Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2006 12:28:44 AM EDT
Just curious, does ATF watch the show?   Isnt an electronic trigger actuator on a semi auto an illegal machinegun?   Is it now okay to manufacture machineguns?    
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#1]
bigger fish to fry
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]
They need to be in prison,because their methods of busting myths are retarded.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Thought hollyweird had exemptions when it came to manufacture of mg's.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Usually they have some sort of law enforcment around when there dealing with guns.. Either local or FBI/ATF....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#5]
nah, their too busy asking for autographs and getting technical advice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Usually they have some sort of law enforcment around when there dealing with guns.. Either local or FBI/ATF....

So i can invite the ATF over to watch while i make a machine gun?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Rules are for normal people. Duh.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I watched the show for the first time tonight.  How often do they need to hire new staff?   "Just a small charge." The guy said.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:11:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just curious, does ATF watch the show?   Isnt an electronic trigger actuator on a semi auto an illegal machinegun?   Is it now okay to manufacture machineguns?    

There are certain permits that allow studios and special effects companies to pretty much do whatever they want when it comes to prop guns and the like.

I don't know if they have such a permit, but it is entirely possible.

If the BATFE wants to go busting the Mythbusters for "making" machine guns, then they have truly lost their minds.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:13:51 AM EDT
[#10]
That stuff with the airplane shows alot of good info.  Makes me less nervous about sky marshalls blasting bad guys at 35k feet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#11]
some of their mythbusting is questionable, but they always take it to the next level and totall destroy/blow up/etc. whatever they were working on.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are certain permits that allow studios and special effects companies to pretty much do whatever they want when it comes to prop guns and the like.

If the BATFE wants to go busting the Mythbusters for "making" machine guns, then they have truly lost their minds.

Awesome!

What does it take to be defined as a "studio"?

Time for a career change...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They need to be in prison,because their methods of busting myths are retarded Jamie's moustache is sooooo ghey.

Fixed it for ya....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Remember when they filled a huge 6ft tall plexiglass container with gasoline vapor and tried to detonate it with a cell phone? I would guess that could be construed as constructing an illegal explosive device.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#15]
They used a spinning disk with a protrusion to fire the pistol, which if they had loaded the magazine with more than one round and allowed to continue spinning, it would have discharged more than one round per action (holding down the 'fire' switch).  They would have been 100% ok if they had designed the device such that it had to be manually reset by a human between shots.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Around the same time they bust the felon hollywood actors (Like Robert Downey Jr. in US Marshalls) for handing real guns on film.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#17]
They aren't religiouse seperatists so they should be OK! If they were...well we know how that goes
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its just a 07 FFL and SOT

Make the make gun on the form 2 when you done with it leave it in your armory or distroy it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#19]
They'll bust the Mythbusters right after they jail Senator Feinstein for developing bioweapons inside her granny panties.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#20]
What exactly did they do and what myth were they trying to bust?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What exactly did they do and what myth were they trying to bust?

old rerun on explosive decompression from a gunshot in a airplane. Busted
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#22]
So if I take a Hand-Cranked Gatlin Gun and attach an electric motor (cordless drill or something) have I created an illegal machinegun?

Gatlin Gun is not an NFA gun.  It is still only firing the cartridges by cranking the handle, but I'm just using electricity to crank it faster!

...............something to ponder!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So if I take a Hand-Cranked Gatlin Gun and attach an electric motor (cordless drill or something) have I created an illegal machinegun?
Gatlin Gun is not an NFA gun.  It is still only firing the cartridges by cranking the handle, but I'm just using electricity to crank it faster!
...............something to ponder!

According to the ATF, yes, you have. A single action (holding the drill's trigger) produces multiple discharges.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#24]
They have Kari. FREE PASS
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As opposed to declaring a shoestring a machine gun?
Or spending millions of dollars, killing an innocent woman, and trampling civil rights just to get a guy who may or may not have cut his shotgun barrel below the legal length?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#26]
BATF will do nothing as long as the message is anti-gun.

One of those major news outlets (not sure if it was Nightline or 60 Minutes) did an expose on how easy it was to convert an AK-47 into full auto during the height of the AW ban in 1989.  They found a "qualified" gunsmith willing to swap out parts and viola, insant machine gun, though they never bothered to show it being shot on full auto.  

No interest then, doubtful any action now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

retarded huh? lol work on commas before you call something retarded.

sorry for being a grammer nazi, its a disease
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#28]
okay they might be safe on that one, the mechanism they used was from a soda machine. it would do one full rotation per electrical pulse... at least in a stock setup. so if the system was stock they would have to send a trigger pulse each time it was fired, a soda machine does not keep dropping sodas when you hold the button down
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry for being a grammar nazi, its a disease

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
okay they might be safe on that one, the mechanism they used was from a soda machine. it would do one full rotation per electrical pulse... at least in a stock setup. so if the system was stock they would have to send a trigger pulse each time it was fired, a soda machine does not keep dropping sodas when you hold the button down

This is technically correct.  ATF does not care what the 'trigger' is, so long as that it does not fire more than one round per activation of it. So long as you must continue to press the 'trigger' over and over for each shot, you haven't created a machine gun.

At least technically.

Now, seeing as ATF lives in fantasy land and produces forth from their rectums 'The LAW,' they would likely classify it a machine gun anyway.

But, I digress. The Mythbusters get a free pass from me because, as was pointed out earlier, they have Kari on the show.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone see the "JAWS" episode , where they took a M1 and shot a scuba air tank in a phony sharks mouth --  that was some good TV !!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I am sure they got the proper permits etc to do what they do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If that wasn't reason enough, Jaime is gay so they are afraid to touch him. Literally and figuritively
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Anyone see the "JAWS" episode , where they took a M1 and shot a scuba air tank in a phony sharks mouth --  that was some good TV !!!

Yeah except jamie (IIRC) kept calling it an M1 Carbine
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Maybe the ATF likes berets?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#37]
some of you guys need to quit worrying about what somebody else does at their job. If you can do better do it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
They'll bust the Mythbusters right after they jail Senator Feinstein for developing bioweapons inside her granny panties.

Euck
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I'm going to get some popcorn and get ready to watch the HarrySacz Show!  do tell Mr. Sacz!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So i can invite the ATF over to watch while i make a machine gun?

I am certain that they would be delighted to do so.

Ask away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would imagine they do, since their "day job" is still running a movie special effects stuido.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that wasn't reason enough, Jaime is gay so they are afraid to touch him. Literally and figuritively

Kari is quite the cute, but liberal, piece of ASS.  I volunteer to perform some deprogramming on her.  She claims she doesn't eat meat........have to test that theory with some tube steak
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
nah, their too busy asking for autographs and getting technical advice.

that right there is funny, I don't care who you are.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kari is quite the cute, but liberal, piece of ASS.  I volunteer to perform some deprogramming on her.  She claims she doesn't eat meat........have to test that theory with some tube steak

You'll be unpleasantly suprised when she decides it time to take a bite
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
BATF will do nothing as long as the message is anti-gun.

Do you ever watch the show? I can't remember anything they've done being anti-gun. In fact, they've destroyed several myths that are probably common to the anti-gun crowd: shooting in a plane will not have drastic decompression effects, shooting a gas tank on a car - even with an "evil .50 cal" - will not cause an explosion, shooting someone will not cause them to fly back like ten feet, bullets (again, including "evil .50 caliber") will not travel far (at ALL) under water, etc.

Come to think of it....they have done a LOT of stuff involving firearms. I'd say a good 10% of the stuff they do involves some good shootin' action.

-----------------------

Also, I have been wondering about the ATF giving the Mythbusters some trouble, but not because of the reasons in this thread. I think they're technically breaking a gun law since they are in San Fransico and have multiple handguns in the studio, which is technically illegal now (or at least it was a few months ago).
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Come to think of it....they have done a LOT of stuff involving firearms. I'd say a good 10% of the stuff they do involves some good shootin' action.
quote]

And blowing shit up.... WOOOO!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Wanna blow up a cement truck? The FBI will help them. They will not get busted.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#49]
OWNED!!!

Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry for being a grammar nazi, its a disease

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

So basically we've all concluded that this myth is...

BUSTED!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top