service, plus G.I. bill and that looks sweet, but I'm interested in what's better off in the long run.

I went to the MI unit last week and talked to them.  Tomorrow I'm going to Ft Lewis and chat with the Chinook guys.  I'm leaning towards the 15N now.  I've done all my paperwork and finished MEPS monday.  All I have to do now is sign up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Tank Turrent Repairer....

Dunno, Hard Call. You would probably like both of them. Hook Crew would make you an aircraft Mech, and MI you would be able to hire on lots of places like CIQ or Blackwater,

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
how about firearms confiscation? i don't know what mos it is but it looks like there is a need.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you want to do after the military?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
MI with languages.  That security clearance is money in the bank in the civvie world, and language capability opens barn doors to opportunity.

Crew chief positions generally lead to aircraft mech jobs on the outside.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

And I will not willingly get into the back of a Chinook.  That airframe twisting in flight with hydraulic fluid running down the cabin walls gives me Doom3 flashbacks...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
how about firearms confiscation? i don't know what mos it is but it looks like there is a need.

I know they're doing it but dont presume I'll follow that order.  Besides, the COPS are doing the confiscating, your beef's with them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, but can MI guys Ramp Surf?  

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know they're doing it but dont presume I'll follow that order.  Besides, the COPS are doing the confiscating, your beef's with them.

National Guard is doing it too.  Watch the video.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

National Guard is doing it too.  Watch the video.  

I watched the video and LEOs are the ones breaking down doors.  I didn't see one person in BDUs making arrests or entering houses.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#10]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know they're doing it but dont presume I'll follow that order. Besides, the COPS are doing the confiscating, your beef's with them.

i am sorry. i am very frusterated right now.

MI is the way to go if you can get the security clearance.
languages are also great but they have a high washout ratio though the base for the ait is sweet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i am sorry. i am very frusterated right now.

I understand, it frustrates me too.  I'd rather be military than a LEO any day.

Languages seem difficult to learn but I'll check into it.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Go 97E (Interrogator).  I think it's called something else now, but it was Interrogator when I was in.  Went to DLI in Monterey CA twice for a year each time.  Had a blast.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Crew chief positions generally lead to aircraft mech jobs on the outside.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Yep, that’s how I got my start in aviation.........67V Aero Scout Crew Chief. At the moment aviation sucks and at 39 years old, with 20+ years of experience, I’m searching for another field
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#14]
88M    east bound and down..........
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Spent some time looking at the language school and the Korean language itself.......no freak'in way!  I'll do math all day but not languages.

15N it is!  When I get enough tech time I'll go WO.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Go 97E (Interrogator).  I think it's called something else now, but it was Interrogator when I was in.  Went to DLI in Monterey CA twice for a year each time.  Had a blast.

Hmm, interesting...

(From About.com/military or whatever the address is):

"97E--Human Intelligence Collector
Major duties. The Human Intelligence Collector (HUMINT Collector) supervises and conducts tactical HUMINT collection operations that include, but are not limited to, debriefings, interrogations and elicitations in English and foreign languages for positive intelligence and force protection information; screens Human Intelligence (HUMINT) sources and documents to establish priorities for exploitation; under CI supervision, plans and participates in counterintelligence and Force Protection Operations (CFSO). Translates and exploits captured enemy documents, foreign language and open source publications. Prepares and edits appropriate intelligence and administrative reports; utilizes CI/HUMINT reporting and communications equipment; uses interpreters and manages interpreter/translator operations; conducts liaison and coordination in foreign language with host nation agencies; conducts analysis and performs briefings as required. "

More info: usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/97e.htm

I've been looking for an MOS that I might like, looks like you may have found it. You genuinely enjoyed it? Got any good stoires?  

Anyone know what the Marine equivalent of this is?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#17]
the marines have a hard enough time speaking english.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

And your a spelling/grammar genius.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Mi would be my suggestion from your two choices. Have you thought of EOD? Come out making $140/yr stateside.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Nevermind, found it (0251).
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Alot of the medical field.  The 91c is an lpn, x-ray tech, nuclear med, lab tech, they all equate civilian money.  I was a 91E3cx2, a dental hygienist with chemical identifier.  Just make for damn sure it can be civilian licensed.  My degree could only be licensed in 20 or so states.  Most MOS's have very little civilian use.

As a side note I went to nursing school, worked for dentist and oral surgeons and made alot of frickin money.  This was possible because of my military education along with my new degrees.

Good luck,

Bob

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Spent some time looking at the language school and the Korean language itself.......no freak'in way!  I'll do math all day but not languages.

You don't need tech time to go WO.

I hit MEPS on my 18th birthday and had my bar and wings a couple of months after turning 19.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And your a spelling/grammar genius.

Doing better than you....jarhead....
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yeah, but can MI guys Ramp Surf?  

Aviator

ABN?  yes.. quite a few MI guys in SF
(and there are way more peeps with maroon berets in SF than green ones)
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Good question, what do you want to be doing when you are 40? Crawling around aircraft or ducking & covering in shitholes of the world.

I would go intel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#26]
68G here "Airframe mech".  Got hired on real quick once they heard I was military.  That was 1980, I now make $28/hour  + plenty of OT good benefits such as 5 wks vacation plus a week off at christmas and 6 other assorted days off.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't need tech time to go WO.

I hit MEPS on my 18th birthday and had my bar and wings a couple of months after turning 19.

You do to be a working Warrant, maybe he wants to go 151A. Can't just walk into 95% of the WO MOS's..... got to have skills

Damm avaitors think they are the only ones out there  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I did 74F and 251 Warrant stuff in the Army.  Can make 6 figures no  problem.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#29]
MI is way to broad a field to give an appropriate answer.  If it's an option, look into 33W.  Those guys fixed all the electronic stuff that broke, and had some experience with software trouble shooting too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You do to be a working Warrant, maybe he wants to go 151A. Can't just walk into 95% of the WO MOS's..... got to have skills

Damm avaitors think they are the only ones out there  

Yep, 151A is what I'd be shooting for.  I'll use the Armys tuition assistance to get my BA in electronics engineering then go for a civilian job.  Washington is full of aircraft type employment.  The education and experience will get me into a WO position.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry for the late response....

Yeah, I enjoyed it.  Keep in mind I got out in '97 and things have changed a little.  A lot of the people I trained when I was in were in Iraq and/or A-stan, so I'd like to think I contributed in some fashion to the cause.  I don't do anything related now on the outside, but it does make for interesting conversations when people find out what I did for 8 years.

I only knew of a couple of Marine interrogators, and when they ran interrogations they did them by the book and were predictable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Sniper?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#33]
You know you can always look into Satellite and Wideband communications, come out making good money in the civilian world.  As a Test Technician I am making 49k plus overtime and bonuses.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#34]
My brother was in the Air Force for 10 years as an aircraft mechanic.  Got out and got a job in that industry really quickly.  This was about 12 years ago.  Since then, he's been frequently unemployed due to layoffs within the industry and is seriously considering a career change.  He just got a new job that pays him a little more than $20 an hour (with over 20 years of experience)

I got out in 8 years ago and have worked in IT since then.  I don't use my language skills at all and never used my clearance (TS/SBI) on the outside.  I make considerably more than my brother (about triple), and have less experience in my industry than he does.

My point is do not count on the military to give you the experience and skills you need in order to have a good civillian job.  It is a valuable experience and an honrable profession, and you can always proudly say you served.  Use the military for the experience and take advantage of any and all education benefits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top