Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 3:59:38 AM EDT
"Sec. 23-57. Loaded firearms; when prohibited.
(a)     No person shall knowingly possess on his person or shall possess within his control a loaded firearm:
(1)     On a public street, thoroughfare, or other public property except as provided in subsection (b) hereof;
(2)     On private property without the consent of the owner of the private property or person lawfully in charge thereof.
(b)     Paragraph (1) of subsection (a) shall not apply if the firearm is a sidearm and the person in possession thereof has been issued a permit under state law, and the permit explicitly, or the showing made to gain the permit by implication, indicates that the permitting authority contemplated that the permittee be allowed to carry a loaded sidearm on the streets and in public places as when, for example, a permit is issued to an armored car guard. "

This is a law on the books in my city. State does permit CCW (ND), and i hold a valid permit. My take, is that my CCW permit is "a permit issued under state law, that.....the permitte be allowed to carry a loaded firearm.." . Basically, my question is, do you tihnk a CCW permit meets the requirement in red?  Carrying an unloaded firearm is stupid. but getting busted for carrying a loaded gun when not allowed certainyl woudln't help me at all.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Basically, my question is, do you tihnk a CCW permit meets the requirement in red?

Nam, though I sympathize, you are asking someone to provide specific legal advice that you would then rely upon to stay within the law.  Such advice should only come from an attorney in your state with whom you have specifically contacted, or from your state's Attorney General.

Calling the attorney general's office and asking for the deputy AG that deals with firearms cases is the best suggestion to absolutely answer your question (for free).

Wisconsin Department of Justice
P.O. Box 7857
Madison, WI 53707-7857
Phone # 608-266-1221

North Dakota Office of Attorney General
State Capitol
600 E. Boulevard Ave.
Dept. 125
Bismarck, ND 58505
Phone # 701 328-2210
[email protected]

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Very true.

I'm not even in ND at the moment. So it's not a priority or anything. I'm jsut kind of wantering what the consensus is. I'm not sure how long ND's had CCW, but the code is from the early 70's. So i'm guessing more than likely that code is outdated.

Also, on packign .org, it mentions antoher city code, but ont this one. So i kinda figured this one prolly is not effective against CCW holders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top