Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 1:57:35 PM EDT
Planning on purchasing a personal GPS.
Which model do you suggest and why.
Must be able to use MGRS.
Looking for $200 or less...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Definately not a RINO. The sticks on those stop working in one or more direction, and the radio portion is absolutely horrid.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
GPS doesn't work inside of an M1114 or other armoured vehicles, so unless you do dismounted operations or need it for emergency grids, don't waste your money. uncle Sugar will issue you a big ole Plugger to nav with.

That being said, I brought over a Magellan Sportrack Topo model that I had, about $250. Loved it. Then it broke, being an 11B is hard on equipment. So I then bought a Magellan Explorist 100 for $100. The key is to be able to get a 10 digit grid and mark way points. The Explorist does this easily and more importantly it CHEAP so when you break it, no worries.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I use GPS alot in the field.  The Army issued me a Garmin Rino, and I guess I could draw a PLGR out of the arms room if I wanted.  I also have a Garmin Etrex, base model, $99, that I've had for years.

I really find myself liking the basic Etrex the best.  It's simple, without a lot of bullshit that you don't need.

The Rino will work in a HUMVEE though, if its in the window and you have otherwise good signals.  The built in radio isn't that great and the whole unit is a battery whore compared to less gizmo GPS units.

Bottom line:  the base model Garmin Etrex provides waypoint functions and 10 digit MGRS locations.  Use it in conjunction with a lensatic compass and map and you won't go wrong.  Plus, it's sold in clothing sales stores on base for a little under $100.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm using the Garmin Quest right now.  It's pretty expensive, but is the best you can find with an external antenna port.  This is necesary to get a signal inside an M1114.  There's not much available for cheap with an antena port that I know of.

If you'll be street navigating, get something that shows a map, not just the grid.  The PLGR will give you a grid just fine.  If you want something to keep in a pocket, I've seen a lot of etrex around that seem to work pretty good.

I started with a Rino 120, and wasn't happy with it.  BTW, if anybody's interested, the PX was giving full refunds on Garmin Rinos over here (in Baghdad).  I dumped mine right away and got $250.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top