Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2001 12:08:01 AM EDT
Century, FAC, & Tapco are all selling M16A2 kits of used colt parts, everything except the lower.

Where did these come from? DRMO'd US military rifles? What other country even had that many M16A2's?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard from a close source that they were contracted by Guatemala, used for about 6 months then put in storage in the late 80's.  Condition of kits indicates more carrying than firing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind that none of us can legally order one, as we posess AR15s.  The only way to legally make use of the parts, it to have the kit delivered somewhere other than where you keep your AR, throw away the FA components, then bring the rest home.

Gay? Yes!  But it's the law...
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#3]
My Momma ordered two
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't own any AR's.  I don't own any guns, period.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that none of us can legally order one, as we posess AR15s.  The only way to legally make use of the parts, it to have the kit delivered somewhere other than where you keep your AR, throw away the FA components, then bring the rest home.

View Quote

I think the first post said that the kit included everything except the lower receiver.  So the only FA component that is left that I can think of is the bolt carrier, correct?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.  Everything I know about guns, I learned by reading AR15.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
For anyone who is interested, the M16 auto parts list is at:

[url]www.ar15.com/articles/article.html?article=31[/url]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I understand your point about the receiver, but it doesn't work like that on some guns.  That's how it works with the FAL, but this is because the ATF had determined that converting a semi automatic receiver to accept FA parts is "beyond the scope/ability" of all but the most competent gunsmiths.  They don't care how many FA parts you have, as long as the receiver isn't prepared to accept them in any fashion (Still talking about the FAL here).  

The AR15 and M16 share almost identical receivers.  I think the only difference is a sear pin hole.  Thus, the ATF considers it to be within the scope of the average person to convert it.  Ergo, it's considered a machine gun if you have the FA parts immediately accessable.  They don't even have to be installed for you to be charged!

My point is that you shouldn't assume that because the lack of a receiver is OK on some guns, like the FAL, that it the same with all types.  Not so!

If this wasn't true, I'd have one of those kits, but I'm not touching it otherwise!
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#9]
We need someoene that doesn't have an AR purchase the kits remove the offending components and ship the reamining items to us. I would love to have another upper and some spare parts.  Would this be legal??
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I must be missing something, why did you say this?
[sniper]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Lihr, he said that because DriftPunch said that it would be a crime to possess both this parts kit and an AR-15.  So, Smeghead replied that he didn't own any guns.  Understand now?z
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lihr, he said that because DriftPunch said that it would be a crime to possess both this parts kit and an AR-15.  So, Smeghead replied that he didn't own any guns.  Understand now?z
View Quote

Sucks to have to spell it out for some people, I say let em figure it out on their own.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Uhhh... if you guys want the kit and afraid to have the go-fast parts in the same area as your AR15, why not just use your work address as the shipping address?  Keep the go-fast parts at work or dispose of them before going home.  Unless of course you take your AR to work....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top